Damn, Billy to have second interview with MINN (LINKS)

The timing of this is very irritating, but it's hard to blame BOB for interviewing. And if he does stay (which is my guess) it can be turned into a positive for us to have a staff of NFL coaches and coaching candidates.

Man, this BOB to Minnesota thing really chaps my behind. I'm really mad at GOL about this, trying to wreck our recruiting. Steamin' mad. Also, BOB needs to get this behind him quick. We've got a recruiting season possibly hanging in the balance.
I'll be highly PO'd if Braine doesn't go after the 1.5 million at this point.

I have given this whole situation a lot of thought. In my line of work I spend many hours contemplating peoples motives.

First, I do not blame Billy. It appears that he had one helluva first interview and now the guy wants to meet with him in Minn. This would be a ~$150,000 raise and I cannot fault the guy. But I will say this. The NFL is not the place to perfect your craft. I do think in a few years Billy will be able to right his own ticket, but he is not there yet. He struggled at times last year. Specifically he struggled when GT played good D's (FSU, MD, Ugag). The other D's the whole ACC lit up. I think Billy should be patient he is a very young man.

But the motives of O'Leary concern me. Based on comments I have heard it appears that Braine has always been pursuing that 1.5 mil buyout. It is possible that the pursuit of this money has caused O'leary to feel "betrayed" and that could possibly be his motive to push for BOB to get the NFL job.

I do not blame BOB b/c it is a step up. If anyone doubt that compare the OC job of miami to the OC job of Minn and we all know who was the prior OC of Miami.

If that pursuit of this money has caused O'leary to kick the program in the teeth then that is very regrettable.

Of course there are a couple of other possible motives. O'leary may feel that BOB is a really smart guy whom O'leary can keep under his thumb and ride his back to the top of coaching.

and another possiblity is that O'leary would like to see GT do poorly post O'leary b/c this would make him look good.

Regardless of O'leary's motives I am glad that he is gone. Someone that would do this is not the type of representative I want for the head coach.

As a footnote I believe we should not have pursued the 1.5 million. It is very possible that the pursuit of that money may have brought this on.

IMO.

If I was BOB, I would want to work for the new boss for at least a year. Gailey was the OC for Miami!! Gailey knows exactly what is involved in being a OC at the next level. Who else would you like to learn from right now?!? Gailey could help BOB understand how to deal with the big egos, the media, and all that other stuff that a coach has to deal with in the NFL. Gailey has already said that the offense is BOB's to run!

There will always be at least one OC getting fired every year in the NFL. BOB shouldn't be in a rush. If he keeps doing well at Tech, his stock will just keep going up and up.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jimbobGT:
If I was BOB, I would want to work for the new boss for at least a year. Gailey was the OC for Miami!! Gailey knows exactly what is involved in being a OC at the next level. Who else would you like to learn from right now?!? Gailey could help BOB understand how to deal with the big egos, the media, and all that other stuff that a coach has to deal with in the NFL. Gailey has already said that the offense is BOB's to run!

There will always be at least one OC getting fired every year in the NFL. BOB shouldn't be in a rush. If he keeps doing well at Tech, his stock will just keep going up and up.
<hr></blockquote>

Jim,

I agree with you. The sound decision is to stay and work against weaker talent. But Minn is an opportunity and i want someone to tell me they would not leave their job for a ~$150,000 raise.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by law_bee:

Jim,

I agree with you. The sound decision is to stay and work against weaker talent. But Minn is an opportunity and i want someone to tell me they would not leave their job for a ~$150,000 raise.
<hr></blockquote>

Oh I know, I think everyone would understand if he did leave for the Vikings. He did quite a job for us this year even with O'leary holding him back. Its just that he has more upside potential staying here than leaving. But you are right, its hard to consider that when someone is waving an extra 150K at you.

You know, not that it matters now, since the job is narrowed to two, but according to 790 a couple of days ago, another candidate for this job was Jimmy Robinson, a Tech grad who was also a candidate for our HC job. I don't know if that is related to O'Leary or not, but it could be that he has a LOT of say-so Tice. After all, he was his coach in high school, could still feel that way about him.

I understand all sides of this quandry. We all want to see BoB succeed but to me the essential question concerns his full OC skill preparation for the NFL. 'Fridge did not jump directly to OC when he left GT the first time. Defense is so paramount in this league that some very good OC's are having problems generating offense(caveat: Rams). However, this decision will have to be made by BoB. He should know his future goals and what he needs to do to achieve them.

Re: GoL
I firmly believe that GT should seek the $1.5 mil compensation called for in the contract. GoL talked at great length about personal accountablity and now is the time for him to adhere to his self proclaimed principles.

THWG. Up with the White and Gold

bigthumbup.gif
bigthumbup.gif

Back