did Dukes coach

oldfoggy

Dodd-Like
get fired, quit or what? See what happen when you leave the country for 2 weeks every thing happens and I'm not aware of any of it.

He got fired basically locker room style after losing to WF where he was down 42-0 at the half.
Canned him rather quickly and appointed Ted to finish the season.

I will say this, out of respect Let's not be hard on Franks, got word from insider there were problem's beyond our comprehesion.

John, have some more scotch and tell us about those problems. I still don't understand being down 42-0 at the half, firing the head coach, and putting the dc in as acting coach!

drinking.gif

Don't know anything about the "deeper" problems but the surface problems were bad enough. In a nut shell the team quit on Franks and their play and effort was atrocious. I think the AD just decided enough was enough and tried to put a spark in the team to at least play with passion the rest of the year whether they won or not.

In short the play of the team was an embarassment that left him with no choice - even during the season.

Franks' wife has had some serious health issues I believe and he deserves consideration for that. By all accounts he's a great guy and very sincere in his concern for his players' all around development. All that said, he was in way over his head from day one and was a horrible hire. Duke assumed that he actually had something to do with Florida's offense when he was actually more like Spurrier's caddie.

What was Spurrier thinking when he recommended Franks, do you suppose? Is he so ego-ridden that he can't tell the difference between a caddy and a creative coach? Or did he want Franks to have a couple of seasons of head coach salary and experience? Or did he just blow it?

Back