Dave Glenn: ACC voting on Louisville on 7am conf call **

UL is the best free agent on the market right now and you people need to get a grip.

Football is solid. Basketball is elite and Baseball is solid as well. They are pouring tons of $ into their facilities and have made tremedous strides in improving the academics.

This. I think Louisville is a fine pick.

To everyone out there bitching, who else was a viable addition?

Adding no one right now was a better option. ACC has 14 teams in every sport but FB, and a 13 team FB conference for a year or two isn't the end of the world. Meanwhile, you negotiate with someone who makes sense or you drop to 12 when another team leaves (and you know another team will leave in the next few years). What you do not do is make a panic addition, which is exactly what this is.

GT needs to get out of the ACC immediately.

Adding no one right now was a better option. ACC has 14 teams in every sport but FB, and a 13 team FB conference for a year or two isn't the end of the world. Meanwhile, you negotiate with someone who makes sense or you drop to 12 when another team leaves (and you know another team will leave in the next few years). What you do not do is make a panic addition, which is exactly what this is.

A panic addition to add the most profitable basketball program in the country? With higher revenue than any school currently in the ACC? A school with great basketball, pretty good football, and solid other sports?

Did Louisville charge you athletic fees too? When were you in grad school there?

String them along and they might be off the market.

Then we'd be stuck with UConn or Cincy. Those schools don't bring near as much as Louisville.

Louisville for Maryland is worst case scenario, a wash. Heck, I think it is a net improvement.

Exactly. It looks like Swofford and the rest of the ACC were absolutely blindsided by the defection of MD.

I don't see how the ACC could have been surprised by MD.

MD $$$ problems were well known.

It was a MUST do for MD athletics to survive.

I don't want to add anyone, I want GT to leave. The ACC is a flaming pile and is in complete desperation mode to avoid going the way of the Big East, nearly the entire constituency of whom it has already absorbed.

I'm not against Louisville in specific, they're probably the best move at this point, but having gotten to this point is a sad milestone on a long sad road for the ACC. Just last year (or whenever) we turned down WVU on academic grounds despite their recent athletic success, but we're backtracking at the speed of sound on that stance now. One of two things is happening here:

1) The ACC really sees itself as a basketball conference. I'm not a basketball fan, so this is not for me, but adding Louisville would make sense here, although WVU has been pretty good at basketball in recent memory as well. So we're still backtracking in a very frustrating way since if we weren't handicapped by our academic elitism to begin with we'd have had the opportunity to go after a few other good athletic schools during the conferencepocalypse.

or

2) The writing is on the wall for the ACC and we're desperate. The $50 million door that keeps us safe from the wolves is being tested and if it fails, whatever appearance we had left that we're a stable major conference is gone. Louisville is somehow a stopgap for the evaporation process, maybe it makes us appear more stable or competitive while we try to beat UMD over the head to the tune of $50 million or something. I don't know.

Anyway. A good pickup considering the circumstances. Terrible circumstances, IMO.

Horrible academic school = no invite

didn't we go through this already with West Virginia?

I don't see how the ACC could have been surprised by MD.

MD $$$ problems were well known.

It was a MUST do for MD athletics to survive.

B.S. Kevin Plank brought $50M to the table to get the exit fee done if necessary. Why didn't he just bring $50M to the table until the new $5M to $10M ACC monies arrived in a few years? Either way, it's the same bridge loan.

I don't want to add anyone, I want GT to leave. The ACC is a flaming pile and is in complete desperation mode to avoid going the way of the Big East, nearly the entire constituency of whom it has already absorbed.

I'm not against Louisville in specific, they're probably the best move at this point, but having gotten to this point is a sad milestone on a long sad road for the ACC. Just last year (or whenever) we turned down WVU on academic grounds despite their recent athletic success, but we're backtracking at the speed of sound on that stance now. One of two things is happening here:

1) The ACC really sees itself as a basketball conference. I'm not a basketball fan, so this is not for me, but adding Louisville would make sense here, although WVU has been pretty good at basketball in recent memory as well. So we're still backtracking in a very frustrating way since if we weren't handicapped by our academic elitism to begin with we'd have had the opportunity to go after a few other good athletic schools during the conferencepocalypse.

or

2) The writing is on the wall for the ACC and we're desperate. The $50 million door that keeps us safe from the wolves is being tested and if it fails, whatever appearance we had left that we're a stable major conference is gone. Louisville is somehow a stopgap for the evaporation process, maybe it makes us appear more stable or competitive while we try to beat UMD over the head to the tune of $50 million or something. I don't know.

Anyway. A good pickup considering the circumstances. Terrible circumstances, IMO.

The ACC has always been about UNC. I just don't believe the ACC would be bothering with moves if they felt that UNC and then NCS were leaving.

MD left simply because they got scammed by a couple of leaders. The ACC was fine but for schools like GT holding back the conference in football and not driving tv ratings.

And it's still fine but for a partial loss of a big market (the big loss is Baltimore, not DC).

And UVA just came out strongly against any move. The only school that I can see moving in the near term is Georgia Tech, but that isn't happening until a suitable partner comes with them, and it's probably not happening as our leadership wants to cower in the corner anyway.

The ACC will be fine once it stands up the SEC and enforces the intentions of the NCAA or plays the game fully.

The ACC has always been about UNC. I just don't believe the ACC would be bothering with moves if they felt that UNC and then NCS were leaving.

MD left simply because they got scammed by a couple of leaders. The ACC was fine but for schools like GT holding back the conference in football and not driving tv ratings.

And it's still fine but for a partial loss of a big market (the big loss is Baltimore, not DC).

And UVA just came out strongly against any move. The only school that I can see moving in the near term is Georgia Tech, but that isn't happening until a suitable partner comes with them, and it's probably not happening as our leadership wants to cower in the corner anyway.

The ACC will be fine once it stands up the SEC and enforces the intentions of the NCAA or plays the game fully.

Yes, as long as we have UVA, we have hope.

Yes, ND will definitely want to join full time once we jettison one of their rivals and one of the private, religiously influenced schools that endeared it to the ACC in the first place.

Excellent plan.

Well I hope that the AA can use the UL inclusion as evidence of how weakening the athletic program at Tech in fact includes them with weaker academic schools in conference.

If GT had competed with UGA, none of this would have happened, IMO. A communications degree here or there would have kept us current, instead we fall behind with schools ranked below the SEC.

Well I hope that the AA can use the UL inclusion as evidence of how weakening the athletic program at Tech in fact includes them with weaker academic schools in conference.

If GT had competed with UGA, none of this would have happened, IMO. A communications degree here or there would have kept us current, instead we fall behind with schools ranked below the SEC.

How many football players would major in communications? The dumbasses you are trying to attract want Parks and Rec degrees, not anything with any real backbone. The players who really want a communications degree will go somewhere that they do it well, Syracuse. Look at where their players come from. They recruit everywhere while we only go to neighboring states. The reason we suck is that our coach doesn't recruit well, has lost much of the team, and refuses to emphasize anything other than his cute little offense.

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:
How many football players would major in communications? The dumbasses you are trying to attract want Parks and Rec degrees, not anything with any real backbone. The players who really want a communications degree will go somewhere that they do it well, Syracuse. Look at where their players come from. They recruit everywhere while we only go to neighboring states. The reason we suck is that our coach doesn't recruit well, has lost much of the team, and refuses to emphasize anything other than his cute little offense.

Oh no's!!

This is going to tarnish everyone's Georgia Tech diploma!

Absolutely. I wonder how many GT grads lost their jobs today because their employer didn't want to associate with any employee whose degree came from an institution that was loosely affiliated with Louisville.

Back