Could we see fans in the stands much sooner?

ricejacket

Damn Good Rat
This is NOT a political thread, but could what we're seeing in our country prove to be a mass experiment in mass gatherings and the spread of COVID? If we DON"T see a spike in numbers in the coming weeks could organizations view that as a real world example that the potential spread is minimal assuming masks and other precautions are taken, thus allowing fans to attend games?

taxjacket

Varsity Lurker
This is NOT a political thread, but could what we're seeing in our country prove to be a mass experiment in mass gatherings and the spread of COVID? If we DON"T see a spike in numbers in the coming weeks could organizations view that as a real world example that the potential spread is minimal assuming masks and other precautions are taken, thus allowing fans to attend games?
I hope that is what occurs but it wouldn't surprise me if we fall back to the "you can't go anywhere or gather with anyone" phase as soon as this is over ....

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Maybe. I could see starting with no fans or limited capacity, then building up. Too early to tell.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
What factor would you use to make the decision? Availability of ventilators and ICU beds?
I am guessing the general prevalence of the virus in the population is going to be the number one factor. Also how many tests they are doing. If it is relatively contained and they are catching most of the cases, we should be able to get back to semi-normal. If it's spreading like wildfire undetected, maybe not. But that's unlikely to happen now, IMO.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Perhaps - except if in n.y.c.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Fans in the stands
Clapping their hands
Cheering “let’s go let’s go, score score score”

HamiltonFan

Varsity Lurker
People have pretty much moved on from talking COVID in my part of the world, however they do talk about worrying about a "second spike" in the fall if things go back to normal. The thing is we have had our highest 3 day total of new cases in Kentucky over the past 3 days. The first spike never ended and it likely won't. I think there's an imaginary world folks live in where they'll wake up in August to "3 new cases" of COVID in Kentucky and it just isn't going to happen like that.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
People have pretty much moved on from talking COVID in my part of the world, however they do talk about worrying about a "second spike" in the fall if things go back to normal. The thing is we have had our highest 3 day total of new cases in Kentucky over the past 3 days. The first spike never ended and it likely won't. I think there's an imaginary world folks live in where they'll wake up in August to "3 new cases" of COVID in Kentucky and it just isn't going to happen like that.
Or older people will simply watch on tv just like when it’s really cold or wet.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

and I looked at the stats and it is 200 cases a day in a state of how many million? Shutting down everything again is not going to fly

but the police will be popular again

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Covid making a full comeback according to the news today. Season looking more and more like a pipe dream. Maybe Trump could say that he doesn't like football & it should never be played again.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
Covid making a full comeback according to the news today. Season looking more and more like a pipe dream. Maybe Trump could say that he doesn't like football & it should never be played again.
LOL, nobody cares about COVID anymore. Stop watching the news.