Coach Gailey on 680AM

mm42

Dodd-Like
Coach Gailey was interview by Buck & Kincaid & Max Howell on 680 around 6:30 PM.

(This is very rough from memory - I was in the car and couldn't take notes.)

Congratulated him on a great class.
Gailey: We filled a lot of needs, especially on both lines and WR.

Tell us about Calvin Johnson.
Gailey: He's a big target, 6'4", good moves and hands, he has all the tools you look for in a WR. He is also a super kid and just a special person, as you know.

(Buck) What do you think was the big factor to for Calvin to choose GT?
Gailey: I don't think it was any one thing and you don't know everything that goes on in a kid's head. I think GT has a lot to offer kids, they like the academics, the facilities, the coaches, the program and tradition, I think for most of them it's the total package.

(Buck) I'm an admirer of Coach Geis and the tremendous job he has done developing so many great receivers. He's got to be happy to Calvin Johnson coming.
Gailey: He just got a lot better as a coach. (All laugh). He is very excited, we all are, about Calvin and also about a couple of other WR we signed who we think can succeed.

You have kept your Cowboys connection alive with a number of players from Texas over past 2 years.
Gailey: Yes, it's a place we want to continue to look at because there are so many good players in Texas. We concentrate mostly on the Houston and Dallas metro areas. It's also good because of academics there. We are also happy to continue our success with big-time players from Louisiana as well with the big guy we signed today.

(Max Howell) Duh, Coach how will you work with the kids from now 'til the end of the year making sure they are eligible and stick to the books?
Gailey: That's not an issue for any of our players, they are all having outstanding years in the classroom as well as the playing field. Eligibility is something we don't have to worry about at all.

(Buck) You lost 3 outstanding LB's - who will be playing LB next season?
Gailey: Gerris B-W helped us out at DE last season and he was a smallish DE. He will move back to his more natural position at LB, is a natural fit foe Sam LB. The other spots are open, KaMichael Hall and Nick Moore look promising, and Tugboat has been in the program for a number of years. A couple of our freshmen are good enough to have a chance to contribute: Travis Chambers and Gary Guyton.

Hard work recruitng this class. Are you off to Tahiti now?
Gailey: No!

Do your coaches get take time off to go home and kiss their wives tonight?
Gailey: Not tonight. We will have a recruiting wrap-up tomorrow morning, finish up mid-day and then they get to take a few days off.

That's all I can remember. As usual Coach Gailey was very personable and represented GT well.

What I love was the Three quotes he made

Yesterday: A. We brought in a class that will help us with our goal of playing for Championships..(Obviously he didnt come to GT from the NFL to be middle of the pack in the ACC).

B. I love Travis Chambers : When you look at him on paper he is not that big nor has the fast 40 time BUT: When you watch him on film he is amazing He makes Tackles sideline to sideline and he dominated at the HS level..

C. We signed some players that were highly ranked and some that were not so highly ranked by the SO-CALLED recruiting experts...

Also one other thing that he said..That the recruits we got recognized that the future for GT Football is VERY bright...

Re: What I love was the Three quotes he made

Thanks BW. To me, it is obvious that coach is building for the future (Big Uglies), while at the same time is landing the players (Calvin Johnson) he needs to win now.

I am extremely pleased with this recruiting class, and the overall recruiting strategy of CG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Back