Dave Braine

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
I can see the apologist for Chan Gailey are coming out and I guess that is good because it gives us on the other side of the split Tech family another point of view to consider. I do realize Dave Braine will not fire Chan Gailey for at least 3 yrs. Why? Because he would have to admit his mistakes. Athletic Directors are like that. Remember, Dooley over in Athens did not want to fire Donnan and did everything he could short of sacrificing his own job before he would do it. Michael Adams, the president of UGA deserves more credit(or blame from my point of view) than Dooley does. My point is Braine, just as Dooley will not admit his mistakes. only when forced by DR. Clough or by the GTAA's deep pockets will we see a change. But I fear the football program will suffer far more damage than UGA's.

IMO--Braine is now facing the biggest onslaught of criticism in his GA TECH life, maybe in his AD life. When former players start ripping the program, there isn't much wiggle room. I along with many have made my opinions known to Dave, along with the financial consequences. I have also congratulated him in the past on his baseball and basketball hires.

The mutts fired a coach that won 40 games in 5 years, because he couldn't beat his biggest rival. Why should GA TECH be any different. The mutts have never been embarrassed like we were this past weekend. We have an enlarged stadium to fill, and what do we do? Turn off every fence-sitter on the TECH season ticket hopeful list.

I've lived here long enough to know that nice guy gets you nowhere in the world of college athletics. You either play the game like the big boys play or you step aside. Dave's decision now is whether to play along or step aside.

If DB were a total coward (or got a better offer) he would quit just for you boys. Otherwise, that will only happen as soon as you have the balls to face him with your ignorant opinions and run him out of town. This man is here to stay. Maybe you need to leave. Good riddance.

Can't we all just get along?

Why must every issue end in complete polarization?

It's just disgusting.

As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

Somebody did not have a nap today.
laugh.gif

Originally posted by ALlives:
IMO--Braine is now facing the biggest onslaught of criticism in his GA TECH life, maybe in his AD life. When former players start ripping the program, there isn't much wiggle room. I along with many have made my opinions known to Dave, along with the financial consequences. I have also congratulated him in the past on his baseball and basketball hires.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What baseball coach did Braine hire? The current coach, Danny Hall was hired by Homer Rice 10+ years ago.

Well, let's see: HC Hall 'let go' all 3 of his assistants. One got another job as HC, but which came 1st, the 'letting go' or the new job? Hall then hired a completely new staff.
How much Braine had to do with this we'll never know, but under his tutledge, Coach Hall 'let go' an entire staff & hired a totally new staff. Coach Hall got immediate results. That's what I feel is meant by "playing like the big boys".

gnats, when I said Braine will not admit his mistake(hiring Gailey)I did not call him a "coward". I believe that is too strong an accusation for this subject or just about any subject on this board. LOL

The frustration is warranted. Stateline, I was only referring to the fact that DB is man enough to stand behind his decisions. You asserted that he was not.

I do realize Dave Braine will not fire Chan Gailey for at least 3 yrs. Why? Because he would have to admit his mistakes. Athletic Directors are like that. Remember, Dooley over in Athens did not want to fire Donnan and did everything he could short of sacrificing his own job before he would do it. Michael Adams, the president of UGA deserves more credit(or blame from my point of view) than Dooley does. My point is Braine, just as Dooley will not admit his mistakes. only when forced by DR.

Example of cowardice of character. I don't debate that you presented your point well, only that I am in disagreement with it. LOL!

Dave Braine is not going anywhere and neither is Chan Gailey. Dave Braine was brought here by Dr. Clough based on the relationship they developed when Dr. Clough was Dean of Engineering at VT. Braine history says he we stick with Gailey and give him the support he needs to get the program moving in the right direction. Some of you guys on this board are so far out in left field it laughable in your declaratory statements that what you say is fact. Its your opinion not fact.

83 jacket Question: What direction was the program heading in coming out the Seattle Bowl? As for their "relationship" in the real world we call that the "good ole boy network".

stateline, almost all coaching hires are a result of the good ole boy network. That's just how it works. Somebody knows somebody who knows somebody.

On your other point, I don't consider myself an apologist for anybody, but can see why some might characterize me as that. I simply think this was a bizare year with all the changes, injuries, ups and downs of the team and unfortunately the huge blowout Saturday. I don't think Chan did a great job, but I also don't think it was terrible. IMO we'll learn a lot more next year about what kind of coach he really is. If we don't see improvments in how we prepare and play then we may be headed for a change. If we see a different attitude from the team, regardless of how the W-L record ends up (within reason) then I think we'll be alright.

A Lives is right. Going back to Braine's blunder, it was really in his search. He wasn't straight up with Mac or the Tech community. Not sure Charlie Strong or Jimmy Robinson were ever seriously considered, not on the inside so no one knows. Several good coaches got away - Ga. Southern to Navy. The Ohio State and Wake Forest searches went hunting in the right direction the year before - guys who had proven they could win at the collegiate level. The NFL thing rarely works out, does it? If Braine is given another chance, perhaps he will learn from this fiasco. Having had success with the Hewitt hire, he tried to just ditto it, flying off in the night and having Bradley write - be patient, prepare to be surprise. I was surprised allright, when Georgia beat the hell out of us 51-7 last week. This may be the biggest turnaround in history and you can keep my posts so I eat crow next year if we go 10-2, but for the life of me I don't see it. Tenuta's defense held it together this year, but the rest of the conference is getting better. It will be a battle at the bottom between us and UNC. UVA will be better, as will FSU, Wake, Maryland , Clemson and State. We are on the road at BYU, host Auburn and look out, have to play Georgia again. Braine needs to light a fire under someone about expectations when playing Georgia, or he will find himself AD somewhere else I am sure.

As I recall Braine met with Gailey and in just 10-15 minutes into their first meeting Braine said he new he had found his man. I can't decide on what I want for dinner in that amount of time.

Braine is tutoring Hall? That might be the funniest thing I've heard this YEAR!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Braine had nothing to do with the people Hall recruits for his assistants. That is Hall being the great coach he is. He gives the ok on signing the checks, thats about it.

This guy got lucky with Hewitt, thank goodness for us. Hewitt is a helluva coach and it was the legacy Cremins built that brought him here not any sales job by Braine. He wasn't even the top 3 choice.

Time will tell on Gailey, but it doesn't look good right now. The final recruiting count will be the barometer.

drinking.gif

Back