Can anyone show me a Non-White Jersey....

Buzzilla

I'm all out of bubblegum
that Tech has used or could use that would fit the old Gold and White color scheme that looks worth a damn? I contend that you can not do it. The only non-white jersey that I have seen that looks worth a damn are the blue ones. But I am asking if anyone can show me a gold one that looks good. Anyone?

Looks pretty sharp if you ask me!

a-elder03n.jpg

Debatable on looks -- I like it -- but this guy means business!

a-kfox-100502.jpg

I actually like the gold shirt in the picture with the white #'s better than the new one with blue #'s. I would rather see us in white hats, gold shirts, and white pants so visitors do not wear their home shirts here. I think, in our situation, that is more important than at a place like, say, lsu.

"Can anyone show me a Non-White Jersey....
that Tech has used or could use that would fit the old Gold and White color scheme that looks worth a damn? I contend that you can not do it. The only non-white jersey that I have seen that looks worth a damn are the blue ones. But I am asking if anyone can show me a gold one that looks good. Anyone? "

C'mon Buzzilla,

That's absolutely NOTHING but pure opinion. Some people like shades of gold and some don't like the blue. You seem to think that we should drive our color scheme by your personal sense of aesthetics. Gimme a break.

Personally, I think the true old gold jerseys that we wore in 69 were the best gold. They were true old gold and they were dark enough to:
1. Provide a good contrast to white, and
2. Distinguish us from the wannabees like Purdue.

That's my opinion and it's just as valid as yours.

I agree. The '67-69 cotton OLD GOLD Jerseys looked great. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Check out Goldtimers site, for pictures of almost all Tech unis. The 60's featured the white helmets and gold pants with white jerseys, and white pants with gold jerseys. I think that would be a cool combination when we can't wear white.

Goldtimer's site

Gt69du.jpg

gt65duN.GIF

I agree with Get Wrecked on the late '60s gold jersey with the white hats.

I think they had it figured out correctly that its impossible to match gold cotton with the metallic gold helmets. I would like to see it again... with the white helmets at home. White shirts, yellow britches and gold hats at home. (Navy numerals on the white shirts)

NC, that one with Jack Williams on the keeper looks real good, but for that matter I still prefer the ones from a year or 2 earlier that had white letters with black trim and a GT on each sleeve. Those were totally awesome and I used to have a couple. Oh well, they are long gone now.

'fraid that's a little before my time as a fan RW1, but I'll take your word for it. I just like those white helmets and would love to see a color scheme that let's us use them occassionally.

Originally posted by Buzzilla:
that Tech has used or could use that would fit the old Gold and White color scheme that looks worth a damn? I contend that you can not do it. The only non-white jersey that I have seen that looks worth a damn are the blue ones. But I am asking if anyone can show me a gold one that looks good. Anyone?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

i really liked the blue jersies we wore in 1990, if anyone who has seen the st. louis rams in their blue jersies they look really good

GetWrecked,
I didn't mean to imply that my opinion on colors was any more valuable than any other die-hard Tech fans'. Certainly beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and clearly there is a wide range of opinions on the matter. I guess I was trying to bring into focus what most people can agree is a problem which is making a gold jersey that works in the existing old gold and white color scheme. First off, as has been pointed out on this thread, the gold in the current uniform isn't "Old Gold" at all. It's metallic gold and it looks great(in my opinion). The problem is, how do you come up with a gold jersey that works with the existing metallic gold helmet. The answer....you can't!!! Or at least it hasn't been done yet. SOOO, how do you solve the problem? You can't wear white jersey's all the time so you have to have an alternate color. Unless you change the helmet color, which in some people's eyes is the most aggregious of transgressions, you have to use another color for the jersey. If you can find a gold jersey(old gold, metallic gold, chedder cheese, honey mustard,"vegas" gold, lime gold, etc.) that works with the metallic gold helmet that more than 3 out of 10 Tech fans would say looks good, I'd love to see it. I really would!!! No Kidding!! But it hasn't been done yet. I'm pretty damn certain you could find more than 3 out of 10 that like the blue jersies and the number would be higher if some people could get over this erroneous idea about the sanctity of Tech's Old Gold and White colors.

It's a real problem and sticking our head in the sand and pretending it's not isn't going to change it. Fact is, we can't even agree on the color of gold we're suppossed to use. We have everything in the gold/yellow spectrum including what is actually 100% yellow. Yellow of course was born out of our most identifiable mascot the "Yellow" Jackets....not the "Metallic Gold" Jackets. Buzz doesn't have gold in his outfit, it's YELLOW! Take a look next time you're on campus. Yellow is everywhere. Have you seen the new "Tech Trolly"? It's school bus yellow. So all of this nonsense about the sanctity of Old Gold and White is just that....nonsense and the best thing to do in that situation is to go with whatever scheme is going to look the best which has already been decided by the leadership that runs the Institute and the Athletic Association at least includes some blue and in MY opinion should include the football jersies too when they aren't white. At the very least, out of all this, you have to recognize and admit that there is a problem with the gold jersies and helmets. Right?

Buzzilla,

Sorry. Maybe I came on too strong.

Actually, I do agree with a lot of what you said. You are correct we need to standardize the gold color. But I thought we were on the way to getting it right with the "Chan Gailey" hat. It's just about the right color - JMHO. I think it would be easier to match to the gold helmet also.

I'd like to see that dark gold as the official color jersey...but I don't really have a problem with the blue shirts, as long as it's very, very ocassionally. Again JMHO.

Again, sorry for coming on too strong. Peace.

getwrecked I think the Chan gold is pretty close also. But it would look terrible with our gold helmets IMO. That's why I'm starting my campaign for the 60's white helmet with gold jerseys when we can't wear white. Maybe I'll send a note to Drew Hearn? I mean, it's gold and white right?

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
NC, that one with Jack Williams on the keeper looks real good, but for that matter I still prefer the ones from a year or 2 earlier that had white letters with black trim and a GT on each sleeve. Those were totally awesome and I used to have a couple. Oh well, they are long gone now.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">--------------------------------------------

Ramblin---I completely agree....Those were my favorites as well.....I think it would be easy to re-create that look....

Again, JMHO but I agree that the white helmet would look awesome with those old gold jerseys, but three questions:
1. Is it legal? (to have two helemts in a season)
2. Is it cost prohibitive?
3. Does the QB get used to looking for a certain color helment and might that mess up his automatic reads?

Old Gold helmet, white jersey and old gold pants whenever possible.
White helmet, old gold jersey and white pants when absolutely necessary.
Old Gold helmet, blue jersey and white or old gold pants for "throwback" games only.

I think that's the ultimate solution. JMHO

I do think that would be the ultimate solution.

1. Is it legal? (to have two helemts in a season)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I can answer this one - Sure it is. Mississippi State has worn white helmets occasionally the last couple years along with their burgundy ones. Kentucky has too (switching between royal blue and white helmets). I think Washington State wears silver helmets at home and burgundy on the road.

I'm with you...I'd like to see Tech bring back white helmets as a throwback/alternate.

Back