Dave Braine

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Link

In my opinion, this article does not bode well for Braine's integrity ... Braine needs to answer this... and realize that the AD can adversely impact athletic contributions.. .(i.e. the Prez at Ga... ) I hope that he was more honest than this article appears...

Bill Curry took a shot at DB during the game when asked if MacWhorter had a shot at being the head coach. Curry said that DB told MacWhorter that he wasn't going to make a decision until after the game and that MacWhorter "trusted" him to do that. One can argue semantics, but Curry is smart enough to use the word "trusts" if he thought it was a possibility.

BeeStorm

Honestly this is what I think happened: Braine did all the interviews. They had pretty much decided that Gailey was their man. But Mac honestly did deserve a shot at the job and they decided to see if Mac could change their mind with the bowl game. Turns out after the game, they still felt Gailey was the man. What else is there to talk about?

I think Mac's reaction bothers me even more. Everybody has known for more than a week that Braine and the administration liked Gailey. What was Mac expecting? That winning the Seattle Bowl was winning him the HC position? He did a good job in keeping the OCs and players loose and it showed. BUT, DB thinks Gailey is the way to go for the future.

would Mac have been happier if DB told him that he has NO shot at being the HC. DB gave him an official interview and that is a lot. Mac better be careful b/c he is burning bridges. This article reflects poorly on Mac more than DB. This is the nature of this business. If you dont like it then probably need to get out of coaching.

Sorry.. I dont agree with you guys... I think it looks much more poorly in regards to Braine... I have found in my career that if a person has no chance at a position, that you are much better telling them that, and telling them why, the least you can do is be honest... if Mac honestly deserved a shot, and the bowl game held any weight, he passed that test... (I dont believe the bowl game had anything to do with it though.. ) I left with the same impression that Mac left with yesterday, the decision had been made long before the bowl game... when asked Braine should have been honest with him, he didnt have to say who it was... but he should have said "you are not the one chosen"

What else is there to talk about? I do not think Braine performed as an executive I would want on my team... I think there is an integrity issue with Braine concerning this situation... I am not proud of the way it was handled.

What was Mac expecting? I would hope only for Braine to be upfront and honest... Mac's reaction doesnt bother me, if I find a person cant be trusted, I dismiss them... I think Mac feels that Braine lied to him, and it appears that he did...

I certainly do not have a problem with Gailey, and feel better with the decision to go with Chandler than Mac... but I think Braine mishandled the situation. I have always felt that the things that Rice, Curry, Cremins, etc. held in common were honesty and integrity... I think Braine could have done a better job.

I dont wont to belabor this point, but it was not just about Mac. There were ~75 young men involved and I think DB did the best job he could.

1. we do not know what was said. In fact we do not have the slightest idea.

sometimes in my job I tell people over and over again what is going to happen, but when it does (and they go to jail) they look at me with deer in the headlight eyes.

2. One of the first things that DB said was Mac would not be considered for the job. In fact DB said he would not get an interview. After time went by DB reconsidered and DID interview Mac. That IS significant. Mac can say he interviewed for one of the most prestigious coaching positions in the south.

Did anyone here think Mac was actually a candidate? Most people did not. You cannot start off at the top position. If mac was a OC or DC that would have been different.

Taaffe, JR and Mac all were interviewed. Even on that list Mac is not first choice. Does anyone here think he is the BEST candidate?

I SAY AGAIN noone knows what DB said to Mac and noone knows what Mac chose to hear, but most people I know never saw Mac as a serious candidate.

I think by DB giving him an interview was a pretty big gift and it was in exchange of him leading the team.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jacketguy:
Sorry.. I dont agree with you guys... I think it looks much more poorly in regards to Braine....<hr></blockquote>

I think you assumed the same thing as Mac, that till the Stanford game, all candidates were on equal footing. This just isn't the way things work. As you interview people, certain candidates stand out to you. After all the candidates were interviewed, including Mac, Gailey stood out. DB gave Mac another chance with the Stanford game. And honestly, I think Mac did a great job, but DB and committee decided that Chan was still better.

I think you are assuming that all the contracts were signed before the Stanford game. I'm sure DB, Clough, and the committee had discussed beforehand that Gailey was their leading candidate before the Stanford game. I think what Clough let slip out was exactly that.

I love Mac, and when all is said and done, he will benefit greatly from his exposure on nat'l TV, a big win, how he handled the kids and the circumstances. That was as good an interview as he may ever have with many, many other schools across the country! I am sure Mac will appreciate the opportunity that DB gave him to shine in the limelight. I just wish he had not opened his mouth about DB cause one of the best things I love about Mac is his class. He will surface as HC of another, maybe smaller, school and be a huge success, I hope. He is an asset!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back