Could Coach G be giving Bilbo a chance to NOT enter school?

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Doesn't classes start Mon or Tues? Struck me that G is letting Bilbo know so that Damarius can move on to a Div 1aa school & play this yr. Even, perhaps, move to a 1a school in Miss or La & sit out this yr while practicing & then have 2 playing yrs.
The Coach coulda waited another week or 2 to make his position move. This is better to let young Mr Bilbo know now that he isn't in the mix to be GT's QB. Would Bilbo prefer being #4 QB, waiting for injuries to take their toll, or be given a shot @ RB? If injuries do strike, Bilbo would certainly be an ace in the hole for Gailey.
Of course, the final weekend is not much time to decide on a school change & whether to stay 1a or drop to 1aa, but it is much better than waiting til next weekend to make this move.
Demarius' head must be spinning. Bet his parents are concerned. Huge decisions to be made by Demarius this weekend. Hope he makes the right one for himself.
Hope Gailey makes the right one for Ga Tech.

I'm adding this article by Brian Murphy of the Macon Telegraph & Morris News Service (which is picked up by the Savannah, Augusta & Columbus papers). Good read.

It's Bilbo's decision to stay or go.

Unless the NCAA has changed the rules Bilbo would be penalized because he participated in fall practice with the Jackets. I don't think the timing had anything to do with accomodating Bilbo's transfer plans. I hope the kid stays and applies himself because I believe he can be as good as he wants to be. This kid has unbelievable talent.

Buck, as I said, if he enters 1aa, he can play immediately. If he enters 1a he will have to sit out a yr.
These are a few of the questions Demarius is dealing with. Tough position for this young man, especially if he wants to continue to play QB!!!

I hope his parents are worried about his education more so than him being repositioned on a football team. Hopefully, someone can let him know that once you are a Tech man you are always a Tech man and we will support you. (I am wavering on that statement the more Coleman Rudolph talks)

GT Ace, my apologies, I guess I'm not only old but obviously I must be losing some of my VISION. You did indeed say 1aa and you are correct sir.

FYI, classes start a week from monday, so DBo has some time to decide. Let's hope for his non-football related future and for the good of the team that he stays put. We're all behind you DBo!

We know it has to hurt. No player likes to think he is not the best at his position, especially losing it to a freshman. However, it happens every year on every team in every sport.

It is one of the realities of life. The big lesson is to keep trying, even if it means another position change. He appears to be a good athlete and can help himself and the team at another position.

In time, he might find he prefers the other position. I certainly hope he stays with the team and has ultra success at another position. I believe he was offered scholarships at other positions.

So far, it seems Gailey is not afraid to make decisions and make changes. Whether all the changes that have been made turn out right, he has not flinched.

I predict the Dawan Landry move will be one huge success. I think he has a chance over the next couple of years to play himself into a good pro draft position.

Father Time

Some QBs take to a position move, especially if they feel they don't have the QB skills of 2-3 others on the team, & some QBs plain out don't want to play another position.
Jermaine Crenshaw moved to 1aa (not much eligibility left for a 1a team to take him) to continue being a QB. Rashan Johnson transferred to the MAC to continue his dream of playing 1a QB. Al Pena Transferred to play QB for another 1a team for unknown reasons.
Bilbo knows he won't get another shot at 1a QBing here, barring a QB catastrophe this season, so he must decide to move to another school to keep QBing or stay @ GT in another position. This is a real tough decision for this young man, especially with the physical ability he has.
There are a LOT of div1a teams that would love to have a QB of Bilbo's stature & eligibility. The 1st ones to come to mind are: Troy St, MTennSt, La-La, La-Mon, La Tech, Memphis, Tulane, So Miss, Houston, Ala-Bir, ECar & the list goes on & on.

Back