Coach Collins Press Conference

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Coach Collins has now learned why Paul Johnson hated Quinlan so much....

He asked why Coach Collins doesn't yell at kids on the sidelines and CGC went into a very passionate defense of his approach. He was fired up the rest of the call. Lol.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
He asked why Coach Collins doesn't yell at kids on the sidelines and CGC went into a very passionate defense of his approach. He was fired up the rest of the call. Lol.
Here's a quote:

"I've been around Kelly Quinlan and others" who don't come to work with a positive attitude every day... "I want to build something, not tear it down."

Hahahhaha, sick burn.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Haven't listened yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing a Collins presser that actually deviates from the norm.
Same. I'd also like to hear the post-Clemson radio show, which still hasn't hit the podcast feed...

JRjr

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I didn't think it was a bad question; maybe a little silly; it is a common "fan" thought: "why don't you yell more"

I thought it was a great/perfect answer and there was no grey area; you understand why he does what he does and why he thinks the other way is wrong. He either has thought about it in great detail or was very quick to answer with the detail he used.

FWIW, I thought some of the other answers were a little more vague and not as interesting.

Also, I probably have said this before: I sat right behind the bench for a couple of games last year. I didn't see yelling and screaming or cussing coming from the coaches but I saw a lot of firm, strong correction. The DT coach took a player to the side and really got onto him and you could see the player knew he had screwed up. Thacker got hot about something and told another coach to get it fixed.

codeblue

Varsity Lurker
I am glad to hear a little fire from Collins. I have heard the sales pitch, but its nice to see the passion.

Tshirt Man

Varsity Lurker
I am glad to hear a little fire from Collins. I have heard the sales pitch, but its nice to see the passion.
I agree, it was nice to hear something other than the used car sales pitch. It sounded more honest and sincere and gives me hope that his way will work. He definitely seems to believe in it and ain't just selling a gimmick.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
1. It's not the media's job to be CGC's friend.
2. I said it way back when, perhaps here or on TOS, that if he gets off to a bad start (like 5-13), they will turn on him and the softball questions will start being fastballs on the knuckles.
3. He can still use the media to get his message out. Neither it is his job to be their friend. But he can still be accommodating. PJ may not have had the best relationship with the media (though you could see some of the fun he could have with him when someone's phone went off next to him one day and he looked at the caller's name during the weekly presser) but he also tried to give them time and access when they asked for it outside of usual press availabilities.
4. Granted, Tech isn't on the top of the radar on the Atlanta sports media's talking points list. But it's higher up on the Atlanta list than Temple football is on the Philly sports media totem pole. Even from the notoriously harsh Philly media, he probably never got a lot of challenging questions. Now, he's getting those kinds of questions. No matter how he answers, he should have anticipated getting them at some point.