Did you know?

18in32

Petard Hoister
There seemed to me to be some surprise that we had anonymous donors who could give the millions needed for the locker room renovation. I think we have more rich fans than the rest of us realize.

We are at a distinct disadvantage to UGA when it comes to fanbase, merchandise sales, etc. But I think in the realm of 'high-dollar donors' we're in similar position.

From FY 2016 for GTAA:
Annual operating revenue: $63.7 million
Current assets: $12.6 million
Non current assets-investments: $98.4 million
Non current assets-pledges, etc.: $9.8 million

So the GTAA's total current + non-current assets (excluding assets like buildings and land) totals $120.8 million.

From FY 2017 for UGA's AA:
Annual operating revenue: $130.3 million
Current assets: $49.0 million
Non current assets-investments: $50.9 million
Non current assets-pledges, etc.: $0.5 million

So the UGA AA's total current + non-current assets (again excluding assets like buildings and land) totals $100.4 million.

Obviously UGA dwarfs us in the category which matters the most: income. But in terms of 'what's in the bank,' we're actually in a better position than they are.

Small consolation for the current states of our two programs, but facts I thought I'd disseminate.

michael-scott-mo-money-mo-problems.gif

If we cashed out everything, how much could we divvy up?

If we cashed out everything, how much could we divvy up?
While there's been much confusion about that elsewhere on this board... that actually is the definition of a non-profit. Ain't no divvying up allowed. Unless as compensation, obvs. Not sure what services you were offering to perform.

While there's been much confusion about that elsewhere on this board... that actually is the definition of a non-profit. Ain't no divvying up allowed. Unless as compensation, obvs. Not sure what services you were offering to perform.
My services are dependent on how much we are thinking about divvy-ing up.

There seemed to me to be some surprise that we had anonymous donors who could give the millions needed for the locker room renovation. I think we have more rich fans than the rest of us realize.

We are at a distinct disadvantage to UGA when it comes to fanbase, merchandise sales, etc. But I think in the realm of 'high-dollar donors' we're in similar position.

From FY 2016 for GTAA:
Annual operating revenue: $63.7 million
Current assets: $12.6 million
Non current assets-investments: $98.4 million
Non current assets-pledges, etc.: $9.8 million

So the GTAA's total current + non-current assets (excluding assets like buildings and land) totals $120.8 million.

From FY 2017 for UGA's AA:
Annual operating revenue: $130.3 million
Current assets: $49.0 million
Non current assets-investments: $50.9 million
Non current assets-pledges, etc.: $0.5 million

So the UGA AA's total current + non-current assets (again excluding assets like buildings and land) totals $100.4 million.

Obviously UGA dwarfs us in the category which matters the most: income. But in terms of 'what's in the bank,' we're actually in a better position than they are.

Small consolation for the current states of our two programs, but facts I thought I'd disseminate.

Just read that four Tech alums on the PGA Tour have aggregate winnings of $91 million. Probably an additional $100 million in endorsements. That's over and above all the NFL and NBA alums. Not even touching the business world. Dollars are not the issue. I would guess Tech alums have a wide range of interests as to what they contribute to. Clempsen, Mutts, Bama contributors live and die over one thing--football.

Just read that four Tech alums on the PGA Tour have aggregate winnings of $91 million. Probably an additional $100 million in endorsements. That's over and above all the NFL and NBA alums. Not even touching the business world. Dollars are not the issue. I would guess Tech alums have a wide range of interests as to what they contribute to. Clempsen, Mutts, Bama contributors live and die over one thing--football.

The last people on earth that donate to tech are millionaire ex SA that made their millions in sports. Its simply a fact.

The AA and the common fan would love if they would. They just dont. I think one of the few in the past 30 years was price. And it was one time 500k. I think perhaps one baseball player did along the way too.

But not many more than a few. And none have given back to the levels we read about

The last people on earth that donate to tech are millionaire ex SA that made their millions in sports. Its simply a fact

Maybe they feel like their money will go to waste since they know the academic side is really in control of just what the AA can do. They saw it from the inside and felt it was a lost battle. Perhaps Stansbury can change it.

The last people on earth that donate to tech are millionaire ex SA that made their millions in sports. Its simply a fact.

The AA and the common fan would love if they would. They just dont. I think one of the few in the past 30 years was price. And it was one time 500k. I think perhaps one baseball player did along the way too.
Mark Teixeira contributed a significant amount to the baseball program. Most big donors are likely in there 50s or older and there aren't a lot of older wealthy athletes.

Mark Teixeira contributed a significant amount to the baseball program. Most big donors are likely in there 50s or older and there aren't a lot of older wealthy athletes.

He endowed a scholarship. Most likely 500k or 1 million. Thats along the lines what i mentioned. Only a few did. Price was another.

thats basically it. No one has sunk big bucks into any of our programs (ie 5 million for a lockeroom etc)

We have had many SA that made their millions in business donate big bucks, like kim king. Just not professional athletes.

He endowed a scholarship. Most likely 500k or 1 million. Thats along the lines what i mentioned. Only a few did. Price was another.

thats basically it. No one has sunk big bucks into any of our programs (ie 5 million for a lockeroom etc)

We have had many SA that made their millions in business donate big bucks, like kim king. Just not professional athletes.

Well, for one, only your mega stars can drop that kind of coin. Even then, an athlete has lots to consider before just giving a chunk like that away. Most make all their money before the age of 30 or 35. That’s a long time before true retirement age. Depending on the sport (football and basketball), there’s also long term health bills to consider.

I’m not really surprised athletes in general aren’t or don’t give. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s NOT only a Tech thing.

UT is lucky having a Peyton Manning Player’s Lounge in other words.

But not many more than a few. And none have given back to the levels we read about
I'm sure most of the non-golfers feel more like they were exploited while here vs receiving a free education and opportunity. The golfers, on the other hand, probably led a privileged life growing up (generalize much?) and golfing for a school probably doesnt feel much different than golfing at mom and dads country club growing up and the junior tournaments they played in. In fact, most of their college competition was the same competition they faced as juniors. I think the golfers would be the most likely to donate and feel attachment to their school (like it was their college choice anyway, not a scholly opportunity) but I guess I'm wrong.

It isn’t really safe to account for investments the way you are measuring it without understanding liabilities and cash flows. It likely includes major capital assets that are not likely to convert to cash at any point. The GT AA operates at a realized loss while UGA operates at a realized gain of about $5-6m. Once you add in nonoperating expenses the divide gets worse. Our change in net position in 2016 was -15m, UGA in 2017 was +30. At the end of the day UGA is better set up long-term than GT.

Calvin needs to donate so recruits can see “Megatron’s Arcade and Mashed Potatoes Bar”

Back