Chan Gailey Call In Show 11/14/02

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Talk about the heartbreaking loss against FSU... the guys practiced pretty well this week...

Gailey talks about being mentally and physically ready, but that we also need to be emotionally ready to play this weekend... congrats to Honeycutt on a job well done... he held his own against FSU... The status on AJ is that he is sick... he is hurting pretty bad... hopefully will be able to practice today... not sure at this point.

Next call in show will be Nov 27, 12 noon...

Caller: When are we going to finally make a decision on the QB slots... the two mistakes Sat was bad... (this guy is hot) wants to know if we truly mean what we say about winning the ACC and beating Georgia every year...

Gailey: "Did you like the way he played in the previous two games" .. Gailey talks about performance in practice... and suggests to the caller that maybe they should have hired him to coach the team instead...

Caller: Comments on the duke game... and how difficult it will be..

Gailey: Two words.. Wake Forest... Duke is not the same team... much better football team...

Caller: Team played hard... comment on officiating... talks about Ga and FSU being taught to push off... are we considering the same tactics.. how is phillips doing.. how many commitments do we have

Gailey: Gailey is not sure he knows what pass interference anymore... talks about the Hester call etc.. we dont teach our guys to push off and take the flag... we try to cover as tight as we can without breaking the rules... Jeremy is out this week... no more structural damage.. hopefully back by Georgia... we have 4 committments... cant really talk about it.. feel like we are in good shape but you dont really know until February.

Caller: Analysis of the game was that we had 3 turnovers and they had 2 big plays... if we had just played a normal game, he thinks we win the game.. .question about a 2nd quarter calls where we threw the ball 3 straight times... also comments about us having difficulty on shaking defenders loose...

Gailey: Talked to BOB after the game... and BOB said that if he had to do it over again he would probably have called at least one run... the thought process is that if you are near the 8,9 10, yard line you tend to pass.. closer than that you tend to run...

GT is 2nd in 3rd down conversions this year...(defensively)

FSU punted 10 times in the game on Saturday

Caller: Congrats on a heck of a turnaround on the season... why do we start Suggs... and what is the diff between Bilbo and Suggs in practice

Gailey: AJ is a better player at this point... AJ has command over a broader range of the various packages... He is just farther ahead of Bilbo at this point.

Caller: Doing a great job ... would like to know if we will see Jonathan Smith playing QB inside the red zone

Gailey: Maybe ! We will see it.. but where we see it.. lets just wait on that..

Caller: Comment on QB play.. thinks the Tech fans have been spoiled by Joe and George... but think they forget Joe struggled his first year etc.. looks like AJ is starting pick it up... asks about injured players... how are they doing

Gailey: He is doing a better job.. did he have a tough day last Sat.. yes he did... hopefully some of these naysayers will be on his side in the future... Gathers seems to be in great spirits.. may be able to resume working out and back in school in January... not sure where Leron is, not sure if he will make it back... the bloodclots are a real problem... just not sure... Gavin had a shoulder surgery, still in rehab.. should be back by spring... Hollings is still very much involved with the team... is recuping

Caller: Hhow healthy is Ace? Can we Redshirt Mike Sampson... question about the Hester interference call, was tht a good call .. and how many verbal committments do we have?

Gailey: ACE is healthy... he is a pounder kind of back... and our offense has evolved to more of a spread offense over the past few weeks... he his healthy.. just dont see him much because of the offensive package... cannot redshirt Sampson this year... we have to find a way to get him on the field more... in Gaileys opinion the call stunk... and we have 4 commits

Discussion on Duke... they have taken some of the old west coast type offense and incorporated it into the offense... they are moving the football.. they are making alot more big plays than in years past... they have some good athletes... run to the left most of the time...

Caller: Very pleased with the progress.. .could have packed it in ... demonstrated great character...

Gailey: Gailey says this has a great deal to do with the seniors, they have been great leaders this year... permanent captains were selected this week.. 17 different seniors got votes .. that tells you how this senior class is viewed by the team...

Caller: observation.. offense is playing much better.. but the defense .. Key Fox was an animal last week... talks about how we have closed the gap speed wise with FSU

Gailey: We do have team speed... just got to get over the hump... guys are beginning to understand the defensive concepts better... we are closing the gap... have to continue to close the gap... motto for recruiting.. can they run and hit

Chan asks if Ciraldo is the "toe meets leather guy" (fodder for Beeware)

'51 and '52 team anniversary day this weekend .. as well as Senior Day...

Talks about the importance of this game this weekend.... very important ball game.. plus its Senior Day.. etc.

Caller: We are behind you 100%... question about will 7 wins get us to a bowl?

Gailey: It should... these deals are usually lined up before we play Georgia... so we should know within the next two weeks after the Duke game..

Talks about Coach D being a good coach.. excellent recruiter... his impact is being seen by the play of our OL line this year...

Caller: How is recruiting going... how many commits can we take this year... heck of a ball game last Sat..

Gailey: We will sign 23-25 guys this year... depends on a few things... recruiting is going well... every coach says recruiting is going great.. in his opinion, recruiting is going great... from football players that THEY determine are good football players.... want to make sure we are making good decisions on a guy all the way around...

Caller: What is the status on Hollings and Gathers

Gailey: Tony is doing very well.. rehabbing at this point.. doing a super job.. will not go thru spring practice... but should be 100% next fall... hoping Gathers will be back in Jan...

Jacketguy, the master of the call in show recap!! Others have been as well. What a contribution of the board this is! Much appreciated.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Caller: When are we going to finally make a decision on the QB slots... the two mistakes Sat was bad... (this guy is hot) wants to know if we truly mean what we say about winning the ACC and beating Georgia every year...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I swear this guy said words to the effect of, "When are you going to realize that AJ is not going to win us championships or help us beat UGA." Did I hear this wrong? I thought he was way off base and could have presented himself better. My version might explain Gailey's response.

Then he contradicted Gailey's statement that Suggs does more and shows it in practice. The caller said something like, "I've been to enough of them to see it myself". Wes wisely 'hung up' on this obviously irate and antagonistic caller.

Originally posted by BuzzFlowerz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by jacketguy:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I swear this guy said words to the effect of, "When are you going to realize that AJ is not going to win us championships or help us beat UGA." Did I hear this wrong? I thought he was way off base and could have presented himself better. My version might explain Gailey's response.

Then he contradicted Gailey's statement that Suggs does more and shows it in practice. The caller said something like, "I've been to enough of them to see it myself". Wes wisely 'hung up' on this obviously irate and antagonistic caller.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Holy smokes! That guy must have been something.
mad.gif

This I'm going to have to hear on replay when it's posted later. Goodness.

Thanks for the report.

The guy had five days to come up with a way to ask the coach about the QB situation and that is the best he could do? You'd think people would think up an intellegent, well thought out way of expressing their opinions on these shows.

Plus, Gailey has been pretty solid in his support for AJ so what do the callers expect? He isn't the type of person to go "you know what, he does suck. Bilbo starts this week". I'd be disappointed if he did bash AJ in public.

Originally posted by BuzzFlowerz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by jacketguy:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Buzz.. you are absolutely correct... the words were flying around so quickly there was no way I could get all of that... but he was hot, and chastised Gailey for playing AJ... Gailey got his hair up as well... you could tell that he didnt appreciate being questioned that way... personally I dont think there is anything wrong with the questioning... but I do think the caller could have used a little more tact.. been a little more professional... but I liked the challenge to Gailey, a challenge isnt a bad thing

And for all of the thank you's .. you all are more than welcome... I realize that everyone could listen to it on the streaming audio.. but think having it in written format makes it easier for everyone to post comments on this board...

Go Jackets !!

jacketguy,

I agree on questioning the coaches. After all, that is the point of the show. I just wish people didn't sound like idiots doing it. I personally agree that Bilbo should see more playing time but coming after the coach like that only makes him defensive and less likely to take his opinion seriously.

Bring up good points on why you feel your opinion is correct and then leave it up to him to counter those points. However, like I said before, he isn't go to say anything new. He will always say that AJ is further along than Bilbo. Even if some of us believe that the gametime play doesn't back that up. If he didn't feel that AJ was the best choice he wouldn't be starting him.

By ALL means, call up and ask the coach difficult questions, but sober up before hand and don't phrase it or 'tone' it so that it sounds like a personal attack. He presented himself extremely poorly in my opnion. Am interested to hear what y'all think after the replay.

Great recap. Thanks. It's a good thing our call in show isn't the very next night like another in-state school's is!

We are beaten up! GOTTA GET A "W" and then GET HEALTHY! Go Jackets, Go Auburn!

uga_safety_bulletin.jpg

YEAH JACKETGUY!!! This is the BEST thing we see on this board during the week heading up to gametime. I can't hear anything at home since the sound on my computer isn't working, so this is a GODSEND! Thanks again!

BEAT DUKE!

Back