Coach Gailey

SloMotion

Varsity Lurker
I think if we beat NCSU, FSU, or UGA along with a win over Duke we can look at this year as a much better year than last, Last year we were expected to challenge for the ACC and when we got beat in close games early O'Leary let our guys roll over and give up at the end of the season. If Gailey gets this much less talented team to a bowl with all the Injuries and bad things they have seen along with a win over an Undefeated team or FSU I think it will solidify Gaileys spot as the coach of the future at tech, anyone Agree?

I agree if this team can beat one of those three Gailey is better than I think. We could have easily been beaten yesterday if Virginia would have had a field goal kicker. Kick three field goals when inside the 30 when they came away with nothing we lose. Yesterday's win was not pretty in the second half. I firmly believe that the NC State game will bring the Gailey supporters back to earth. I love Tech and want to see us win but I think this coaching staff for whatever reason is not getting the most out of these players. Unlike O'Leary, Gailey is not accepting another job that caused the disruption last year. I think this is a talented team that should do better. Look we are using a walk on as our tailback. This team is extremely deep and should be fighting for the ACC title not a lower tier bowl game.

gtmg, I think you miss the point in several areas. Just because O'Leary left after the season doesn't mean he was distracted during the year. That's revisionist history. If you go back and look at the ND situation as it unfolded, O'Leary clearly wasn't their top choice. To say he was planning to leave during the year is ludicrous.

I also have problems with anyone who talks about "if only this had happened". If UVA had kicked field goals we would have started those next drives in better field position (after ko returns). The situation on the scoreboard would have been different and our playcalling would likely have changed. It's pointless to suppose what might have happened, the entire situation after that event changes.

I'm not saying we have turned the corner and solved all problems. We still have far too many dropped passes for example. IF Watkins catches the pass in the end zone before halftime we have 27 instead of 23 points. That changes the situation as well. IF our defense had caught any of the 3 dropped INTS it would have changed things. IF we either complete the 2 tipped passes in the second half, or made the block on the only guy with a chance to stop the screen in the 4th qtr, the situation would have been different. And finally IF Glover doesn't fumble on the VA 36 in the 3rd we likely (?) score and make it 30 or more.

My point is we played much better than we have and beat a pretty good team. We aren't a great team and still have work to do. Why not leave it at that and get ready for NCSU.

I for one do agree with you. Two more wins and Gailey would have done a good job givin the injury situation this year. I for one am glad that the team showed alot more character and heart then I did going into yesterday.

You are exactly right NCjacket,

In fact I felt that our offense was NO WAY as conservative at O'leary's was when we had a lead.

I felt that the play calling was sound even in the second half.

We had a 16 pt lead with 5 mins left and a QB that has thrown int's in the past. NO WAY you open it up. I felt it was the best game Tech has had in a VERY long time.

Originally posted by gtmg:
. I think this is a talented team that should do better. Look we are using a walk on as our tailback.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">These two sentences don't exactly make sense to me. We got lucky with a walk-on. The talent is mostly injured.

The spirit the team showed yesterday, the gritty second half against a team that fought hard and wanted to win, the cool play of Suggs, these things put the lie to complaints that these coaches can't coach. They are good coaches. We made some physical mistakes yesterday, some poor tackling and a couple dropped passes, and some mental mistakes on penalties. Well, it's college football.

It looked like a corner turnrd to me, and we might win two of the next four. Whether we do or not, if we play like we did yesterday, I'll be very proud of this team.

Another note: I got the feeling that the team might have had a players' meeting last week and some leadership emerged. They looked "in sync" vs. UVA.

Do they really NOT have a field goal kicker? I thought going for it so often on 4th and 6, etc. was just stupid coaching decisions.
confused.gif

nc wreck belly law bee. I couldn't agree more. Still not there but doing great under the cirstances. You can't expect more of coach or players.

IF,IF,IF we do win 2 of the next 4 games,CG would have done a commendable job considering no Gathers and then no Hollings.OF course this is a BIG BIG if as we will be big underdogs in 3 of the games.
This Va game is only good as a stepping-up base for improvement and a confidence-builder for the next games.If it doesn't improve results for the next 4 games, then it will be a forgetable win that realistically we ALL expected anyway at the beginning of the season. imho
Let the fun begin.

Back