Data-driven expansion target analysis with strategic perspectives and insights for long term success

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
A great compilation, some crazy ideas...Look at his proposed playoff on slide 56. The top HBCU gets an auto-bid to the CFP??

Last edited:
That's crap and that is too much "wokeness" , even for me, HBCUs are not even competitive with the Top FCS Programs like James Madison or ND State, so why would they be in line for a CFP slot?

Hard pass.

Do not like, in a combat sport like FB you have to take into account Player Safety, this is a horrible idea to have an HBCU playing a high seed like Bama-UGA-Ohio State , etc just for the sake of including everybody.

I would actually love this. 4 Teams isn't enough. I would love to see a 68 team playoff like basketball has, but I know that isn't plausible because football is way more demanding. However, we gotta have more teams.

The top seeds in the NFL get a first round bye. This is basically the same thing with an awesome halftime marching band show added.
The Top seeds in the NFL are still Pros, no way is it essentially the same thing.

In CFB this is where HBCUs Rank:

1-Cream of the P5 - Bama-UGA-Ohio St- Oklahoma-Clemson-ND

2-Rest of the Top25

3-Middle Rungs of the P5

4-Lower Tier of the P5 (bottom 25%)

5-Elite G5 Programs -- Cincy, BYU, UCF, Houston, Memphis etc

6-Middle Tier G5 - - Army, Air Force, FAU, FIU, Ga Southern, etc

7-Lower Tier G5 --- NIL, Miami of Ohio, etc.

8-Elite FCS -- James Madison, ND State, William & Mary etc.

9-The Rest of FCS -- Don't even know their Names unless I hear a blurb on the late night score recap show, maybe The Citadel and schools of that ilk?

10- After all those Tiers above you finally have HBCUs, that have facilities that are 35- 40 years behind the Elite FCS Programs and are light years away from the Programs they'd have to face in a 1st round Playoff Game.

In summary HBCU FB is about 10 rungs below the Teams they'd face in a CFB Playoff Game, A P5 Playoff Team would have to empty the bench to keep from scoring a C-Note vs an HBCU Team

The Top seeds in the NFL are still Pros, no way is it essentially the same thing.

In CFB this is where HBCUs Rank:

1-Cream of the P5 - Bama-UGA-Ohio St- Oklahoma-Clemson-ND

2-Rest of the Top25

3-Middle Rungs of the P5

4-Lower Tier of the P5 (bottom 25%)

5-Elite G5 Programs -- Cincy, BYU, UCF, Houston, Memphis etc

6-Middle Tier G5 - - Army, Air Force, FAU, FIU, Ga Southern, etc

7-Lower Tier G5 --- NIL, Miami of Ohio, etc.

8-Elite FCS -- James Madison, ND State, William & Mary etc.

9-The Rest of FCS -- Don't even know their Names unless I hear a blurb on the late night score recap show, maybe The Citadel and schools of that ilk?

10- After all those Tiers above you finally have HBCUs, that have facilities that are 35- 40 years behind the Elite FCS Programs and are light years away from the Programs they'd have to face in a 1st round Playoff Game.

In summary HBCU FB is about 10 rungs below the Teams they'd face in a CFB Playoff Game, A P5 Playoff Team would have to empty the bench to keep from scoring a C-Note vs an HBCU Team

Whose alt are you?

Thanks for posting. Interesting quick read.
Main theme is breaking down Big 12 expansion candidates - wonder if they are a/the client.
Great data to explain the natural synergy behind the Alliance.
Also illustrates the complexity of football focus vs all sports+academics. TStan proudly mentioned GT achieved highest Directors Cup ever at 44th in a recent letter. Pac12 hits this hard, Stanford has won a pile of them. Yes of course football pays the bills.
So we fall into the mostly basketball/not so serious about football group within the ACC based on spending:-)
I need to look at that fan base slide again for us…looked better than expected but maybe I misread.
Rice definitely wins the maximum suckathon at sports vs elite academics award. On a bad day I joke that we’re emulating Rice (just kidding, at least not consciously).

That's crap and that is too much "wokeness" , even for me, HBCUs are not even competitive with the Top FCS Programs like James Madison or ND State, so why would they be in line for a CFP slot?

Hard pass.

Do not like, in a combat sport like FB you have to take into account Player Safety, this is a horrible idea to have an HBCU playing a high seed like Bama-UGA-Ohio State , etc just for the sake of including everybody.

Well I think the point is exposure for the HBCUs, followed by better recruits = more competitive.

Well I think the point is exposure for the HBCUs, followed by better recruits = more competitive.
The way to do that is with TV Contracts to carry their Regular Season Games and that Money over time will allow them to build their programs over Time.

Throwing an HBCU in the CFP won't solve the Problem , it only creates a terrible TV Game to further tick off CFB Fans.

This year it seems we only need two teams in the CFP - uga and Bama. And no, I don’t like typing that at all.

The top seeds in the NFL get a first round bye. This is basically the same thing with an awesome halftime marching band show added.
Everyone says öööö like this and I don't know why. We've had how many HBCUs come to BDS@HGF and I'm yet to see an impressive halftime show from them. I do occasionally get a chuckle out of the contrasting vulgarity of the dance moves in their performance directed at the old folks section of our fan base. That little appeal is lessened when I consider taking my young daughter to games.

Everyone says öööö like this and I don't know why. We've had how many HBCUs come to BDS@HGF and I'm yet to see an impressive halftime show from them. I do occasionally get a chuckle out of the contrasting vulgarity of the dance moves in their performance directed at the old folks section of our fan base. That little appeal is lessened when I consider taking my young daughter to games.
Your daughter probably loves those dance moves that you call vulgar, and she has likely seen far more suggestive crap on TikTok , IG, Tweeter and YouTube

Back