Coach K to retire after this season

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I hate to think of all the officiating bias, talking heads gushing, and NCAA favoritism for this last run by Coach K. I liked the young Coach K - a funny, competitive guy, good friend with Bobby Cremins and Jim Valvano, and thorn in Dean Smith’s side - “It’s not like we go out for smokes together.”

But, after winning a first natty and reaching the pinnacle of the college basketball world, he suddenly began to revere himself. He put down all critics as people who were ignorant, unbalanced, who needed to “get a life”. His sanctimony regarding his Duke way was insufferable.

Zion gets paid. Duke players’ parents get great jobs and relocate to the Triangle. He recruits one and dones with Nike ties yet still wants to exalt Duke’s academic integrity. He names his replacement with no national search or interviewing minority candidates - hiring a thirty-something White guy with no head coaching experience. Why? Because he truly believes sitting next to him on the bench is much more valuable than anyone else’s experiences of success at the highest level.

He has been a great Coach. He is on a short list with Wooden, Rupp, Smith, and Knight (and perhaps Ol’ Roy belongs, too) at the top of his profession. He has done some great charitable work. But, he is not approaching deity or even sainthood. He should have kept hanging out with Bobby Cremins. I would take Cremins’ humility and appreciation for and loyalty to the places he has coached with no evidence of self-importance or sense of entitlement to being revered any day.
It is amazing that they ignored a number of Duke alums of all races with head coaching experience. I hope this leads to a collapse of their program in the near future,

The Jacket

The Coat
You never want to be the guy that succeeds the legend. You want to be the guy after that.
So you prefer being third in line? Turn it into a mom joke if you want, but that's ööööing gross.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
It has begun.

ACC Network. Scheduled to be replay of 1990 GT vs NC State basketball right now.

It’s now a Duke/Cameron Indoor Stadium documentary.

:eekfacepalm:

rain

Helluva Engineer
I hate to think of all the officiating bias, talking heads gushing, and NCAA favoritism for this last run by Coach K. I liked the young Coach K - a funny, competitive guy, good friend with Bobby Cremins and Jim Valvano, and thorn in Dean Smith’s side - “It’s not like we go out for smokes together.”

But, after winning a first natty and reaching the pinnacle of the college basketball world, he suddenly began to revere himself. He put down all critics as people who were ignorant, unbalanced, who needed to “get a life”. His sanctimony regarding his Duke way was insufferable.

Zion gets paid. Duke players’ parents get great jobs and relocate to the Triangle. He recruits one and dones with Nike ties yet still wants to exalt Duke’s academic integrity. He names his replacement with no national search or interviewing minority candidates - hiring a thirty-something White guy with no head coaching experience. Why? Because he truly believes sitting next to him on the bench is much more valuable than anyone else’s experiences of success at the highest level.

He has been a great Coach. He is on a short list with Wooden, Rupp, Smith, and Knight (and perhaps Ol’ Roy belongs, too) at the top of his profession. He has done some great charitable work. But, he is not approaching deity or even sainthood. He should have kept hanging out with Bobby Cremins. I would take Cremins’ humility and appreciation for and loyalty to the places he has coached with no evidence of self-importance or sense of entitlement to being revered any day.
I agree about coach Cremins. I’d take him over just about any coach. The one and dones did in his system to a certain extent, but he was good for GT for many years.