Corn Elder

It would have been nice to have gotten him IF he had concentrated on football. Otherwise, it's too hard to have a 2 sport athlete really excel in both. Good luck to the guy anyway. Typical end of recruiting year result for us.

Anyone think basketball had more to do with this decision that football?

Yeah, if we hadn't landed Jorgenson we'd have Elder IMHO.

Also, on a related/unrelated note, I think it should be a bannable offense to link or refer to Carvell anymore. :furious: After this post of course.

Meh, who cares. He would have been nice to have but we didn't need him. I don't blame Gregory or Johnson one bit. He will sit behind Duke Johnson for two more years, and then we will see what happens.

Sent from my DeLorean using the Flux Capacitor

One thing that I've learned from watching recruiting is that a lot of kids live in the moment. For example, they'll look at GT's basketball program right now and won't look at the trajectory of the program and where it will probably be in 2 years. Similarly, they look at the state of a football program like UM right now, and ignore things like the potential state of their football team after a 5 years post-season ban + 10 scholarship / year reduction.

And you can't really blame them. When you have two groups of people telling you different things about the state of the world in 4 years, the only thing you can really anchor onto as correct is the past.

TOS is reporting he was only offered by Miami this morning....sounds like a rash decision was made. I wonder if he's even visited there?

You are obviously wrong. Tech is the only school in the nation that didn't fill all its slots this year. Haven't you been reading ST lately?

Hopefully these near misses will turn into commits someday. öööö we need a closer...

During CPJ's signing day press conference he said he thought had a couple more guys that would sign later. I wonder if he was referring to Elder. And who is the second guy?

One thing that I've learned from watching recruiting is that a lot of kids live in the moment. For example, they'll look at GT's basketball program right now and won't look at the trajectory of the program and where it will probably be in 2 years. Similarly, they look at the state of a football program like UM right now, and ignore things like the potential state of their football team after a 5 years post-season ban + 10 scholarship / year reduction.

And you can't really blame them. When you have two groups of people telling you different things about the state of the world in 4 years, the only thing you can really anchor onto as correct is the past.
I think it's quite evident that Miami is going to get no punishment at all.

Yeah, if we hadn't landed Jorgenson we'd have Elder IMHO.

Doubt it. If "the U" hadn't offerred, we may have. But the Jorgenson commit wasn't what pushed him to accept an offer from what he said was "my favorite school since I was little."

Got the offer he REALLY wanted. Jumped on it. Has little to do with other offers/commits or our coaches' ability to close.

IMHO

I would like to revisit this thread 4 years from now to see if he indeed is a playmaker.

You're probably right, and it may also be that he (Elder) is looking at the state of UM's basketball program today, which ain't too shabby.

Don't know if we were ever going to get him, but don't blame Paul Johnson for this one. If anyone is at fault it may be Brian Gregory for not giving him enough love as a basketball player.

You're probably right, and it may also be that he (Elder) is looking at the state of UM's basketball program today, which ain't too shabby.

IIRC five of their top six scorers are seniors. And it's not like they've been on a recruiting tear. I wouldn't be surprised if if they were in the bottom 4/5 teams of the ACC next season.

Don't know if we were ever going to get him, but don't blame Paul Johnson for this one. If anyone is at fault it may be Brian Gregory for not giving him enough love as a basketball player.

I don't know, I suspect our staff maybe should have pressured him more to commit on signing day. Our chances seemed really favorable then.

Doubt it. If "the U" hadn't offerred, we may have. But the Jorgenson commit wasn't what pushed him to accept an offer from what he said was "my favorite school since I was little."

Got the offer he REALLY wanted. Jumped on it. Has little to do with other offers/commits or our coaches' ability to close.

IMHO

Yeah, the situation sounds similar to that 2-star RB was holding out for Georgia.

I have a hard time seeing Miami coming back any time soon. The landscape has changed.

I don't know, I suspect our staff maybe should have pressured him more to commit on signing day. Our chances seemed really favorable then.

With as many decommits as we had right before signing day, I'm not sure the staff had much leverage to pressure him into anything.

If he really wanted to be at GT, he would have committed. Threatening to pull his offer wouldn't have changed the fact that he didn't really want to be here. He had enough other offers to "fall back" on.

And "we only have 6 more spots available" doesn't scare too many people.

I told you this kid was a prima donna. He will never amount to spit. Guys that pick Miami would never fit in at GT. He went where he belongs.

Go Jackets!

Right. Because no player ever that has come out of Miami has amounted to anything. What an idiot.

Miami got a pretty good talent. Hats off to them for recruiting better than us and landing this kid.

Back