CJP has earned an extension

rapier7

Varsity Lurker
In 2010, I saw our squad with Derrick Favors and Shumpert get past the first round of the Big Dance by shooting 50/50 at the free throw line and then get outplayed by Ohio State. When I got out of Tech that same year, I never would have thought that a full decade would elapse before we made it to the tournament again. Well, barring absolute shenanigans by the selection committee, we're going to be dancing again in mid-March. And we've got a squad that can make some noise in the tournament.

At the beginning of this season, when we lost to State and Mercer, I was on the fire Pastner wagon with just about everybody else here. But here we are, 11-6 in ACC play with a double bye to start the ACC tournament and an all-but-guaranteed ticket to the Dance with an experienced, underrated squad ready to overachieve.

This might be Stockholm syndrome, or the soft bigotry of low expectations, or whatever you wanna call it. But I feel like CJP has earned an extension. In 5 seasons, he's had 2 winning ACC seasons. Paul Hewitt, in his 11 year tenure here, had only 1 winning season (9-7 at that). Brian Gregory has 0 in 5 seasons (the closest he got was 8-10 in his final season. And our upcoming recruiting class is nationally ranked. For the first time since I got out of this ööööing school, I'm feeling good about our basketball program.

Pastner has earned his due. Extend him.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
In 2010, I saw our squad with Derrick Favors and Shumpert get past the first round of the Big Dance by shooting 50/50 at the free throw line and then get outplayed by Ohio State. When I got out of Tech that same year, I never would have thought that a full decade would elapse before we made it to the tournament again. Well, barring absolute shenanigans by the selection committee, we're going to be dancing again in mid-March. And we've got a squad that can make some noise in the tournament.

At the beginning of this season, when we lost to State and Mercer, I was on the fire Pastner wagon with just about everybody else here. But here we are, 11-6 in ACC play with a double bye to start the ACC tournament and an all-but-guaranteed ticket to the Dance with an experienced, underrated squad ready to overachieve.

This might be Stockholm syndrome, or the soft bigotry of low expectations, or whatever you wanna call it. But I feel like CJP has earned an extension. In 5 seasons, he's had 2 winning ACC seasons. Paul Hewitt, in his 11 year tenure here, had only 1 winning season (9-7 at that). Brian Gregory has 0 in 5 seasons (the closest he got was 8-10 in his final season. And our upcoming recruiting class is nationally ranked. For the first time since I got out of this ööööing school, I'm feeling good about our basketball program.

Pastner has earned his due. Extend him.
It would be bad form to not give him an extension after this season.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
How long and how much additional money? Remember the Hewitt reward for the NCAA run. This season is great but we may well go back downhill next year. I would prefer to wait until he strings together two solid seasons.

swampsting

Dodd-Like
I'd like to see Pastner get a new deal too
I wasn't about to jump off the ledge after losing to Mercer. Going to 4OTs against Ga State contributed to that defeat. That, and Pastner decided he was going back to contact in practice.
FWIW, Ga State and Mercer are in their respective conference finals. They too might make the tournament. They'll have to win since the Sun Belt and SoCon are one-bid leagues.

We don't always play smart (what team does) but we play hard and we are tactically miles ahead of where we were under CPH. Pastner, to me, has shown he can be an Xs and Os coach, and he had made his hay as a recruiter before coming here. And as mentioned, looks like we got a good recruiting class coming in. We're gonna lose some good players but it looks like we got good ones on the way too.

Hard to believe that Hewitt stat given the talent he recruited. Wow.

Pastner and staff did a great job with this year's team. They're winning because of development, not new talent

rapier7

Varsity Lurker
How long and how much additional money? Remember the Hewitt reward for the NCAA run. This season is great but we may well go back downhill next year. I would prefer to wait until he strings together two solid seasons.
I'm not suggesting anything as idiotic as a perpetually renewing contract. But he has 3 seasons left on his contract. I think he's probably due for a 3 season extension averaging ~2.2M per year. Like coit said, it's not a good look if we don't extend him after having a good season with less than 4 years to go on his current deal.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
I like how “winning record in the ACC” is now the baseline for success. Y’all realize that as much as you hate Hewitt, that any stretch of 5 seasons he had were better than the current 5 year run?

I wouldn’t extend JP for more than 2 years; he’s earned some sort of bump though at this point

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I'm not suggesting anything as idiotic as a perpetually renewing contract. But he has 3 seasons left on his contract. I think he's probably due for a 3 season extension averaging ~2.2M per year. Like coit said, it's not a good look if we don't extend him after having a good season with less than 4 years to go on his current deal.
Two additional years seems more than reasonable to me. That still adds a significant buyout cost if we collapse next season. I do not see any teams lining up to pursue Pastner.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Never been ranked, put on probation and finally make a tournament by beating a ööööty Duke team the last week of the season ? By all means...

Beeski

Damn Good Rat
It helps recruiting, so yes.
I would also put Eric Reveno on a 5 year contract.

bonham

Dodd-Like
He has shown steady improvement. In both results and recruiting. Extend him.

00Burdell

Dodd-Like
Let’s go a year or two without getting the program put on probation. Thanks.
Pretty sure we have seen the last of that nonsense. And the incoming class demonstrates that he can recruit. Couple more classes like this one and we will be in very good shape.

So think ahead to 2022/2023 when the incoming recruiting class has a year or two under their belt and when the football team starts to mature. Future is looking good, gents.