CPJ has turned into CCG

All this aspirational talk that VL could maybe, possibly, perhaps have done better than TW. But as far as winning, the points per possession is everything. CPJ did what he could to play VL, but against very good defenses, we needed to go deeper in the scheme to get yards and points.

UNC says hello. Scored on every possession except the one to run out the half and the end of the game where we took a knee with Vad in the game.

Also, tonight we scored on one out of two possessions when Vad was in the game. We scored on three out of eight with Tevin in the game.

Am I the only one that actually watches Vad plays instead of what message board posters say about him? Yes, he has a lot more talent and explosiveness than TW, but that doesn't necessarily equal a better chance to win.

If you want to play VL because of the future, then that's fine with me. The production of the two QB's in general has been pretty much a wash though. At least CPJ plays the backup and stuck with him when he was hot. CCG NEVER played Taylor even when Reggie was doing absolutely horrible, and CCG's offense wasn't schematically complicated like CPJ's.

They don't. They don't notice that Vad can't run CPJ's offense and assume that they're better judges of who is more effective then the coach.

All this aspirational talk that VL could maybe, possibly, perhaps have done better than TW. But as far as winning, the points per possession is everything. CPJ did what he could to play VL, but against very good defenses, we needed to go deeper in the scheme to get yards and points.

What yards and points? FSU scored 0 points in the second half. TW ran us up and down the field to exactly 6 points before we got the TD. Then when we needed to throw he once again ----ed it up.

TW 4 of 14 for 76 yds and 1 int.
Vad 1 of 1 for 42 yds. Vad's happy feet are fine by me.

Honest question, is our offense really schematically complicated compared to a pro-style offense? I assumed that it is more of a read and react after the snap sort of deal than a pro-style set where I'd assume you read before the snap.

There are pre-snap reads and post-snap reads. The pre-snap reads determine things like what side the ball is going to go to ("numbers, angles, then grass" as CPJ called it) as well as audible to a different play altogether if the defense is lined up to defend the inside or outside.

The post-snap reads... like the option reads. I also believe QB is taught to read the coverage if the play call happens to be a passing play.

Aside from the option reads, I don't think the QB reads are much different than any other offense.

UNC says hello. Scored on every possession except the one to run out the half and the end of the game where we took a knee with Vad in the game.

That's why I said very good defenses, which UGA and FSU and UNC is not. Instead of extrapolating how Vad would have done against UGA and FSU from the UNC game, you could look at how he did against UGA and FSU on the drives he got. The production just wasn't that much better, if better at all.

As far as the specific instance of the very last drive, I would have played VL. I agree with that. My points are about people saying we have had a savior in VL sitting on the bench this whole time and if we always played VL this season, we would have been fine. That's just not the case based on the drives he has had.

They don't. They don't notice that Vad can't run CPJ's offense and assume that they're better judges of who is more effective then the coach.

CPJ's offense as is does not work against the good run defenses like FSU and BYU. In those games we have to be able to pass some. Tevin was 4 of 14--hence we don't score on good run D. I like CPJ, I like the O, but how can you not see the potential of running this O with a good passer? And in obvious pass situations, what is the point of having the TO expert in the game?

That's why I said very good defenses, which UGA and FSU and UNC is not. Instead of extrapolating how Vad would have done against UGA and FSU from the UNC game, you could look at how he did against UGA and FSU on the drives he got. The production just wasn't that much better, if better at all.

As far as the specific instance of the very last drive, I would have played VL. I agree with that. My points are about people saying we have had a savior in VL sitting on the bench this whole time and if we always played VL this season, we would have been fine. That's just not the case based on the drives he has had.

Check your math again. We scored on 50% of Vad's series tonight.

We scored on 38.5% of Tevin's series.

Vad scored on 1 out of 2 drives today and was 1 of 1 for 42 yards passing. Extrapolate that!

What yards and points? FSU scored 0 points in the second half. TW ran us up and down the field to exactly 6 points before we got the TD. Then when we needed to throw he once again ----ed it up.

TW 4 of 14 for 76 yds and 1 int.
Vad 1 of 1 for 42 yds. Vad's happy feet are fine by me.

It's not yards or completion percentages that matter, it's the points per possession. The QB is not a detached part of this offense who is judged solely by passing numbers, but also by the efficiency in running the option.

Neither QB did particularly well, but VL's two possessions ended in a punt and a FG. I don't get why people are focusing so much on the QB controversy when we have difficulty with both QB's in scoring points against UGA and FSU.

Vad scored on 1 out of 2 drives today and was 1 of 1 for 42 yards passing. Extrapolate that!

Yes, and the 42 yard pass was just about all of that scoring drive. 42 out of 55 yards to be exact. His other drive went for 8 yards. So outside of one play, he went 13 yards on 12 plays.

Basically, an offense under Vad would have been pretty much entirely dependent on home run throws to score points. Each time it tried to run CPJ's offense, it got stuck.

It's not yards or completion percentages that matter, it's the points per possession. The QB is not a detached part of this offense who is judged solely by passing numbers, but also by the efficiency in running the option.

Neither QB did particularly well, but VL's two possessions ended in a punt and a FG. I don't get why people are focusing so much on the QB controversy when we have difficulty with both QB's in scoring points against UGA and FSU.

It's actually points per game that I pay attention to. In 50% of TW's starts that number has been lower for GT than for GT's opponent.

CPJ's offense as is does not work against the good run defenses like FSU and BYU. In those games we have to be able to pass some. Tevin was 4 of 14--hence we don't score on good run D. I like CPJ, I like the O, but how can you not see the potential of running this O with a good passer? And in obvious pass situations, what is the point of having the TO expert in the game?

It worked okay at times. It does fail miserably a lot of the time in 4th and long though. The problem is that CPJ runs the TO and Vad doesn't run it well. Call it hard headed, but he's running what he is comfortable with.

There are pre-snap reads and post-snap reads. The pre-snap reads determine things like what side the ball is going to go to ("numbers, angles, then grass" as CPJ called it) as well as audible to a different play altogether if the defense is lined up to defend the inside or outside.

The post-snap reads... like the option reads. I also believe QB is taught to read the coverage if the play call happens to be a passing play.

Aside from the option reads, I don't think the QB reads are much different than any other offense.

Thanks. I guess what I had in mind is that pro-style quarterbacks are trying to figure out whether the defense is playing zone or man, blitzing or just faking it and if a blitz is a regular blitz or a zone blitz.

Doesn't the option largely force teams to play straight up assignment football (thus, taking a lot of the guess work of what they are doing out of it)? I'd think your pre-snap read would largely consist of noticing in where the defense has overloaded.

Vad did not have a problem scoring against UNC. No way Tevin beats that team.

It's actually points per game that I pay attention to. In 50% of TW's starts that number has been lower for GT than for GT's opponent.

The QB has no control over the points scored by the other team. It's whether they score more points than the next QB, and if one looks at the possession of Vad vs. Tevin, there is no big advantage for Vad any way you look at it. At best, the points per possession difference marginally favors Vad if it favors him at all.

It worked okay at times. It does fail miserably a lot of the time in 4th and long though. The problem is that CPJ runs the TO and Vad doesn't run it well. Call it hard headed, but he's running what he is comfortable with.

If he doesn't start running it better against the good teams he won't be doing it much longer. This from a big fan of CPJ (but not a fan of TW)

VPI 2 minute drive - 2010 - pick
Air Force 2 minute drive - 2010 - pick
UGA 2 min drive -2010 - pick
Utah 2 minute drive - missed FG
VPI 2 min drive -TD!!! - defense ----s up, then Tevin ---- up in OT
Miami OT - Tevin goes ROGUE
FSU 2 min drive - little girl float pass
Lots of other bad throws over the 2.5 seasons.

The kid works hard, but I'm glad he's done.

This was on cpj's playcalling. Scully had the leg but pj decided to set up the kick on the right hash mark rather than in the middle or left.

Back