DB Jarvis Kyles "GT has nice practice fields"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
DB Jarvis Kyles \"GT has nice practice fields\"

The Insiders article is linked below. There is a huge difference in the way young Mr Kyles views GT & the way he views UGa,UFla. GT has nice practice grass while the others have good athletes, good coaches & will compete for championships. The perception being that if u've played for a conference championship then the athletes & coaches are good & the championships will continue.
GT has just got to win 9,10,11 games 'on the field' to draw 20 or so top drawer football players each yr to play for the Yellow Jackets. Success breeds success (see Hewitt & his recruiting). We've got to get the type fb players that we have in our other sports. It can be done & done soon.
This is not a slap at anybody, but a true statement that as far as football goes, Ga Tech has to do better. The fans have to do better by attending, encouraging, keeping an eye on coaches & administrators, & even posting more often our deep desires for GT to rank as an elite power in the ACC, not just to have a break even season. The coaches have to do better to get in & coach up better & better players. They have to find a way to win games & the conference. They have to be availiable to the GT fans, students, alumni, faculty & administrators of GT to answer the concerns of the job they're hired to do. The administrators have to do better at selling GT, that studying can get a degree, providing for whatever is needed to recruit football players to GT, providing academic help & a few more majors & publicizing them (i.e. Ceramics, Textiles, Biology, Political Science, etc), scheduling, etc, etc.
We've all got to do more . Ga Tech can be an ACC power in football just like we are in basketball, baseball, golf & tennis. We must all strive to win the ACC, every day with every move.

Prospect Jarvis Kyles lists GT in his Top 5

Re: DB Jarvis Kyles \"GT has nice practice fields\"

100% accurate Ace. Winning means more kids are automatically interested. What we have to do now is identify those that have the "right stuff" to take on the challenge without as much of an expectation of national success that some other programs can offer. We need kids who can compete and take us to the top that don't mind the challenge.

We as fans have to expect more, but we don't have to be dillusional of idiotic about it. We'll sometimes lose games that other programs might not have. But we have to demand quality play, execution and results or we won't get them. It's a fine line to balance on, high expectations without turning into Athens west.

I expect continued improvement on the field, maximum effort and a total commitment to winning the right way. It may take us a little longer than some programs might to get where we want to go, but we can't afford any short cuts of we destroy what Tech is all about.

I subscribe to Rivals...and I could give you countless quotes from high schools seniors talking about GT coaches being great...about GT playing for the ACC championship soon...about GT building a program the right way by "not recruiting the thugs" (as one player put it).

Jarvis is the only one to mention practice fields...and to be quite honest I do not think we have a shot at him.

Seems the kid has three offers and wants 2 more.

Hie top 2 of 5 are UGA and Florida and he doesn't have an offer from either...

Seems he is smart enough and 'possibly' classy enough not to show a lack of respect to one of the three schools that 'have' offered.

UGA offers - they get him. It's pretty clear.

He doesn't know anything about our school or he would have had a better response. There are plenty of reasons to attend and play for GT. Great facilities are one of, but not among the best, reasons and he has no clue. In fact he doesn't seem to know anything about any of the 3 schools he does have an offer from (or the 2 that haven't), so he has done no research in the situation at all.

Auburn is starting to get better players? AU traditionally has some of the greatest players in the nation year in, year out and was destroyed in recruiting by Alabama last year, who, in turn, also had an off couple of years. Auburn is getting 'worse' players, but have a traditionally strong program and will always do ok, at a minimum (unless they play a middle of the pack ACC team in a bowl game (UNC) or GT at Bobby Dodd).

I do agree tha Auburn is on the way up, but it's hard to get better than a #1 preseason rating last year before last year. Auburn has great talent, but it is declining. All hope will rest on Carnell Williams, who IS the real deal, but they have a completely reshuffled, and young OL to support him.

The coaching situation is good at UT? They've been 'smoked' - smoked as in not even close - in 2 straight Peach Bowls by ACC teams. They haven't scored a tough touch down since OC David Cutcliff left and went to Ole Miss as a Head Coach. They have had huge coaching problems.

'GT' has a great coaching situation with one of the hottest DC's in the COUNTRY and improved talent in the most needed voids. The kid plays defense, and before Tenuta was rated one of the best DC's in the nation he played and coached as one of the best DB coaches in the nation.

Is it a coincidence that our DB's EACH have some sort of national ranking while only one of UGA's does?

UGA and UF both have a ton to offer. UF has the edge on talent, UGA on coaching. No qualms about those statements.

I'd love to get the kid, but he seems like one of the brainwashed UGA crowd already, so he can do what he thinks is right.

We will achieve great things regardless of whether he shows up here, even 'if' we would fare even better with him.

We have Eric Williams incoming, Kenny Scott on board, and currently have the #1 free safety in the nation (per Phil Steele) in James Butler, and the # 9 Strong safety (also PS)in Dawan Landry. Reuben Houston will have a huge year, I promise (#35 per PS).

Kenny Scott was listed as #11 in the nation on signing day among all DB's by Phil Steele.

A DB will have to be pretty strong to get PT at GT at any position.

Neither of UGA's CB's (1-63) or a Strong Safety (1-45) are even listed by PS, although Thomas Davis is listed as The #5 Free Safety in the nation.

Right now UGA is having more overall success and also has a bigger need for DB's at Safety or CB.

I hope we get the kid, but we are heading the right direction either way. It takes time and we are doing the right things at about as fast a pace as can be expected. If we exceed expectations this year by the same amount we did last year, we are going to really hurt some people's feelings, and the rest will take care of itself.

The people that lead, coach, and teach these kids are all seeing what we do at GT. We will be fine. We are good and getting better. We have the resources in money, tradition, facilities, and personell, to get all the right things done over a short period of time.

Hey - Reggie Ball wanted to be an Auburn Tiger pretty bad also, and Joe Hamilton wanted to be a Clemson Tiger 'OR' a USC Gamecock before choosing GT. Keith Brooking and Ron Rogers both wanted to be Bulldogs. Fate intervened and I don't think you could strong arm a one of them to change what happened.

And we were heartbroken when a guy named Quincey picked UGA and left us with an unknown named Joe Hamilton.

Maybe we get the guy, and if we don't, we and he will both be ok. It will just be better for both of us if he changes his current direction. There's a lot of time and events between now and signing day.

You are right GT Ace, but . . .

you have to consider that you are preaching to the choir on these boards. Most of us on here are big time Tech sports fans. Still, even if fans, administrators, coaches, etc. up their efforts and desire (which I think is pretty passionate as is), you cannot guarantee there will be a significant difference. The average person is a hypnotic who is bombarded with daily messages about what to support and what to oppose. He sees the UGA hats, shirts. He hears the media cheer for the mutts. You ask for GT sports fans to treat Tech sports as if it were religious truth and to go out like the saints and preach the gospel. I love Tech as much as the next person, but isn't that taking college sports a little too seriously? I'm more inclined to accept Tech sports for what it is, let the chips fall as they may. You want to talk about increasing fan support, why hasn't there been a bigger buzz on these boards about our hoops recruiting? How is the basketball team going to take it to another level with the fan base we have? The Kentucky fanbase's rabidity (coming to our boards in droves and just showing up) really put us to shame in the Randolph Morris recruitment. And now you see where Morris went. What do you think Bobby Frasor thought about the fan support he'd have at Tech vs. the support he'd have at UNC? The average person is a lemming who looks for safety in numbers.

Ach tung, Herr

I feel u, HG, but u may be slightly, a tad, too bitter over the lack of fan support the past 3-4 yrs. Hewitt & Team will be packing em in from here on out & a tough ticket. Coach H has the media in his hand & is excellent for Ga Tech.
Agreed that most posters are the choir, but look at who's online at any time & u'll see 2-3 members with 10-15 anonymous users. There are a slew of potential posters, ticket buyers, fans, etc that could do a little more. Let's face it, we don't need to be zealots for GT all the time, but we all could do just a little bit more to support football/athletics @ GT. Let's do a teeny bit more.
There are many long time Tech fans I talk to on a regular basis who don't go to games. Why? They tell me they are waiting for a winner. People in Atlanta did not go to Braves' games in '91, then they won & the Braves went over 3 mil tix sold for several yrs. Atlanta/Georgia will back a winner tremendously.
I'm telling EVERYONE right now that if Chan Gailey ever makes a serious run at the ACC title, HE will be the media darling of all Georgia. Gailey's a native, has a ton of accumen, knowledge, contacts, personality & the list is endless. If Coach G can ever get it together to make a run, we'll all be flabbergasted at the overwhelming positive response.
I believe Chan Gailey & his coaching staff can do better, our Athletics Dept can do better, I can do better.

I hope you are right--

and I hope Hewitt is able to lure Calvin Miles and Jamal Boykin away from Kansas and UNC.

Re: I hope you are right--

I don't think fan support had anything to do with Morris. He and his mother both made it pretty clear...he was afraid of the academics. We don't need kids like that. Nothing against him, but if he isn't willing and doesn't have the confidence to do the classwork he should go somewhere else.

He also made it clear that he liked the big time fan worship. I don't advocate fan-worship of HS kids. I'm just pointing out the reality of why I think this one kid chose UK over us. And I think the UK fans' Johnny-come-lately full court press for him was a big part of this. The surge was both on the internet, and through other avenues, I believe. He's an 18 year old kid. Ofcourse he craves attention. UK made it known to him through every avenue of power that he was their CHOSEN ONE.

Now, I don't agree with this approach at all. I'm not advocating it. I'm merely trying to point out the reality of what these large SEC fanbases have access to. And some large ACC ones too.

I just don't happen to agree. Seems pretty clear the kid looked at the school side of the decision and realized he couldn't or didn't want to cut it, and then looked at the playing time situation and realized he would have to share time. And if that's not it, and he made a decision based on fan worship, then he's really at the right place.

Back