Coach Nell thanks the NCAA

The Jacket

The Coat
I mean I get it and all but isn't that TStan's axe to grind?
If it was, it seems to have now fallen to the coaches and players because it doesn't appear anything is being achieved by whoever has been at the grindstone.

The Jacket

The Coat
To Coach Nell,

Thank you for using the biggest bigcry to give the NCAA a reason to hammer us over the next pebble we stumble upon.

Thank you for the exposure,
Tech Fans
The NCAA is never going to stop treating us the way they have been. She could have made this post defending the NCAA and condemning the player who posted the weight room video, and it wouldn't change the treatment we get from the NCAA. She's right, and she's doing the right thing at the right time, when she has the biggest platform and audience she's going to get all year.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I guess I get it in principle, but it’s really hard to avoid thinking about the level of interest and revenue when considering women’s sports and the amount of investment that they warrant. The level of play is lower in women’s basketball, and therefore so is the level of interest and revenue. It’s disingenuous to expect the same level of care and attention for a sport that very few people care about.

I support the team because the represent Tech, and I love the energy and passion that the coach brings, but realistically, I’m not gonna watch women’s basketball.

JRjr

The Jacket

The Coat
I guess I get it in principle, but it’s really hard to avoid thinking about the level of interest and revenue when considering women’s sports and the amount of investment that they warrant. The level of play is lower in women’s basketball, and therefore so is the level of interest and revenue. It’s disingenuous to expect the same level of care and attention for a sport that very few people care about.

I support the team because the represent Tech, and I love the energy and passion that the coach brings, but realistically, I’m not gonna watch women’s basketball.

JRjr
This is not the NBA/WNBA. The NCAA's responsibility is ostensibly to the student athletes, not to profit. They're not supposed to support and provision individual sports based on the amount of cash they currently bring in. Your argument about the difference in talent level is lazy. They don't have the same athletic abilities as the men, that does not mean they deserve to be relegated to a corner in a massive and spacious facility, provided a single small rack of dumbbells while the men have every piece of equipment they need. Your personal preference in which sport you watch is completely irrelevant to this matter.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

JRjr
She kinda addresses that when she mentions the TV contracts. I dunno that she is asking for the exact same stuff, but I think the NCAA failed to even give the women the minimum standard this year, probably because of all the added expenses (covid tests, etc) and loss of revenue on the men's side.

Ultimately, I am okay with her speaking out on it. Better to have a coach that supports the players rather than the previous coach who berated them all the time.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
This is not the NBA/WNBA. The NCAA's responsibility is ostensibly to the student athletes, not to profit. They're not supposed to support and provision individual sports based on the amount of cash they currently bring in. Your argument about the difference in talent level is lazy. They don't have the same athletic abilities as the men, that does not mean they deserve to be relegated to a corner in a massive and spacious facility, provided a single small rack of dumbbells while the men have every piece of equipment they need. Your personal preference in which sport you watch is completely irrelevant to this matter.
It’s completely relevant when it funds the entire operation and men’s swimming teams, track teams, rowing teams, wrestling teams, etc. are being canceled. They are presumably student athletes as well. Meanwhile we have Big Ten women’s bowling teams.

The Jacket

The Coat
What, exactly, in my post are you saying is "relevant" here? His personal preference in sports?

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I’m glad you like layups, I guess. :-)

The truth is that women’s sports (and probably most of the men’s sports outside of football and basketball) are basically charities funded by the two big men’s sports, and expectations should be commensurate with that fact. They deserve a quality experience, but using one of the biggest sporting events of the year as the point of comparison is laughably unrealistic.

JRjr

The Jacket

The Coat
I’m glad you like layups, I guess. :-)

The truth is that women’s sports (and probably most of the men’s sports outside of football and basketball) are basically charities funded by the two big men’s sports, and expectations should be commensurate with that fact. They deserve a quality experience, but using one of the biggest sporting events of the year as the point of comparison is laughably unrealistic.

JRjr
You're not actually making a point and I'm not interested in trading snide remarks. The NCAA has the means to provide for the sports in accordance to their needs, which is their purpose, not pumping it into whichever one is fattening their pockets while leaving the others to rot.