CJP has earned an extension

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Consistently this season you’ve declined to speculate about the possibility of Tech doing well.

Which is weird cause that’s like the main characteristic of being a fan.
We literally weren’t a tournament team until the last week of the season. We are in no danger of a school stealing Pastner from us. This extension talk is nonsense

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
We literally weren’t a tournament team until the last week of the season. We are in no danger of a school stealing Pastner from us. This extension talk is nonsense
You can rest easy. I guarantee Tech will not give Pastner an extension before we see what happens the next few weeks.

18in32

Petard Hoister
You seem to be missing my point. Oh well!

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Bro...we are a projected 11 seed. We are building statues, retiring jerseys and renaming the court.
This is not a factual post. While we may be a projected seed, projections are meaningless and not facts and there are projections for a wide variety of projected guesses. We are not doing the statue or jersey or renaming things. Lev could have written it.

What is factual is we are a #4 acc seed. We had the ACC POTY who was an unheralded recruit. We had the ACC DPOTY. Those are facts.

While you may want to dwell on where we were 6 games ago, I note we have finished strong the last two years, and that is a characteristic I value in a team.

jts1207

This is not a factual post. While we may be a projected seed, projections are meaningless and not facts and there are projections for a wide variety of projected guesses. We are not doing the statue or jersey or renaming things. Lev could have written it.

What is factual is we are a #4 acc seed. We had the ACC POTY who was an unheralded recruit. We had the ACC DPOTY. Those are facts.

While you may want to dwell on where we were 6 games ago, I note we have finished strong the last two years, and that is a characteristic I value in a team.

6 games? We weren’t in 2 games ago. iiwii

jts1207

Again, speculative and not factual. And not relevant today regardless.
Ok. So we aren’t a tournament team yet because speculation......even more of a reason this discussion is nonsense

jts1207

You seem to be avoiding the above like kryptonite.
Kryptonite lol? No reason for extension. I’d prefer a season not on probation and one where the rest of the conference plays all the games. You can maybe have an argument with a few wins in the tournament.

gtphd

He / Him / His
This is not a factual post.
OK, lets look at facts: 1 of 5 with a recruiting class in the top 10 of the ACC, 1 (assumed) of 5 on NCAA Tournament births, 2 of 5 finishing in the top 10 of the ACC, lack of institutional control NCAA violation, post season ban, national ridicule

Is that enough for an extension? It depends on your expectation of GT basketball. If the last 10 years of GT basketball is your expectation of the program, Paster has been above expectation. My expectation is the 10 years before that: consistently top half of the ACC, NCAAT birth every other year, occasional deep run in the NCAAT, and no significant NCAA violations. Using that bar, Pastner has not earned an extension.

johncu

Dodd-Like
OK, lets look at facts: 1 of 5 with a recruiting class in the top 10 of the ACC, 1 (assumed) of 5 on NCAA Tournament births, 2 of 5 finishing in the top 10 of the ACC, lack of institutional control NCAA violation, post season ban, national ridicule

Is that enough for an extension? It depends on your expectation of GT basketball. If the last 10 years of GT basketball is your expectation of the program, Paster has been above expectation. My expectation is the 10 years before that: consistently top half of the ACC, NCAAT birth every other year, occasional deep run in the NCAAT, and no significant NCAA violations. Using that bar, Pastner has not earned an extension.
Misleading post, because trends absolutely matter.

Our best season is the current one, our 2nd best is the previous one, and our best recruiting class is the incoming one. All of the aforementioned player accolades (ACC POY, ACC DPOY) are also current. Meanwhile, all of the negative stuff is in the past.

If the trend reverses and we go back to 2017-2019 results, then any benefit of the doubt Pastner has earned this year is gone. If they don't, then it's obvious that he is building something worth holding onto.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

I disagree on several points.

One:. You are overstating our success in the prior ten years as"top half of the ACC". In those 10 years how many were we above 500?

Two: Ron is old news. We didn't fire him for cause then, when our record and recruiting was far worse, so to be certain it's not a major factor now.

Three:. Most important, you seem fixated on "body of work" weighing all five years equally. Obviously year 5 matters astronomically more than year 1 or 2 or 3. Particularly when year -1 to -5 was garbage.

Four:. Is anyone going to "steal" Pastner today? Nope. What if we make a little run? What if we make a big run?

I have said this since year 1. Someone on staff right now can coach basketball. Might be CJP might be others carrying him, but you gotta be a sports ignoramus to not recognize coaching right now is orders of magnitude better than PH and Gregory. What was missing year 1-4 was recruiting.

I have zero doubt this is one of the top 8 coaching staffs in the ACC, and as such will keep us in the "consistently top half of the ACC, NCAAT birth every other year, occasional deep run in the NCAAT, and no significant NCAA violations.". Over the last two years we have been top half and then some, and made one of two NCAAT (presumably). That is the floor. If we continue to recruit OK, we could be top 4.

Not recognizing that we are at an acceptable GT level (by your own standard of) top half of ACC now could come back to bite us in future negotiations and I don't want to roll the dice that we can assemble another top half of ACC staff. So if we give him another year that seems appropriate. If we don't I'll support TS with that also.

Everyone has to expect we regress next year with our senior laden team moving on, but I bet the coaching being decent will still be obvious.

jts1207

I disagree on several points.

One:. You are overstating our success in the prior ten years as"top half of the ACC". In those 10 years how many were we above 500?

Two: Ron is old news. We didn't fire him for cause then, when our record and recruiting was far worse, so to be certain it's not a major factor now.

Three:. Most important, you seem fixated on "body of work" weighing all five years equally. Obviously year 5 matters astronomically more than year 1 or 2 or 3. Particularly when year -1 to -5 was garbage.

Four:. Is anyone going to "steal" Pastner today? Nope. What if we make a little run? What if we make a big run?

I have said this since year 1. Someone on staff right now can coach basketball. Might be CJP might be others carrying him, but you gotta be a sports ignoramus to not recognize coaching right now is orders of magnitude better than PH and Gregory. What was missing year 1-4 was recruiting.

I have zero doubt this is one of the top 8 coaching staffs in the ACC, and as such will keep us in the "consistently top half of the ACC, NCAAT birth every other year, occasional deep run in the NCAAT, and no significant NCAA violations.". Over the last two years we have been top half and then some, and made one of two NCAAT (presumably). That is the floor. If we continue to recruit OK, we could be top 4.

Not recognizing that we are at an acceptable GT level (by your own standard of) top half of ACC now could come back to bite us in future negotiations and I don't want to roll the dice that we can assemble another top half of ACC staff. So if we give him another year that seems appropriate. If we don't I'll support TS with that also.

Everyone has to expect we regress next year with our senior laden team moving on, but I bet the coaching being decent will still be obvious.
So you’re already planning on no tournament next year? So 1 appearance in 6 years then? Yikes

jts1207

Regress from 4th in the ACC doofus.
It’s 4th this year by luck nuts but that’s another conversation. I don’t think we will see 4th again for a long time

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
It’s 4th this year by luck nuts but that’s another conversation. I don’t think we will see 4th again for a long time
Bullshit. We shoulda been 3rd but VT covided a dream schedule ducking FSU, the 2nd UVA game, red hot NCSt at the end of the season, as well as unc and lou. Also we were 5th last year, which is sniffing top 4, so it's not like it came out of nowhere.

I summed up the last two years and we are at 59.4% in conference. FSU, UVA, LOU, and Duke are better, with UNC at 55.6% and nobody else above 52.8%.

GCdaJuiceMan

Varsity Lurker

Can you share whatever it is you are smoking?

SeasonAcc finishNCAA y/n
10 to 11tied 10/12N
09 to 10solo 7/12Y
08 t0 09solo 12/12N
07 to 08solo 7/12N
06 to 07solo 6/12Y
05 to 06solo 11/12N
04 to 05solo 5/11Y
03 to 04solo 4/9Y
02 t0 03solo 5/9N
01 to 02solo 6/9N
00 to 01solo 5/9Y