CPJ: Vad "light years ahead" than expected

alpha

Dodd-Like
Last edited:
119810_o.gif

AJC article:
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...om-johnson/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports

At Tech’s media day Saturday, Johnson called Lee “intriguing” and said he had surprised coaches with his grip on the offense after four days of practice.

Johnson said that Lee is “light years ahead of where I thought he would be in four days, with footwork and understanding what we’re trying to accomplish, in doing all those things.”

Johnson said Lee has been an eager student, coming into coaches’ offices to study video of the offense every spare minute. Johnson demurred on the subject of actually playing Lee.

“If he’s ready to pay, he’ll play,” Johnson said. “If he’s not, he won’t. If he’s second team, he’ll be second team. If he’s third team, he’ll be third team.”

From RW.com:

On the quarterback situation
"It is hard to say when you don't have the pads on. Certainly, Vad Lee is intriguing and has surprised us. Synjyn [Days] has done ok. It is hard to tell until you put the pads on and start playing." "The way that [Lee] carries himself is very confident. He wants to jump in and take a million reps. He actually light years ahead of where I thought he would be. In four days with footwork and understanding what we want to accomplish, he can do it. Now, is he ready to play tomorrow? No. But if I go back and think about when we first came here, trying to put this stuff in and what it looked like in four days, and what he looks like, it is really amazing. Does he do everything right? No. He still drops snaps, he still makes freshman mistakes. But you can see that there is a lot of potential there. I know that he studied our offense before he got here. He spends every spare minute watching tape and studying. He wants to play. We will do what gives our team the best chance to win though. That is the bottom line. If he is ready to play, he will play. If he's not, he won't."

“If he’s ready to pay, he’ll play,” Johnson said. “If he’s not, he won’t. If he’s second team, he’ll be second team. If he’s third team, he’ll be third team.”

The kids have to pay Johnson to get in the game? He already makes millions from the school, and he's taking money from 18 year olds?!

"It is hard to say when you don't have the pads on. Certainly, Vad Lee is intriguing and has surprised us. Synjyn [Days] has done ok.

Not really raving reviews for Synjyn. Hope he can pick it up when they are in full pads and get some better feedback.

I asked myself the same question every day, how was this guy only a 3 star? He's a once in a lifetime prospect. I guess it turned out great for us that he wasn't ranked higher, we might have not gotten him.

I asked myself the same question every day, how was this guy only a 3 star? He's a once in a lifetime prospect. I guess it turned out great for us that he wasn't ranked higher, we might have not gotten him.

Ignoring the every day part of this, I think you're really reaching with "once in a lifetime prospect." In my lifetime Georgia Tech has had the following starting QBs:
Todd Rampley
Shawn Jones
Donnie Davis
Tom Luginbill
Joe Hamilton
George Godsey
A.J. Suggs
Reggie Ball
Taylor Bennett
Joshua Nesbitt
Tevin Washington

All of these guys have actually played a down of college football. Vad, based on my superior talent evaluation abilities :cool:, looks somewhere less than Shawn Jones / Joe Hamilton but above every other QB we've had because everyone else has sucked as a QB talent.

All I'm saying is let's not oversell the guy. I mean Reggie looked great through his freshman year. Vad deserves some hype, but come on...

Did bonham get a name change?

Ignoring the every day part of this, I think you're really reaching with "once in a lifetime prospect." In my lifetime Georgia Tech has had the following starting QBs:
Todd Rampley
Shawn Jones
Donnie Davis
Tom Luginbill
Joe Hamilton
George Godsey
A.J. Suggs
Reggie Ball
Taylor Bennett
Joshua Nesbitt
Tevin Washington

All of these guys have actually played a down of college football. Vad, based on my superior talent evaluation abilities :cool:, looks somewhere less than Shawn Jones / Joe Hamilton but above every other QB we've had because everyone else has sucked as a QB talent.

All I'm saying is let's not oversell the guy. I mean Reggie looked great through his freshman year. Vad deserves some hype, but come on...

Read BOS's post again assuming it's followed by: :rolleyes:

Back