Coach Gailey

romegajacket

Helluva Engineer
I've been a GT fan for 50+ years, and a season ticket holder, but for much less time than that. We've all seen coaches come and go since Bobby Dodd, and there of course will never be another Boddy Dodd. At present, I think we have an excellent FB coach and I think he will lead GT to football prominence once again, but it will be with the basic football for a while, at least until he can get the material to do the razzle dazzle that we have come to know. That is if we don't cut out the whinning and crying and placing all of the blame for everyone's shortcomings and trouble on him. At present, if Chan Gailey stays on at GT, it will be a miracle. We have to let him get his system in place with the personnel that he has to work with before we hang him. If we stop and look at the situation for a moment, we will see that he has been plagued with a less than perfect situation since he's been here. We've had some players who have not been "up to snuff" in my opinion and injuries that would have put better football teams than GT's out of business.
Somewhere along the way, a person has to take responsibility for his actions if he is to ever grow up. Academically, GT is tough and that's a given. I dare say no student athlete coming into this program has been told or has read anything any differently. I certainly do not know all of the reasons for a problem like this to occur, but I surely can't see blaming the coach for it all. YES, if he had been here for say 5 years, and we had a season like the last, with the recruits that he had gone after, then I would say it's time to look at the situation. But for now the best and only thing for the good of GT, the players, and the coaching staff as well as any recruiting that we may ever hope to do in the future, we need to quit crying and start supporting what we presently have in place. I will be and I dare everyone else to do so with me. I say, come on and give the man a fair chance to show what he can do without hanging an anvil around his neck.
In all honesty I do not see how we can have a winning football season this coming fall and I did not expect to see one before all the academical problems arose. But I do expect to see him build back a program that we will be happy with in two or three years. Tech has never been an easy school, is not now, and hopefully will never be, and that is one of the features of GT that make it so wonderful. It doesn't have to fit in the mold of other schools.
Lastly, look at what we have now. What if we were to suddenly make another coaching change. Do we know that we would improve the situation? Would we have to go through 3 or 4 more years of system changing to suit a new coach? Can you say that we would be better off 5 years down the road than we are now? And if we did make a change, how much time would we allow the new coach to get his thing going here?
I say, let's give the man a break and start supporting him.

Respectfully, I disagree. Yes, we will be better off. Again, this is not strictly about judging wins and losses, it is about whether or not we are progressing and getting better. When Amato and Friedgen and Groh and Grobe took over their teams anyone could see the improvement in play on the field. I simply want progress.

Tech, when O'leary departed, was not broken down in the ditch. Gailey was hired to maintain, not to resurrect.

Our next coach needs to be someone with some balls can bring some intensity - discipline to the troops, enthusiasm to the public and some fear to our opponents - most notably Georgia, that we intend to play for keeps.

Romejacket, using your logic, Bill Lewis should have gotten more time. I do not want to fire Gailey. I do believe he is in way over his head right now, but that is not to say he can't rise above this.

The problem in the AA is at the top and until Dave Braine holds himself accoutable and resigns for the years of poor decisions he has made, none of this will change. Dave Braine needs to go.

Great Post. I disagree with one sentence. I think we will have a winning season.

Back