Coach Nell thanks the NCAA

The Jacket

The Coat
Are you doing any different claiming the differences are due explicitly to gender?
I'm not going to argue with you about every way you can twist it so that their expectations are somehow unreasonable. The bottom line is that the NCAA should be doing better for women's basketball, the men's division is the proof that they can. I look forward to your next change of subject.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Well then be amateurs. Don’t let players who can’t read join your college. Actually make them earn a degree. Make punishments for receiving money so harsh that the school and the players never do it.
Yes – we actually do all this already... [evidence-free cynicism incoming]

I think we’re going in circles. I understand your points. I think you understand mine. No sense repeating them in different order.
Sounds good! Peace –

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
I think you're right that the P5 football programs (specifically) are all in the black. I was referring to all the other colleges that play football besides those 60+ teams.
I doubt there is really a way to know since funds flow at a university can get very complicated and how costs/revenues are booked can be pretty interesting. Look at it this way though. Most (?) of the money comes from TV contracts. But to get a piece of that you have to be in a P5 conference and to be in a conference you have to compete in the specified number of sports -both for men and women. So can you really even look at football on it’s own? There are also shared facilities, administrative staff, overhead, etc. that complicated things further. I don’t know if it makes sense to look at it like that.

Last edited:

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Some numbers on everyone's favorite topic:

Although the NCAA Division I men's basketball championship budget for the 2018-19 season was $28 million -- almost twice as much as the women's budget -- information provided by the NCAA on Friday also shows the men's tournament brought in a total net income of $864.6 million that season. The women's event lost $2.8 million -- the largest loss of any NCAA championship.

In light of the recent disparities between the men's and women's tournaments that have been made public this month, ESPN and The New York Times requested NCAA tournament budgets for this season, but NCAA officials said the most recent and available data is from the last fully completed set of championships, which is 2018-19 because of the pandemic. The 2020-21 budgets are expected to be similar to the data provided Friday.
Per the article, most of the difference in budget was due to logistical differences in the way the tournaments are run.

For example, the women play the first two rounds on-campus, a decision made several years ago to help generate fan attendance in the early rounds. Similarly, the men play in a football stadium for the Final Four whereas the women play in a normal basketball arena, again to try to help with fan attendance (more likely to achieve a sellout crowd in a smaller arena.)

Last edited:

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face

Per the article, most of the difference in budget was due to logistical differences in the way the tournaments are run.

For example, the women play the first two rounds on-campus, a decision made several years ago to help generate fan attendance in the early rounds. Similarly, the men play in a football stadium for the Final Four whereas the women play in a normal basketball arena, again to try to help with fan attendance (more likely to achieve a sellout crowd in a smaller arena.)

but the viral tweets...

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
but the viral tweets...
I don’t think anyone is worrying about the budget. But if you are going to have 2 tournaments they should be a equal as you can make them. Sure venues may be different and smaller, but food, housing, travel, swag, etc should be equivalent. I honestly don’t get what some people are arguing about. It’s simple and the right thing to do.

GTCrew4b

I don’t think anyone is worrying about the budget. But if you are going to have 2 tournaments they should be a equal as you can make them. Sure venues may be different and smaller, but food, housing, travel, swag, etc should be equivalent. I honestly don’t get what some people are arguing about. It’s simple and the right thing to do.
Sure just make sure it’s the same across all divisions and all sports even if no one asks for it.

18in32

Petard Hoister
“The right thing to do”
Yeah why are we arguing?
Doesn’t everyone share my moral intuitions?

18in32

Petard Hoister

Great link. Wow.

The Jacket

The Coat
Sure just make sure it’s the same across all divisions and all sports even if no one asks for it.
You really are pathetic. It's not that difficult to understand that the divisions within men's and women's basketball are tiered. In the system as-is, the higher your skill level, the greater the rewards. Women can't play their way into men's Division I basketball.

The lower divisions and other sports aren't in question here, and if there are people out there who speak for those divisions and sports and say that the NCAA is not adequately providing for their student athletes, then those people need to be heard, and their grievances addressed as well. There, I indulged your dumbass obsession with talking about anything and everything but the topic at hand, which I'll now refresh your memory on and see if it takes this time so I can stop ööööing repeating myself:

People who represent Women's Division I basketball are speaking out about the NCAA's inadequate provisions for their championship. The NCAA has the means to correct this, and they should correct it. It really is that ööööing simple.

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
You really are pathetic. It's not that difficult to understand that the divisions within men's and women's basketball are tiered. In the system as-is, the higher your skill level, the greater the rewards. Women can't play their way into men's Division I basketball.

The lower divisions and other sports aren't in question here, and if there are people out there who speak for those divisions and sports and say that the NCAA is not adequately providing for their student athletes, then those people need to be heard, and their grievances addressed as well. There, I indulged your dumbass obsession with talking about anything and everything but the topic at hand, which I'll now refresh your memory on and see if it takes this time so I can stop ööööing repeating myself:

People who represent Women's Division I basketball are speaking out about the NCAA's inadequate provisions for their championship. The NCAA has the means to correct this, and they should correct it. It really is that ööööing simple.
Has this been linked? It looks like it's been corrected...

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...ght-room-women-basketball-tournament-fixed-it

GTCrew4b

The tiered system isn’t divided by skill level. Maybe that’s how it becomes due to the amount of $$$ respective schools have but there are several D2 colleges that have better sports than D1 colleges.

point being NCAA athletes are NCAA athletes right? So they should have the same treatment according to you. If it is based on skill level that their prizes or tournaments are different maybe the D3 men should face the D1 women to determine relative skill level.

The Jacket

The Coat
The tiered system isn’t divided by skill level. Maybe that’s how it becomes due to the amount of $$$ respective schools have but there are several D2 colleges that have better sports than D1 colleges.

point being NCAA athletes are NCAA athletes right? So they should have the same treatment according to you. If it is based on skill level that their prizes or tournaments are different maybe the D3 men should face the D1 women to determine relative skill level.
You just skip right over it and don't miss a beat, huh? I give up. I've sunk about as derp as I can stomach trying to explain this to you when I should have just recognized immediately that you're incapable of even discussing the matter at hand because you refuse to acknowledge that there's a problem. Whatever the psychological and ideological reasons for that are, I hope that if you ever manage to overcome them you can find it within yourself to feel shame. No doubt that's funny to you, but this is disgusting, so I'm all set.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Glad I could get you guys arguing about the same thing again.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Glad I could get you guys arguing about the same thing again.
It’s bizarre that in the face of numbers that show the women’s tourney loses a bunch of money, one guy’s position is still “spend more money on it, it’s the right thing to do” and he’s flipping out about the fact that other people are familiar with the phrase “throwing good money after bad.”

JRjr

The Jacket

The Coat
It’s bizarre that in the face of numbers that show the women’s tourney loses a bunch of money, one guy’s position is still “spend more money on it, it’s the right thing to do” and he’s flipping out about the fact that other people are familiar with the phrase “throwing good money after bad.”

JRjr
Sorry my guy, I'm all done entertaining bullöööö from people who can't grasp, or simply don't care, that we're discussing a non-profit organization and not a professional sports league. You're in luck though, if you go back a few pages, the conversation that would follow in response to your post has already been held. Even trying to talk to you guys through your deflection and projection makes me feel dirty.

@GTCrew4b I apologize for calling you pathetic. I should have known this conversation was hopeless, it's my fault I kept trying past the point of frustration and exhaustion.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Sorry my guy, I'm all done entertaining bullöööö from people who can't grasp, or simply don't care, that we're discussing a non-profit organization and not a professional sports league. You're in luck though, if you go back a few pages, the conversation that would follow in response to your post has already been held. Even trying to talk to you guys through your deflection and projection makes me feel dirty.
Have you considered that perhaps we understand your point and disagree with it? I’m not so sure you could say the same thing about the points everybody else is making, since you seem to be so bizarrely emotionally invested in the execution standards of the women’s basketball tournament.

Does being a non-profit exempt the NCAA from spending money wisely? Should they spend $28M on the women’s tournament just like the men’s tournament (even though the actual cost to put it on is lower because ultimately not that many people want to watch women’s basketball) so it can lose $15M instead of $2M? Maybe they should spend $14M on the women’s tournament and donate $14M to charity because it’s The Right Thing To Do.

JRjr

GTCrew4b

@GTCrew4b I apologize for calling you pathetic. I should have known this conversation was hopeless, it's my fault I kept trying past the point of frustration and exhaustion.
It’s all good, brother. You are passionate and your expectations of rich organizations/businesses are high. I also wish folks did more for those who are oppressed, treated unjustly, or undercompensated. I just don’t see female collegiate athletes in that category. I love you.