Coaching staff for the ages

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I was watching the USC v Iowa Holiday Bowl and they did a thing where they showed Iowa's coaching staff back in 1983.

Hayden Fry (Head Coach)
Assistants included:
Barry Alvarez
Bill Snyder
Bob Stoops
Dan McCarney
Kirk Firentz

Holy Crap. All 5 of these assistants went on to set all-time win records at the five different schools when they went on to HC positions. Wow.

Southern Cal should be ashamed to be so mediocre. They should be able to get any player in the country. That roster should never dip below 4* recruits.
kiffinhoodie.jpg

One of my favorite parts of the CFB HOF are the coaching trees.

I was watching the USC v Iowa Holiday Bowl and they did a thing where they showed Iowa's coaching staff back in 1983.

Hayden Fry (Head Coach)
Assistants included:
Barry Alvarez
Bill Snyder
Bob Stoops
Dan McCarney
Kirk Firentz

Holy Crap. All 5 of these assistants went on to set all-time win records at the five different schools when they went on to HC positions. Wow.
That’s a great piece of trivia.

My father in law was coached by Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Dan Henning, all assistants on the same college staff. The coaching fraternity is a small one.

Not nearly as good. But here we had a pretty solid staff at one point with a bunch of future head coaches in late 90s.

oleary
Fridge
Marrone
Bill obrien
Edsall
Roof (cough) but he did get hc job

Not nearly as good. But here we had a pretty solid staff at one point with a bunch of future head coaches in late 90s.

oleary
Fridge
Marrone
Bill obrien
Edsall
Roof (cough) but he did get hc job
Vandy is counting on a Roof defense. His tenure may be short if Mason doesn't start winning since the AD protecting Mason just left.

Vandy is counting on a Roof defense.

Well there are quite a few things to count on in a Roof defense. Such as the # of yards over and above the # of yards needed for a third down that the secondary is playing off the line; the number of consecutive bubble screens you can run before Roof has time to Google "What is this ööööing play these ööööers keep running that I;ve never seen before?"; The number of third down conversions of over 15 yards that you can give up in a single game; the minimum number of seconds left on the clock before halftime before your opponent can't score a TD; etc. So yes, Vandy should expect to do a lot of counting.

Back