Clough, Braine, and Gailey

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Bisher's statement in Sundays paper about Braine and Clough was a scoop that should have been on the front page of the sports in my opinion. Now how can we expect a great deal out of someone ready to bail but is refused? Obviously Stingtalk is not the only source of displeasure about the job performance of Braine, Gailey, and now Clough. 51-7 in my opinion has awaken a sleeping giant! I am speaking the Tech family! Alumni and loyal fans are making themselves heard as maybe never before. It is good to see this. I'll wager Georgia fans would never have expected this kind of reaction from us. In a way 51-7 maybe a good thing in that it is recreating a competitive spirit many probably thought we lacked and the Bulldogs will rue the day they beat on us so badly. If and I am starting to believe it has Gailey at long last has awaken. Don't know how that will translate to improved coaching decisions but that is another subject. Braine and Clough need to get with the program! Fishing Trips and such need to be postponed because there is too much work to be done. I know they are not recruiting or watching film but they need to assume the leadership we need to see out of them! So far this spring all we have seen is whining from Braine and Clough has completely lost touch with the Alumni and the fans. They both appear to be caught off guard what 51-7 has brought down on their collective heads. If Gailey is in gear that is just dandy. I hope so because in my opinion he is the only one deserving to wear pants among the three.

Agree. I have posted consistently about the 51-7 not being an anomoly in our program.

I stated before the game we were headed for disaster. Days off and such. It was obvious both publicly and now privately our approach to the game was inferrior to Georgia's.

The learning curve from pro to college, which surprises me because Gailey surely did run things at Troy, was larger than anyone imagined. I think the thought of the day is that GOL had things somewhat in place and that that a measured, low-key guy would take them to the next level by getting some of the "pressure" off the players and they would like him more. Wrong thought.

I would submit that relaxing the appearance code, strength and conditioning etc. contributed to an overall result of less pride, dumb penalties and lack of motivation that reached it's apex with the last two games.

Further hindsight of facts that have emerged - Braine/Clough's academic support reorg and Gailey's offer to have taken a couple of well-respected assistants from the previous staff point to meddling from Braine that is counterproductive. Yes, some went to Notre Dame. But the one assistant besides Spencer forced onto Gailey in the key role of off. coordinator was OB, and he was off to NDame as well and now sits at Maryland.

More and more the picture is developing that yes, Gailey deserves some blame - calling timeout for Clemson, not prepping for UGA etc.Gailey has at least hinted he has a little more resolve. But all things considered, I've also stated it's not about wins/losses - it's about where we are headed. Until Braine/Clough get their act in gear it's not going to matter who is on the sideline - we will become another UNC - all the potential in the world with a revolving door of coaches.

Good points. Not to get off subject too much, but Troy State isn't really a good example of major college football (and I realize that that wasn't what you were implying). If we are to assume Gailey learned how to run a college program from his days at Troy State, then that is part of the problem. The biggest concern Gailey probably had at Troy was trying to get the cows off the practice field in time every afternoon.
BOO

Back