California Loses the Rose Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next step. Get rid of bowls. Go to 16 team playoff.

I am ready to expand the playoffs, but let’s go to 8. With 16 UGA gets in. So, I oppose. I would like to try 8 with this formula - Power 5 Conference Champs are seeded 1-5, highest ranked Group of 5 gets 6 seed, and two at large teams get 7 and 8 seeds. This year that might look like this:
#1 Alabama vs. #8 Notre Dame
#4 Oklahoma vs. #5 Oregon
#2 Clemson vs. #7 Texas A&M
#3 Ohio State vs. #6 Cincinnati

Or, if you chose the same 8, but seeded them based on their rankings:
#1 Alabama vs. #8 Oregon
#4 Texas A&M vs. #5 Notre Dame
#2 Clemson vs. #7 Oklahoma

Either way would work for me. Four quarterfinals on New Year’s followed by the semis and finals could rotate between Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach, Sugar, Orange, and one other Florida Bowl. Whether other bowls continue or not doesn’t really matter to me.

One other way I would tweak things would be to do away with divisions in conferences and let the two highest ranked teams play for the conference championship, just like the ACC did this year. This would avoid mediocre teams pulling an upset in the championship and making the playoffs.

I am ready to expand the playoffs, but let’s go to 8. With 16 UGA gets in. So, I oppose. I would like to try 8 with this formula - Power 5 Conference Champs are seeded 1-5, highest ranked Group of 5 gets 6 seed, and two at large teams get 7 and 8 seeds. This year that might look like this:
#1 Alabama vs. #8 Notre Dame
#4 Oklahoma vs. #5 Oregon
#2 Clemson vs. #7 Texas A&M

Or, if you chose the same 8, but seeded them based on their rankings:
#1 Alabama vs. #8 Oregon
#4 Texas A&M vs. #5 Notre Dame
#2 Clemson vs. #7 Oklahoma

Either way would work for me. Four quarterfinals on New Year’s followed by the semis and finals could rotate between Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach, Sugar, Orange, and one other Florida Bowl. Whether other bowls continue or not doesn’t really matter to me.

One other way I would tweak things would be to do away with divisions in conferences and let the two highest ranked teams play for the conference championship, just like the ACC did this year. This would avoid mediocre teams pulling an upset in the championship and making the playoffs.
I think I still prefer the 6 team idea. Finishing #1 and #2 should still count for something other than hypothetically better seed matchups. Give those two a bye, the other four play for the semis.

I think I still prefer the 6 team idea. Finishing #1 and #2 should still count for something other than hypothetically better seed matchups. Give those two a bye, the other four play for the semis.

Three thoughts

hate the idea of uga potentially being included
love the idea of a 3 round playoff with a bye week
at what point do we admit this is a professional league and these kids are being deprived their due

Three thoughts

hate the idea of uga potentially being included
love the idea of a 3 round playoff with a bye week
at what point do we admit this is a professional league and these kids are being deprived their due
You hit the deep three. @ElCidBUZZingFAN suggested doing away with bowls but I still believe you should keep those for the non-playoff teams. Introduce non-championship tournaments, to be played before the CFP, if that is what it takes to inject a little more value into the now archaic concept. There are a ton of different ways you can go about that. The top ones could rotate in and out of championship and non-championship playoffs.

2020 Postseason
College Football Playoff
Semis: Sugar and Rose
CFP Final: Orange

First Tier Non-Championship Playoff: Tournament of Peaches
Semis: Cotton and Fiesta
Final: Peach

Second Tier Non-Championship Playoff: Citrus Invitational

Semis: Gator and Outback
Final: Citrus

#6-#12 play in the Tournament of Peaches (or Cotton, or Torneo de Fiesta, or whatever) and the Citrus/Gator/Outback Invitational selects the best of the remaining teams. All other non-playoff bowls select from the remaining teams.

This is a sport, not a pageant. Need to eliminate subjective rankings.

8 Div 1 FBS conferences, 16 teams per conference, 8 team champion only playoff

wasn't the creation of the playoffs to take the politics out of the selections? now it's all politics

8 Div 1 FBS conferences, 16 teams per conference, 8 team champion only playoff
Agree. There is a lot of subjectivity to the current system and it’s based on money. Stuff like that means that unworthy Notre Dame in Georgia teams have an advantage in making the playoffs.

Hasn’t college football almost always been a pageant? I’m sure you used to remember when bowls would give invitations with a few weeks in the season left or a champion was declared before the bowls were played.

I like your idea, even if it won’t ever happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back