Brick Haley said...........

law_bee

Dodd-Like
If you can believe this post on the awbawn board

Talked to one of GT's coaches saturday night
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talked to Brick Halley linebacker coach for GT after the game saturday.He is from Gadsden and played at Ala.a&m. I finally had to ask him how they were able to stop our offense. He lowered his voice and looked to see if anyone was listening and then told me that we were too predictable on offense.that they could tell what play we were going to run by the formation we were in. He said that they looked at the Penn St film and that we ran mutiple plays out of the basic I formation, but against USC we ran a simple offense that was easy to defend. He said that they knew that when we would audible that the play was going to the tight end side( I saw this happen many times and thought that Jason had ran us right into where their line was stacked) I asked him his opinion on how to correct our problem. He said that Ensminger was one of the smartest offensive coach's he had coached with(Clemson) and that he knew what to do and that Tuberville had some tuff choices to make.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">http://insiders8.ezboard.com/fauburnfrm2.showMessage?topicID=42328.topic

On TV, the announcers said Tuberville asked Robinson of USC if they were tipping their plays. Guess they were.

our penetration was always to the side where they were running the ball.

I was at the game and have not watched the replay, but I think there is possibly something to this.

I don't know about the quotes from Coach Haley, but the tipping of the plays was obvious in at least one respect.

If you watch the replay, keep track of where #9 (Mix) is for Auburn, anytime he is in the backfield or put into motion, they always run that way. You can see our linebackers and safeties flying to that side as soon as the ball is snapped.

Also notice that most of Auburn's successful running plays were ones without Mix in this role, where it was harder for our guys to anticipate.

Back