Defense wins games....

Sports Forum West

Varsity Lurker
This is a tall assignment this week. defense wins games when your offense has enough punch to score some and capitalize on turnovers. GT needs a lot of turnovers this week. Hey, miricles can happen.

For those of you who were not aware of it, BYU spotted USC 21 1st quarter points on a fumble inside their own 15, a late hit which extended a 3/out drive one play longer and SC scored on a long pass play, and nine seconds later on a DL snagging a lateral out of the air and returning it about 15 yards for a score. BYU manhandled USC's lines and held them to 301 total yards while gaining nearly 300 yards in the second half alone. I thought GT's defensive line was better than USC's supposedly great line. GT's offensive line was better than SC's also. Two costly mistakes late in the game led to USC scores in the closing minutes and made the game look like a blowout but actually, this game was 4 plays from being a major upset. as SC only put 14 offensive points on the board all night. The other 21 were red zone turnovers. One was off a non-fumble fumble (funny play as the ball squirted out when the player hit the ground with the ball - ground can't cause a fumble). Well, BYU would sure like to have a crack at that game again.

West,
We both knew that BYU and 22 was a good bet.I am not surprised that USC got a lot of points off mistakes.That is what breaks up close games many times.I didn't see BYU improving that much in a week.Oddly Awbern also had a bunch of penalties against Tech.I guess that speed does cause problems.
That BYU QB will cause problems for anyone.
You mentioned the Tech DL but not many teams will have better pair of LBs than Smith and Fox.May become one the best pairs EVER at Tech.

BYU will be fine this year.

Most important thing is that they have their traditional excellent QB play back again this year.

Last year, IMO, the big problem with them was the QB play - when they rolled into Atlanta, I couldn't believe what I was watching - this is the great QB factory?

But Berry did a great job of reading the pressure against us, and throwing into its weakness. He made us really limit our blitz package, IMO, with his excellent decision making.

There is no reason you guys can't go into South Bend and win this year - just don't give them the TOs.

I would not be shocked with 9 wins for BYU this year.

Back