Changes to the redshirt rules.

Is it retroactive? Like can Connor Hansen apply for last year to be a RS because he played in like one series in one game due to injury

Let's take it a small step further, I say, and get rid of the NCAA.

You realize the NCAA does not make any rules?

They only enforce the rules the college Presidents (or their reps) pass into being and tell the NCAA to enforce.

What organization would you foresee, one where college administrators have no voice?

OK by me.

You realize the NCAA does not make any rules?

They only enforce the rules the college Presidents (or their reps) pass into being and tell the NCAA to enforce.

Oh, cool. Where and when do these presidents meet to determine these rules, and what do they call that group and meeting?

They should eliminate the time frame clock. Players should have four seasons of participation. The duration of those four seasons should not matter.

Is it retroactive? Like can Connor Hansen apply for last year to be a RS because he played in like one series in one game due to injury

Doesn't appear to be retroactive. It would also give TaQuon an extra year, if so.

This could be abused by teams using their best RS players for the biggest 4 games of the year.

Factories with more depth benefit.
I'm not sure I see that as abuse. Give kids a chance to play. They spend a lot of time training, practicing, meeting, etc. Let 'em play in some games.

Not sure this benefits the 'factories' more than smaller programs anyhow... we've often got 22 players that could play anywhere, but not 85 players that could play anywhere – so the occasional random injury can create a significant problem for game-day roster management.

To have another player available to fill in for an injured player in a game or two could be a big help for us, simply because we have less depth than bigger programs.

I'm not sure I see that as abuse. Give kids a chance to play. They spend a lot of time training, practicing, meeting, etc. Let 'em play in some games.

Not sure this benefits the 'factories' more than smaller programs anyhow... we've often got 22 players that could play anywhere, but not 85 players that could play anywhere – so the occasional random injury can create a significant problem for game-day roster management.

To have another player available to fill in for an injured player in a game or two could be a big help for us, simply because we have less depth than bigger programs.
A player gets hurt and is sitting out having played only two games. He gets better, but is still not playing. His replacement gets hurt and has to miss some games. The recovered player gets to play in his place. If the schedule cooperates, both kids could play four games, meaningful games, other players could see the field for a Bowling Green or Mercer type game. And at the end of the day both guys could see action, get some experience and come back next year with four years eligibility left. It would take some "eligibility management skill" but I hope we are already monitoring that. It would also allow marginal players to get limited playing time (mop up, etc) without burning redshirts, allowing the better players to be off the field in situations where the game has been decided.

I agree, it could help us because of our relative lack of depth, but just think how the bigger programs will be able to increase their depth, especially against weaker opponents. I could foresee FSU or Clempsen playing 11 subs for an entire game against weaker teams, and redshirting 20 or 25 or more players at the end of the year. The preseason mags would say "they return 18 of 22 starters, 32 redshirt freshmen, and 20 upperclassmen who played significant minutes last season." Of course, we might say the same.

A player gets hurt and is sitting out having played only two games. He gets better, but is still not playing. His replacement gets hurt and has to miss some games. The recovered player gets to play in his place. If the schedule cooperates, both kids could play four games, meaningful games, other players could see the field for a Bowling Green or Mercer type game. And at the end of the day both guys could see action, get some experience and come back next year with four years eligibility left. It would take some "eligibility management skill" but I hope we are already monitoring that. It would also allow marginal players to get limited playing time (mop up, etc) without burning redshirts, allowing the better players to be off the field in situations where the game has been decided.

As a guy who went to tech, imagining my Alma mater carefully managing intricate overlapping constraints consistently for any of it's students even once a semester gives me literal lifelong nightmares. Imagining them doing it on a weekly basis, with a real-time component, makes me do that crazy people laughter thing that results in my wife reflexively pouring bourbon.

I think it's a great idea, but my tech PTSD is going ham right now.

They should eliminate the time frame clock. Players should have four seasons of participation. The duration of those four seasons should not matter.

As in 4 seasons = 48 regular season games? So you could bring a player along with them playing in 4, 6, 6, 8, 12, 12 games over 6 seasons?

That means NFL (and MLB and NBA) players who left school early can return to school after several years and still be eligible to play while finishing earning their degree.
No it doesn’t. The eligibility clock need have no effect on the amateur status rule.

Back