But Can Collins "Coach"?

Techbert

Dodd-Like
DwaEETOUYAAYlXI.jpg:large

Do you know how to post videos to Facebook?

Does this mean no more 6 straight bubble screens for 8+ yards? Miami just lost their entire offensive game plan.

His 2015 coaching job at UF is on par or rung below what CPJ did in 2014. That UF offense was absolutely horrible
He was the defensive coordinator, and his defenses were awesome. He had nothing to do with the offense.

CGC is going to win big. He's got a great football staff. I don't think he (or any coaches for that matter) can match Paul Johnson in X's and O's. But our talent particularly along the lines of scrimmage was not on par with teams in P5 conferences under Johnson--he just hated recruiting.
I'm looking forward to bigger, faster and stronger football players that can play smash mouth offense and defense.

CGC is going to win big. He's got a great football staff. I don't think he (or any coaches for that matter) can match Paul Johnson in X's and O's. But our talent particularly along the lines of scrimmage was not on par with teams in P5 conferences under Johnson--he just hated recruiting.
I'm looking forward to bigger, faster and stronger football players that can play smash mouth offense and defense.

The question will be whether he can get UF level athletes in to Tech, and whether he can keep them there.

The impression I got folrom the entire CPJ experience was that the administration wanted to do as good as possible within certain academic limitations. Do those limitations still apply?

The question will be whether he can get UF level athletes in to Tech, and whether he can keep them there.

The impression I got folrom the entire CPJ experience was that the administration wanted to do as good as possible within certain academic limitations. Do those limitations still apply?
Graduation rate will drop off cuz we’ll be sending players to the league after their junior year.

But it’s the price we have to pay

I dont know if we can say CPJ hated recruiting. He had handicaps both from his offensive scheme and the amount of resources provided to him. And no he's not the Dabo type, use God, use social media, do catchy monikers, show up at midnight at a recruit's house type of coach. But that's what recruiting is now. It's showmanship and CPJ is an old school ball coach. Which unfortunately doesn't work anymore. I'm happy we're doing what it takes now but I dont feel like we need to öööö on CPJ to feel better about the new stuff.

We have the showman now. I hope their is some substance to him and not all smoke and mirrors. Only time will tell.

The academic requirements will always be a challenge. He won't be able to recruit the number of good players that UF has. But he will get some players that have offers from Clemson and UGA.
No disrespect to our current roster, but I don't think there are more than 3 or 4 players that would make the depth chart at a top 25 program. And after watching the Minnesota game, I don't think very many would even make their roster.
IMO not only were there academic challenges that hurt CPJ in recruiting, but no really good players wanted to play in his system-- particularly on defense. Also, I think CPJ hated recruiting and refused to kiss-up to good players.

The academic requirements will always be a challenge. He won't be able to recruit the number of good players that UF has. But he will get some players that have offers from Clemson and UGA.
No disrespect to our current roster, but I don't think there are more than 3 or 4 players that would make the depth chart at a top 25 program. And after watching the Minnesota game, I don't think very many would even make their roster.
IMO not only were there academic challenges that hurt CPJ in recruiting, but no really good players wanted to play in his system-- particularly on defense. Also, I think CPJ hated recruiting and refused to kiss-up to good players.

This is just wrong. DL recruiting has been a big weakness. DB recruiting has been solid. LB recruiting average. Wouldn’t be surprised if we have one of the better secondaries in the conference in a few years when the ‘17/‘18 classes are upperclassmen.

Juanyeh, Swilling, Carpenter, Oliver. That’s 4 guys right there just in the secondary that are gonna be really good.

Adams was playing like an all-ACC DT by the end of last season. Chimedza RSed but was one of the biggest recruiting wins we’ve had under CPJ. Pass-rushing DEs has been our weakness and needs to be addressed immediately.

How people think our cupboard is bare - especially on defense - is bizarre to me. The last two classes were two of CPJs better ones.

His 2015 coaching job at UF is on par or rung below what CPJ did in 2014. That UF offense was absolutely horrible
His defense was really good at Florida, but was it that much better than it was before he got there or after he left? Here are Florida's recent national defensive FEI rankings (not looking at ppg allowed because their offense screwed them some years):

2011: 46
2012: 1
2013: 7
2014: 5
--Collins hired as Florida DC---
2015: 22
2016: 6
--Collins goes to Temple--
2017: 55
2018: 26

His defense was really good at Florida, but was it that much better than it was before he got there or after he left? Here are Florida's recent national defensive FEI rankings (not looking at ppg allowed because their offense screwed them some years):

2011: 46
2012: 1
2013: 7
2014: 5
--Collins hired as Florida DC---
2015: 22
2016: 6
--Collins goes to Temple--
2017: 55
2018: 26
The players he coached at Florida were mostly recruited by someone else. Same at Temple. Not throwing shade on his ability, but the "won with Chan's players" slogan was given a lot of credence around here. That said, I think he can coach, and I think he can recruit. What I really hope is that he is assembling a staff of teachers, that can also recruit like hell.

Back