"(Defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta)...

I've known him for years.

As you can tell, I like and respect him a lot. He's the REAL DEAL.

Techbert, you are an intelligent man, but I finally have something to disagree with you. Yes, it is true that in order to be a place that good talent wants to work, that we must encourage growth, promotion and transfer when appropriate. Healthy organizations may provide the opportunity but they don't always let the talent get away.

If you look at the best long term programs of the last 30 years you must include FSU, VPI and PSU in that grouping. All three have had good coordinators that stayed virtually the whole time during their "reign". Since Tenuta is being paid head coach wages equal to half of D1, then I don't think it unreasonable to wish for him to stay.

I didn't think it was going to happen but I didn't think we'd keep him this long either. Maybe folks just like scheming more than recruiting, travelling to alumni functions, etc. And maybe family comes into play too. Here's hoping.

By the way, as an aside, Friedgen coaches tonight. He is very close to being on the hot seat I would think and this year will really tell the tale. Friedgen took Vanderlinden's experienced and deep team and made them winners. But so far, he has not been able to do that with his own players. Head coaching is a whole lot more than just deciding when to go for it on fourth down.

I Hope There's More Than One Point On Which We Disagree

What's the fun of agreeing all the time? Just don't attack my homeys without having your facts straight. That is what gets my dander up.

Continuity versus Growth. Yeah, the top programs have career coordinators. Good for them. Yet I doubt any of those programs hold back their coordinators, or they would lose them or they'd go sour.

FSU lost multiple offensive coordinators in the last decade to HFC opportunities. Scott, Amato, and Richt come to mind. (I dunno their actual titles. One or more may have been senior position coaches.) It's only Andrews that is stuck there, and that boy just ain't right. I dunno about the other programs.

I'm not saying to show CJT the door. I am saying that when the Friedgens of our staff want to move on, we help them. Just like FSU.

Friedgen is the poster child of the "Effective For A Coupla Years Hardass Coaches." I thank him for what he did at GT, which was considerable, but I'd rather have CCG as our HFC. I thought Vanderlinden was hosed.

Shoot, unfortunately...we agree. Yes, of course we help them move on if that's what they want, but here's to hoping that Tenuta enjoys things just like they are and that he'd be happy being Tech's head coach one day.

By the way, Paterno had **** as the DC for most of his best years (his name is right on the tip of my tongue), VPI has Foster and FSU has Andrews. Actually now I think of it, I wonder how often DC's move on to be head coaches at any level. There just are not a whole lot.

I wonder if traditionally DC's mind set is different as in "reacting to an offense" instead of "proacting* one". One tears down, the other builds. Maybe successful head coaches tend to come from the offense for a reason.

*mid's dictionary of useful words.

p.s. Vanderlinden was hosed. But if you are ever going to bring someone that you hope makes a huge impression on your hurting program, then why not when you have 21 of 22 starters back and you only lose a handful of seniors the next season too?

Mid, was it Jerry Sandusky...

at Penn State? That seems to ring a bell.

And for the record, I will gladly defer to someone who appears to know more about the subject (CJT) than I do.

I'm not convinced he'd be the right HC for us, but I hope he stays here forever. In fact, even though I have some doubts, I certainly think he's earned the right to be on our short list. If he ever became our HC, without fail, he would have my total and complete support. And if he went somewhere else as the HC or even as the DC, I would root hard for his success, just as I do, for example, for O'Leary, Fridge and Roof

FWIW, the rumor that scared me the most was CJT to Meeechagun, as DC. Lloyd Carr just being there may have been a great ally to friends of Tech.

Re: I've known him for years.

Stick said:
As you can tell, I like and respect him a lot. He's the REAL DEAL.

Stick, I agree with you that JT is the real deal, 100%, as a DC. And probably as a HC if he has his mind and heart in it. But let me ask you this since you know Tenuta so well. I think CG and JT have gotten thick over the last few years as I think they both respect each other very much, so I assume JT would not want to leave GT in a lurch. And it appears that JT will have his choice of several HC positions after this season, or the next for sure.
Do you you have any inkling if JT/CG has any succession plan in place?
Is there anyone on staff that JT has condfdence in taking over the D that JT has tutored?
Thanks for your insight.

I think Tenuta would bite my head off

and crap down my neck if I tried to speak for him, here or anywhere. That's why I've been so careful to give only my impressions/opinions.

That being said, if it's not the right COLLEGE head coaching job, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I think the UNC fanbase would crucify their AD if he hired Tenuta. He is not well respected by their fans based on their belief that he cost them several high profile recruits while DC there.

I also can't see NCState hiring an assistant if they fire Chuckie. The AD barely survived the basketball coach hiring process and I think he would have to find a name candidate if he goes looking for a new football coach. Definitely one with HC experience.

UVA certainly makes sense, but I don't see Groh getting the axe for at least 2 more years if this year's trend continues.

DC's To HFC's

I'd hire a DC, personally, if everything else is equal. OC's tend to be those dreamer inventive geniuses that get hired, while DC's tend to be the attention-to-detail pragmatic realists that get passed over. Or so that's the perceptions.

Erk at GSU is the classic case of what I've seen more than once. The defense becomes stout, as you'd expect, and the former-DC installs the offense that they would LEAST like to defend against. And they score a billion points.

Re: DC's To HFC's

You simply can't make any generalizations that are meaningful. For every Erk Russell you bring up there's a Carl Torbush. If JT is a guy who can motivate and produce winners, you have to see it in him individually. Comparing him to someone else or his situation to someone else's in making a decision is a sure fire way to blow it.

FWIW, Bill Lewis was a DC remember?

Lewis

Lewis lived off what Erk left when he was a DC at UGA. He then had some so-so HFC years until Logan/OC started winning games for him. Homer misread his skill. I'm saying that he was not a great DC, so why think he would be a great HFC?

Every coach is different. No question. For every Mark Richt there is also a Brad Scott. Some have what it takes and some do not.

Unscientifically, I think more mediocre HFC's were OC's. This is because I unscientifically think OC's get hired more. The great HFC's seem to be split down the middle.

Back