Did Bilbo play last night?

Wrecked

Varsity Lurker
I don't remember him getting on the field. Did I just miss him?

While Ball was adequate and seemed to run the offense he was giving, I could not help but wonder what Bilbo would have done running the same game plan. As good as Ball looked, let's not overlook the huge mistakes he did make that cost us points. If Ball is the guy, I do not want us using the freshman QB excuse this year. He better be playing because he is the best QB.

Player participation on RR.com says no.

Bilbo is not a QB anymore.

Bilbo did not play. I thought Ball was exciting and the QB of the future. I still believe Bilbo is too good of an athlete to be sitting on the bench. TB or HB would be great positions for him. Think of the threat he would be on a HB option pass. He needs to be in the game.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
As good as Ball looked, let's not overlook the huge mistakes he did make that cost us points.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Huh? Maybe we watched different games. There were two instances where it looked like there was miscommunication on routes - one was a post to Freddy in the end zone - it looked like JS did a hook. The other was the int, where Freddy posted and Reggie threw the corner. You assume those are both Reggie's fault, I guess.

I think Bilbo or Suggs would had a very similiar performance to Ball last night. It was a very conservative offense that rarely put the quarterback in a position to make mistakes. Ball made a nice throw on the fade route during the game. I loved his speed on the run. IMHO he is the one who should have been moved to receiver with that type of speed. On the other hand he over threw receivers several times on plays that I saw both Dbo and Suggs make in the spring game. Like the original post I would have really like to see Dbo get his chance. I think we would have been very happy. He can make that long throw with little effort
I also am worried that promises were made about playing time and a slash type offense that are not showing here to keep him from transferring. If he is not going to play at Tech, Gailey should have encoraged him to transfer not have a long talk and convince him to stay. He just has too much athleticism and talent to be riding the bench.

Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Wrecked:
As good as Ball looked, let's not overlook the huge mistakes he did make that cost us points.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Huh? Maybe we watched different games. There were two instances where it looked like there was miscommunication on routes - one was a post to Freddy in the end zone - it looked like JS did a hook. The other was the int, where Freddy posted and Reggie threw the corner. You assume those are both Reggie's fault, I guess.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I was referring to the delay of game and the missed skinny post to Smith for a TD.

Originally posted by gtmg:
I also am worried that promises were made about playing time and a slash type offense that are not showing here to keep him from transferring. If he is not going to play at Tech, Gailey should have encoraged him to transfer not have a long talk and convince him to stay. He just has too much athleticism and talent to be riding the bench.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My thoughts exactly.

I was referring to ... the missed skinny post to Smith for a TD.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If you rewatch that play, you'll see where Freddy let up - I think that he was running a hook rather than a post.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by gtmg:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My thoughts exactly.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I mentioned this briefly in another thread. I don't see how Chan Gailey will be able to lead this team if he does not keep his word on this situation involving Damarius Bilbo. Maybe Coach Gailey will reveal his reasons why Bilbo was not involved in the gameplan over the next couple of days.

wrecked, as a big supporter of Bilbo playing qb, I believe the following: Firstly, Reggie shows a great deal of promise and will likely be the best choice long term, and Secondly, if Bilbo had of been given the exact same plays last night we would have in all probability won the game. He wouldn't have overthrown two wide open receivers for TD's. The good news is neither will Reggie in the future. THWG

if Bilbo had of been given the exact same plays last night we would have in all probability won the game. He wouldn't have overthrown two wide open receivers for TD's.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">On what basis do you say this? I assume you saw the Fresno State game....

On the other hand he over threw receivers several times on plays that I saw both Dbo and Suggs make in the spring game
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Last year Dbo consistantly overthrew receivers and AJ consistantly underthrew them. Why would last night been any different?

Originally posted by GoldZ:
wrecked, as a big supporter of Bilbo playing qb, I believe the following: Firstly, Reggie shows a great deal of promise and will likely be the best choice long term, and Secondly, if Bilbo had of been given the exact same plays last night we would have in all probability won the game. He wouldn't have overthrown two wide open receivers for TD's. The good news is neither will Reggie in the future. THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">When have you seen Bilbo play QB well? Have you attended any practices?

Why do you think Dbo would have realized that Freddy ran the wrong routes (after the balls had been thrown, btw)?

LEE & PJ, yes I saw the Fresno crap, did you? Bilbo threw TWO beautiful long td's. The only TWO td second half at the time in about 2 months!

Did u see last year's WF game? Did u see this years Spring game when he threw a perfect bomb for a td?

I'm NOT dissing RB. Only pointing out how last night on 2 critical plays, Bilbo would have likely connected. Neither of the plays I'm referencing had anything to do with a wrong route. Smith and Curry were simply wide open for td's and the ball was badly overthrown by a very talented yet juiced up freshman. ok? THWG

Originally posted by GoldZ:
LEE & PJ, yes I saw the Fresno crap, did you? Bilbo threw TWO beautiful long td's. The only TWO td second half at the time in about 2 months!

Did u see last year's WF game? Did u see this years Spring game when he threw a perfect bomb for a td?

I'm NOT dissing RB. Only pointing out how last night on 2 critical plays, Bilbo would have likely connected. Neither of the plays I'm referencing had anything to do with a wrong route. Smith and Curry were simply wide open for td's and the ball was badly overthrown by a very talented yet juiced up freshman. ok? THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hmmm...may want to check RamblinWreck.com. They say that Dbo threw ONE touchdown pass. They also say he threw FOUR interceptions.

Did you see this fall's practices, where Dbo would throw the ball in the dirt?

Watching Bilbo last year, I think he does generally throw an accurate deep ball. But, he struggled with the short stuff. I think Ball is a better option for consistancy. Bilbo would be feast or famine. He is exciting though.

Should I even respond to the insinuation that Suggs might have performed better than Ball? He is erratic on short throws and five yards short on the long ones.

Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
When have you seen Bilbo play QB well? Have you attended any practices?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I saw Bilbo throw a 71 yard TD pass to his third option against Wake Forest in the 4th qaurter. He was never given another chance and Suggs got an illegal forward pass penalty. Game lost. For a guy who has been given few chances, Bilbo has to be the most trashed player I've ever seen. He's been potrayed by Gailey and a number of posters as being stupid and lazy yet somehow has not flunked out. The real reason Gailey moved him out of the QB position was so he could run that conservative offense that is not much ahead of the T-formation. If Bilbo had started, Gailey would have had to use a more open shotgun attack to utilize Bilbo talents. Gailey isn't comfortable in that kind of offensive scheme. As far as practice reports goes, I have no confidence in them. If they were accurate, Suggs would have been All-ACC last year and P.J Daniels would have had a breakout game against BYU instead of averaging less than 4 yards per carry. P.J's a great kid with a lot of heart but from what I've seen of him, he's an average running back.

Back