Congrats on the 2 new Commitments !!

Buzz4Him

Flats Noob
Randall Cox and ANthony Barnes.

Cox is an OL. 6-3, 280# already. We needed some big bodies here.

Barnes is a 4 star recruit. Here's a short blurb:
"Played a little bit of everything for the Purple Hurricanes last season including quarterback, wide receiver, and safety. Accounted for 600 yards of receiving in a rush oriented offense. A huge target that has the size of a linebacker."

He sounds a lot like another Tony Hargrove. WOuldn't that be sweet?

4 Star Prospect

That's funny because a few hours ago he was a 3 star prospect on the insiders. Now he is suddenly a 4 star prospect. There goes the theory that Tech recruits are downgraded and everyone else gets upgraded upon commitment. I took an interest specifically in this kid because I have a coworker that knows his HS coach. He was a UGA lean for a long time but was never offered. He's a great athlete but not super fast. Could be a great LB or decent DB or WR. I'm guessing Tech doesn't need WR's.

For the record, anthony barnes goes by A.T. The only reason I know this isbecause we played him this year in the playoffs. He was faaaaaaaaaaast and biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig.

Barnes will also come in well coached from Cartersville. Great pickup on both kids. If we are going to make some headway in NW Ga., Cartersville would be the place to start.

His star ratings didn\'t change Dawgly

He is a 4 star according to Scout.com and a 3 star according to Insiders. Neither rating changed after he chose GT.

I said 4-star because I found out about his commit from Scout first.

Why the different stars for different services is beyond me, but regardless, 4 or 3 stars, I think he's a keeper. Botom line is our staff is beginning to prove that they are good evaluators of talent.

Maybe we are looking at different sources.

Here is what I am talking about. Check out the link at the end of this post. This is the INSIDERS of Jamie Newburg. They've changed to Scout for whatever reason. According to this very same source, he was a 3 star prospect earlier yesterday and for months. The reason I took an interest in this kid is because one of my coworkers is a friend of one of the coaches at Cartersville. He had been told the AB was probably going to be a Dawg. As I checked into it through Insiders (scout) and Rivals along with other unofficial websites that deal more with UGA recruiting, I saw no evidence that he had been offered by UGA. That doesn't neccesarily mean anything but it kept me from putting much stock in the rumor. Lord knows these kids change their minds about every 15 minutes. My point is that I have been watching for updates on this kid and saw with my own very eyes that Insiders (scout) had him as a 3 star prospect as early as yesterday morning. After seeing what happened with this kid and others, I am beginning to believe that the rankings are manipulated based on to whom they commit. I'll even throw you a UGA bone as an example. Kade Weston was ranked by Scout (insiders) as a 4 star prospect and a top 10 d-tackle. I'm not sure of the timing but after he commited to UGA, he is suddenly a 5 star prospect and the number 2 dt in the nation. What changed? Although it's possible Insiders (scout) recieved more info, the timing makes it suspect. All I'm saying is that I saw with my own eyes the same thing happen with AB. Recruiting rankings and the quality of prospects is a frequent subject on this board and I am simply attempting to point out that this stuff happens with probably all better known D1-A schools. You may or may not chose to believe me. I don't expect most of you to believe it but I know what I saw and I'm sticking with it. I will agree with your bottom line. Tech is a QB away from being a very good team. You may surprise some people next year. Believe me I'm no Tech fan but it is fun watching FSU and Miami fall on there faces. When do you play FSU again? We go head to head with them in recruiting all the time and usually lose once Bobby Bowden works his vodoo. The more they lose, the better for UGA. Link to AB

I think these stars are complete BS....

If the star system was correct, you guys would have beat us by 40 and not 6 points....Fsu would have beaten us by 50 every year instead of the 3 to 10 point wins, We would have lost to NC State...And Auburn would have killed us last year instead of us killing them.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Guy ,who coached against Barnes,on the Hive thinks ultimately he will be a LB.Aggressive,strong but not extra fast with fair hands.Good pick-up.

Re: 4 Star Prospect

[ QUOTE ]
He was a UGA lean for a long time but was never offered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. I believe they call it "rationalization".

Back