Death Blow

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
What about white athletes? Newsome is a moron. Shouldn't be shocked, he's destroyed that once beautiful state.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If the spirit was dead for college ball, the body may be soon to follow. Dumb ass Californian politicians have their heads up their ass.
USC is going to pull an Amazon. “Sorry no profits this year, reinvesting money into the programs”
It will never pass.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
USC is going to pull an Amazon. “Sorry no profits this year, reinvesting money into the programs”
It will never pass.
The article says revenue. Which raises a few key questions for me:
1) revenue, really? Surely not as that would mean even the football programs aren't financially viable.
2) doesn't this violate Title IX?
3) the bill name implies race, but I don't see anything in the bill related to race, wtf?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
The article says revenue. Which raises a few key questions for me:
1) revenue, really? Surely not as that would mean even the football programs aren't financially viable.
2) doesn't this violate Title IX?
3) the bill name implies race, but I don't see anything in the bill related to race, wtf?
1.) It is based off of revenue which is even dumber than doing it off of profits. If this passes, I’m sure the big boys like USC will make it work but losing half of your revenue every year would probably shutter most FB, MBB, and WBB in the state. It assumes the tuition and board is all that’s being ponied up for the student athlete vs how much goes into running a CFB program. They want SA to share in the revenue but not to share in the costs of actually running the program. Talk about killing the golden goose.
2.) it says they had title IX protections in the bill that have been stripped out.
3.) I think the idea is that these are the three sports that are predominantly AA and students don’t graduate at a high level, so instead of a degree, they get cashish too.

It isn’t even out of committee, no way this passes, even in California. Really dumb idea, and would ensure most colleges would stop these three sports.

cincytechie

Jolly Good Fellow
Anything that might possibly move college football and basketball towards a professional model with a draft system sounds good to me. Need to end the facade that these money-making sports is amateur at all. The only way for schools like GT to compete is to level the playing field among all power conference teams and implement a draft coming out of high school. Pay to play already exists obviously for those schools that can afford it.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
I kinda like this part:

"Schools would establish a degree completion fund for each athlete, and the contents of the fund — fed annually — would be made available soon after degree completion (within six years). If the athlete does not graduate within six years, he or she will forfeit the fund and it will go back into the athletic budget."

coit

Also, I forget where I saw it but I thought that GT had just announced a plan to pay athletes for their athletic performance on behalf of the school. Anyone else see that? I thought I saw it on FB this morning?

coit

Also, I forget where I saw it but I thought that GT had just announced a plan to pay athletes for their athletic performance on behalf of the school. Anyone else see that? I thought I saw it on FB this morning?
Ah, I see that @GTWannaBee posted it here too.

" Student athletes will be eligible to receive up to $5,980 per academic year if they meet the minimum standards. "

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Ah, I see that @GTWannaBee posted it here too.

" Student athletes will be eligible to receive up to $5,980 per academic year if they meet the minimum standards. "
Doesn't tie into their athletic achievements

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
This is a good thing, no good male athletes will want to go and play in California anymore. More recruiting room for us.