Coach Nell thanks the NCAA

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
This is not the NBA/WNBA. The NCAA's responsibility is ostensibly to the student athletes, not to profit. They're not supposed to support and provision individual sports based on the amount of cash they currently bring in. Your argument about the difference in talent level is lazy. They don't have the same athletic abilities as the men, that does not mean they deserve to be relegated to a corner in a massive and spacious facility, provided a single small rack of dumbbells while the men have every piece of equipment they need. Your personal preference in which sport you watch is completely irrelevant to this matter.
This is what bugs me about the whole situation. I can't reconcile "No, players shouldn't share in revenues or even be allowed to profit from their names and likenesses, because the primary mission of college sports is to mold student athletes into adults" with a huge disparity in facilities in the same sport between the two genders.

Either admit that the primary mission of NCAA football and men's basketball is to make money, in which case the athletes need to have a stake in the revenue like in every other professional sport, or provide comparable facilities to women's basketball players. Either way is fine. I'd go with the first since it's reality, but whatever floats the NCAA's boat.

RussianOffense

ROLL TIDE
I'm on Nell's side with this. The NCAA should put in the effort and the money to give the women student-athletes a more equal experience to the men. These aren't extraordinary asks and we don't have to ignore the reality that there's less interest in the women's game to do that. Imagine how you'd feel if you were a woman and the men were being treated like kings and you were slumming it.

GTCrew4b

All moratoria must be earned
What, exactly, in my post are you saying is "relevant" here? His personal preference in sports?
Peoples preference in sports drives the revenue that would be used to pay for the equity you are demanding.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
While I’m all for women’s sports being treated well, this seems a lot to do about nothing. Who gives a rats ass about the logos on the court? It’s pandemic basketball and I’m frankly surprised that they did it for the men’s games since they are mostly being played in college arenas around Indianapolis. And the weight room - I thought players were confined to their rooms anyways. How many players at either are actually down there using shared equipment?

The real truth of the matter is that there is an arms race in men’s college sports for facilities because that is what is required to recruit top talent to your school to play for your #1 or 2 generator of money that subsidizes the rest of your athletic programs. Women’s basketball is probably a net negative at most schools, does not generate ticket or tv revenue to any substantial degree, and the schools therefore aren’t interested in the arms race for facilities that recruit. IIWII. Women should support their sports better by going to games and watching them on tv if they want women athletes to get a better deal. It’s all driven by revenue which is a product of how many eyeballs are watching.

GTCrew4b

This is what bugs me about the whole situation. I can't reconcile "No, players shouldn't share in revenues or even be allowed to profit from their names and likenesses, because the primary mission of college sports is to mold student athletes into adults" with a huge disparity in facilities in the same sport between the two genders.

Either admit that the primary mission of NCAA football and men's basketball is to make money, in which case the athletes need to have a stake in the revenue like in every other professional sport, or provide comparable facilities to women's basketball players. Either way is fine. I'd go with the first since it's reality, but whatever floats the NCAA's boat.
Let’s let the women’s championship team play the men’s D3 NCAA champion. Winner gets the facilities, revenue, TV time, etc. that the women’s team gets.

andrew

Let’s let the women’s championship team play the men’s D3 NCAA champion. Winner gets the facilities, revenue, TV time, etc. that the women’s team gets.
I'm not really sure how that addresses any part of my post.

GTCrew4b

I'm not really sure how that addresses any part of my post.
Because the disparities aren’t solely across gender lines. Not all men’s basketball players (who are student athletes) get the treatment of the Division I Men’s Basketball championships.

RussianOffense

ROLL TIDE
While I’m all for women’s sports being treated well, this seems a lot to do about nothing. Who gives a rats ass about the logos on the court? It’s pandemic basketball and I’m frankly surprised that they did it for the men’s games since they are mostly being played in college arenas around Indianapolis. And the weight room - I thought players were confined to their rooms anyways. How many players at either are actually down there using shared equipment?
Logos and symbols confer legitimacy. It's like giving the women Nikes without swooshes.

The real truth of the matter is that there is an arms race in men’s college sports for facilities because that is what is required to recruit top talent to your school to play for your #1 or 2 generator of money that subsidizes the rest of your athletic programs. Women’s basketball is probably a net negative at most schools, does not generate ticket or tv revenue to any substantial degree, and the schools therefore aren’t interested in the arms race for facilities that recruit. IIWII. Women should support their sports better by going to games and watching them on tv if they want women athletes to get a better deal. It’s all driven by revenue which is a product of how many eyeballs are watching.
Re facilities, just build facilities that both the men and women use. It's not that hard. The only thing that they don't share is like the locker rooms. In that case just give them separate but equal locker rooms. The men's game can subsidize the women's some.

andrew

And I'm saying that those sports deserve that equity regardless of which sports are generating that revenue.
To phrase my previous post a different way, I don't think you can say, "Men's basketball players deserve significantly better facilities than women because they generate significantly more revenue" and at the same time say, "Men's basketball players shouldn't be allowed to profit off of their own likenesses or get paid in cash because college sports isn't about money."

The Jacket

The Coat
To phrase my previous post a different way, I don't think you can say, "Men's basketball players deserve significantly better facilities than women because they generate significantly more revenue" and at the same time say, "Men's basketball players shouldn't be allowed to profit off of their own likenesses or get paid in cash because college sports isn't about money."
I understood your post, this is part of my point as well. It's amazing how people will cry foul about our football and MBB programs getting treated unfairly by the NCAA, but as soon as the women's basketball team is demonstrated to be treated unfairly by that same organization, they rush to make excuses for it.

GTCrew4b

You want to change the subject, and I appreciate that, but I'm not going to waste my breath trying to explain to you why a non-profit should treat its member organizations fairly.
I’m not changing the subject. There are thiusands of basketball playing NCAA athletes that are treated differently than the men’s division one athletes, and they are not only women. There are also many more NCAA sanctioned sports for women that receive money than men. I’m asking you how you determine what an equitable distribution of the funds is if it can’t be how much money the organizations bring in.

The Jacket

The Coat
I’m not changing the subject. There are thiusands of basketball playing NCAA athletes that are treated differently than the men’s division one athletes, and they are not only women. There are also many more NCAA sanctioned sports for women that receive money than men. I’m asking you how you determine what an equitable distribution of the funds is if it can’t be how much money the organizations bring in.
I've already answered this question. In accordance with their needs. Are you taking the position that the NCAA does not have the funds to achieve this?

Dhatura

Dodd-Like
Has this occurred before or was this a one-time thing? Stanford makes it to the tournament a lot, but there has never been a picture before? Or, did I miss it, or did no one care before? I generally wouldn't care, but since the NCAA is involved - screw them.

I would also like to state that I used to think that since the Men pull in all the money, the women get what they can - but y'all have reminded me that since they aren't paid, and the NCAA is involved, that there shouldn't be a difference. Thanks.

GTCrew4b

I've already answered this question. In accordance with their needs. Are you taking the position that the NCAA does not have the funds to achieve this?
I am taking the position that needs is very subjective and if the women need it then the division II men need it, and the division III men, and the division II/III women and then yes I am saying the NCAA does not have the funds to do it.

The Jacket

The Coat
I am taking the position that needs is very subjective and if the women need it then the division II men need it, and the division III men, and the division II/III women and then yes I am saying the NCAA does not have the funds to do it.
If you want to explain to me how the NCAA was simply operating to the best of its ability within its financial constraints in that weight room video, I'm all ears.

GTCrew4b

I don’t know. I do know that women in America get many many more times the athletic opportunity as women in other countries and in some ways more than men in this country.