Darn, hate to lose Jarod Alford, too.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
He made a pretty good impression on the coaching staff last season while working as the scout team QB as a preferred WO. His athletic ability was liked. There was much talk of moving him to OLB or DE to see if he would work out (much like the move of McNair to OLB).
Seemed like he was making waves as far as being a WO scout team QB, so he must've had a good reason for leaving. Kinda sad, as he was in good academic standing. Here's the link to all our loses so far from the Macon Telegraph:

GT's loses for Fall continue to mount up

Is that the final roster or are there other players on the bubble so to speak with summer grades?

Here is the 2003 roster on RW.com:
GT's '03 Fall roster

There are rumors that some are still trying to remain eligible by passing a course or 2 in summer school. 33Jacket says "The 1st test of success of this change will be the academic eligibility of the "7" academic troubled individuals who have not yet been suspended. If we get by making them all eligible then I would say we are off to a good effective start".
As usual, the fans will be the last to know. It will take some investigative work by someone outside the Tech family to find out & let the Tech family know. I'm sure the AJC is poised to be one of the investigators after the great turmoil they stirred up with the announcement they made of the Spring disaster.
We'll know in 2 weeks.

Old Crabby Techster iterates "it was widely reported that 7 others almost failed out as well and were going to have to do a lot of work to play in the fall. Some of the 7 were very good players & I'll leave it at that. Hopefully, they can pull it together".
Golly, if we lose any more, much less 7 more, we won't recover for several yrs. Could be, & may already be, the worst thing to ever hit the Ga Tech football program. It's awful. What were all the Asst Coaches 'doing' during all this probation, before being dropped, situation in the Spring semester??????

GT Ace, there is no doubt the failures have really harmed our physical strength. And, is also no doubt more failures could be critical.

It is obvious, the quantity of players is more crucial than the quality of those players. It is a given fact theloss of a large number of players is crucial to the success of a coach.

With this in mind it is obvious he would do everything possible to keep from losing these players. So, it should be obvious Gailey was blindsided by this development and was not aware of its severity.

I would be willing to guess there was no way he could do anything about the situation

Father Time

Best case scenario for Alford if he's really interested in playing would be that he found another program to transfer to. Maybe 1-AA. As good as he is I'm sure he could hook up with a smaller program looking for a QB. Or he could have decided to just concentrate on school.

Also noticed that Cory Wallace, Kyle's brother, who was a preferred WO last season is not on this season's roster. Sampson, Bridges, Pullen, McHargue, McNair, Alford, Wallace are all gone from Coach G's 1st class. Pena is gone from the 2nd class.
Wonder if any of the 'other 7' are from this small class as well?

NCJacket-O'L's staff did fairly well at coaching up their invited preferred WOs to starting positions. The latest being Will Heller, Matthew Ethridge & David Smidgall. They did a decent job of getting playing time for WOs.
Just pointing out that 2 preferred WOs invited by Coach G were gone after less than a yr along with 6 'shipped players. If you think it to be inconsequential, so be it, & don't worry about it at all. Others may want to know for informational purposes.

Didn't say there was anything wrong in pointing it out. But the fact is neither was a recruited player (meaning we didn't use a 'ship on them). Also didn't say it was inconsequential, but OTOH walkons quit for many reasons, one of them being they don't expect to ever play and decide to focus on their academics.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Didn't say there was anything wrong in pointing it out. But the fact is neither was a recruited player (meaning we didn't use a 'ship on them). Also didn't say it was inconsequential, but OTOH walkons quit for many reasons, one of them being they don't expect to ever play and decide to focus on their academics.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">In other words, if you're using this argument to beat on Gailey, everybody knows you're really reaching.

This has gone way past beating on Gailey. As we are instructed to believe, Chan has had nothing to do with side issues such as student athletes going to class and passing their courses. Being good fans, we now praise our head coach for really taking the bull by the horns. In a bold move, he will NOW care about the whole college experience of the players.

C'mon, this is ridiculous. I just want the games to get here so I can have something else to think about other than the obvious.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
Just a little nit pick here, but if Wallace and Alford were walk-ons, why would you count them in the recruiting class? I understand that coaches encourage some kids to WO with the hope that they'll show something, but fact is they weren't recruited players and weren't on scholarship. Let's not go out of our way to make things look worse than they are.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. i wonder who's doing the real nit picking.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ylojk8 nice report you had over on the hive paid site why don't you post it on the open form at stingtalk these GT fans need some good news and in my opinion that was some great NEWS YOU HAD!!!!!!!

Just a little nit pick here, but if Wallace and Alford were walk-ons, why would you count them in the recruiting class? I understand that coaches encourage some kids to WO with the hope that they'll show something, but fact is they weren't recruited players and weren't on scholarship. Let's not go out of our way to make things look worse than they are.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. i wonder who's doing the real nit picking.

Back