Coaching Search Update

I was more interested in Houston in 2018 than I am now. He is doing just okay at East Carolina. Really not much to this update.

I was more interested in Houston in 2018 than I am now. He is doing just okay at East Carolina. Really not much to this update.

That's pretty much why he fell off my radar. Going to ECU from James Madison is a puzzling leap. Was it purely financial, or...? Is ECU a dump? Is it hard to win there? Serious question, I have zero knowledge of ECU as a football program. By comparison, Willie Fritz's record at Tulane to me qualifies as impressive for what Tulane is. Not sure if ECU is a similar situation...

As an ECU season ticket holder I can tell you that if you hire Mike Houston you will get a great guy, old school football coach, who will be passionate about winning. He is a good coach. If hired I would love for him to bring his defensive coordinator but not the offensive staff.

Yes, he is 20-22 at ECU, but the program went 9-27 under his predecessor and he started off in ‘19 and ‘20 going 7-14 but is 13-8 since. I would be happy for him to stay at ECU, but I think we can do better at Tech. (I also think we could do a whole lot worse.)

Bottom line, what could go wrong if we get a head coach from ECU?

As an ECU season ticket holder I can tell you that if you hire Mike Houston you will get a great guy, old school football coach, who will be passionate about winning. He is a good coach. If hired I would love for him to bring his defensive coordinator but not the offensive staff.

Yes, he is 20-22 at ECU, but the program went 9-27 under his predecessor and he started off in ‘19 and ‘20 going 7-14 but is 13-8 since. I would be happy for him to stay at ECU, but I think we can do better at Tech. (I also think we could do a whole lot worse.)

Bottom line, what could go wrong if we get a head coach from ECU?

For some reason I thought he was an offensive minded coach. I thought he ran the TO at Lenoir-Rhyne and Citadel, but not at JMU or ECU. I figured he had his own offense..

For some reason I thought he was an offensive minded coach. I thought he ran the TO at Lenoir-Rhyne and Citadel, but not at JMU or ECU. I figured he had his own offense..

That has been his forte, but he lets his coordinators coach. Donnie Kirkpatrick has opened up a little more this year. But, he has been frustrating with limiting Ahlers running the ball, stubbornly running the ball whe the O-line is struggling to block on the line of scrimmage, and avoiding throwing the ball downfield. I will say that when they open up the offense they are pretty good.

They are two missed kicks away from beating NC State and Navy and being 8-1 this season.

ECU beat UCF, something we couldn’t figure out how to do. But agree with others, no to anything related to ecu.

I will need to know how much money he’s shopping with before saying if his job is to be envied or not.
The bigger the budget, the easier it is to make a mistake. Look at the "big name" coaches who have face-planted lately - Frost, drawing blanks but a lot of the "can't miss" hires have missed badly. I stated elsewhere that I don't think we can afford another mistake. We aren't Auburn with a blank checkbook each time we screw up. Whoever we hire has to work out or we are dead (financially).

There are a lot of good coaches out there who deserve a shot at running a P5 school that we can get for a modest (starting) salary and a modest buyout. We just need to find the right one.

So, in short, I don't think a blank check is the answer - that just allows the AD to make a popular, defensible hire without doing any due diligence.

Back