CFN: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Preview 2022

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Georgia Tech Football Schedule What To Know: What does it all really mean?
Good … luck. There’s Western Carolina, and there’s a home game against Duke. That’s it. Where are the other sure wins with non-conference games against Ole Miss, at UCF, and at Georgia? The next-easiest ACC home game after Duke is either Virginia or Miami. The Yellow Jackets will likely be underdogs in at least ten games. It’s going to take a few mega-breaks to get to six wins.

Author of that piece is a lot more optimistic about the starting 22 than I am.
We'll have decent to good backs. Sims can make plays. He can also do some head scratching stuff. There are numbers at DB but like the man said, don't confuse numbers with depth.
But I have great misgivings about both lines.
I also have not seen evidence Collins can actually coach. His record is Temple is completely meaningless at this point. Neither I am excited or confident in the hires - though those that got shown the door needed to be cut loose.
He is right about the turnovers. We have to force a lot more. Without forcing more, we can't afford to commit any.
Teams used to hate to play us. This team strikes fear into nobody. They do play hard, though.

Got my copy of Lindy’s today and it was a stark reality check concerning where we are and how we are viewed. They do a first, second and third team pre-season all ACC. Giving three points for a first teamer, two for second and one for third, the totals are: Clemson - 30, N C State and Pitt - 17, BC - 12, Miami - 11, Wake and Louisville - 10, Virginia Tech - 9, Syracuse - 8, UVA and FSU - 7, Duke - 5, UNC - surprisingly only 4, and we have 1 point, Charlie Thomas a third team LB.

We return fewer starters than any other conference team. Nationally we are ranked 85. The only P5 teams ranked lower are Kansas at 86, Vandy at 87, Syracuse at 89 and Duke at 91. That’s 59th out of 64 P5 schools. Six teams in the AAC, 5 in the MW, 4 in the Sun Belt, 4 independents, and 3 in both the MAC and CUSA are rated higher.

All of this is to say that Coach Collins and the staff and team face quite a challenge. In year 4 one would hope the recruiting and player development would have yielded better personnel. We have to beat Western and Duke and then try to pick up some upset wins along the way. This is why I said I would keep Collins and accept we are improving with as few as five wins. The cupboard is as bare as I have seen at Tech. Of course, I like our players, but compared to others those who make a living covering college football just don’t see us with much talent. This would be his best coaching year by far if he could win 5 or more with this roster.

This season's W/L hinges on 2 key factors:
- TE play allowing Long to scheme mismatches in personnel
- Stopping the run (even if it means we're dead last in pass defense, the logic should be self apparent)

Got my copy of Lindy’s today and it was a stark reality check concerning where we are and how we are viewed. They do a first, second and third team pre-season all ACC. Giving three points for a first teamer, two for second and one for third, the totals are: Clemson - 30, N C State and Pitt - 17, BC - 12, Miami - 11, Wake and Louisville - 10, Virginia Tech - 9, Syracuse - 8, UVA and FSU - 7, Duke - 5, UNC - surprisingly only 4, and we have 1 point, Charlie Thomas a third team LB.

We return fewer starters than any other conference team. Nationally we are ranked 85. The only P5 teams ranked lower are Kansas at 86, Vandy at 87, Syracuse at 89 and Duke at 91. That’s 59th out of 64 P5 schools. Six teams in the AAC, 5 in the MW, 4 in the Sun Belt, 4 independents, and 3 in the MAC and CUSA are rated higher.

All of this is to say that Coach Collins and the staff and team face quite a challenge. In year 4 one would hope the recruiting and player development would have yielded better personnel. We have to beat Western and Duke and then try to pick up some upset wins along the way. This is why I said I would keep Collins and accept we are improving with as few as five wins. The cupboard is as bare as I have seen at Tech. Of course, I like our players, but compared to others those who make a living covering college football just don’t see us with much talent. This would be his best coaching year by far if he could win 5 or more with this roster.
I'd agree on everything except keeping Collins for 5. Point blank, it was his job to have us in a better personnel position by now and this is entirely of his doing that we're having a rebuild season in terms of returning production. That it is after a 3 win season is only more laughable. I do appreciate you bringing this point up. My previous posts on the subject have not been well received.

Back