Did Not Realize Our Run To Pass Ratio Was So....

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
balanced SAT. We ran 41 times and passed 38. It seemed like we were throwing 2 out of 3 downs. I was surprised that we only netted 84 or so yards rushing, heck, PJ got 50 on that one run in the 4th quarter. We must have had several significant negative rushing plays or sacks. Overall I like the balance. I think Gailey has done an excellent job bringing Ball along slowly and not letting him get frustrated or lose his confidence. Looking back, ole FRIDGE may have expected a little too much out of FR Hamilton. By the way, did we ever run a screen?
South Georgia Jacket

Don't know if we ran any screens, but PJ had 5 or 6 catches. At least 2 of those were shovel passes.
Not only were they pretty much even, the first half we had 18min TOP and St. had 11..
Pretty good half time stats..

don't forget sacks count as running plays...so 5 of those running plays were actually passing plays...

Reggie needs to work on throwing the ball away when the play isn't there. He's taken too many sacks all year. That is the only big complaint I had of him on Saturday. Just one of those little things where experience matters. I like that he has the ability to use his legs and make plays, but you got to know when to fold 'em.

Originally posted by kirbee:
Reggie needs to work on throwing the ball away when the play isn't there. He's taken too many sacks all year. That is the only big complaint I had of him on Saturday. Just one of those little things where experience matters. I like that he has the ability to use his legs and make plays, but you got to know when to fold 'em.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes. Especially in the red zone. I've noticed several times where we've been sacked on 1st down in the red zone. One game it happened multiple times (I think it was Clemson). If the ball is thrown through the back of the endzone, you won't be flagged for intentional grounding - there has to be a receiver in the general vicinity of where the ball is thrown.

I'll agree with the throw the ball away suggestion, but only if he's outside the tackles (obviously in the red zone, throw it out of the back of the end zone). Because of that, and because of his speed, my hope is that we keep putting Reggie out on the corners on rollouts. This will either let him throw the ball away or run with it (even better than a throwaway if you have a kid with 4.4 speed
smile.gif
).

A reason why we didn't get more than just 84 yards rushing is NCState's defense. Before the game last saturday, their defense was ranked around 20th in the nation in rushing and around 113th in passing.

Back