Coach K to retire after this season

swampsting

Dodd-Like
So who will Mrs Coach K berate with f bombs now? The Dominos driver?

OptionJacket

Varsity Lurker
Now we have to suffer through all the feel good garbage about a cheating coach. A farewell tour and the press won’t say a word about payments. When I was young and naive I actually like this clown. But as I learned of the real world it became obvious a huge car salesman dressed up is still a used car salesman. Duke will become Georgetown now.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Funny to me that UNC and Duke both opted for in-house replacements rather than doing a real coaching search. I think UNC recruits itself to a certain degree, but I'm interested to see how things work out for Duke. Have to figure Coach K has been a huge part of the allure for blue chip recruits.

The Jacket

The Coat
öööö that ratface piece of ööööing öööö I hope he dies screaming.

edit: That sounded mean, in retrospect, which is why I am not changing it.

edit2: not really an edit.

Last edited:

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I hate to think of all the officiating bias, talking heads gushing, and NCAA favoritism for this last run by Coach K. I liked the young Coach K - a funny, competitive guy, good friend with Bobby Cremins and Jim Valvano, and thorn in Dean Smith’s side - “It’s not like we go out for smokes together.”

But, after winning a first natty and reaching the pinnacle of the college basketball world, he suddenly began to revere himself. He put down all critics as people who were ignorant, unbalanced, who needed to “get a life”. His sanctimony regarding his Duke way was insufferable.

Zion gets paid. Duke players’ parents get great jobs and relocate to the Triangle. He recruits one and dones with Nike ties yet still wants to exalt Duke’s academic integrity. He names his replacement with no national search or interviewing minority candidates - hiring a thirty-something White guy with no head coaching experience. Why? Because he truly believes sitting next to him on the bench is much more valuable than anyone else’s experiences of success at the highest level.

He has been a great Coach. He is on a short list with Wooden, Rupp, Smith, and Knight (and perhaps Ol’ Roy belongs, too) at the top of his profession. He has done some great charitable work. But, he is not approaching deity or even sainthood. He should have kept hanging out with Bobby Cremins. I would take Cremins’ humility and appreciation for and loyalty to the places he has coached with no evidence of self-importance or sense of entitlement to being revered any day.