Discipline:

Wylie76

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Serious question here for the unbiased of opinions...

Is it just me, or does it seem that CGC's teams thus far are very undisciplined? It's mind numbing at the amount of Personal Foul/Dead Ball Fouls that these kids are getting as it's compared to the disciplined approach of CPJ. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the in your face ... yank you by the facemask while calling you a "Csucka" or "Mf'r" etc.....but this is ridiculous.

I think we had at my last count 5 in the 1st half against NCST which is too dang many for a full game imo.

I don't have an issue with CGC's buddy buddy mindset if it's producing more than Recruiting Clippings. However, with the product we've had on the field is basically rewarded with a kickball, homerun derby, etc instead of FOOTBALL PRACTICES because you've had free time..... that leads to bs like what we're seeing....not to mention injuries, etc

I'm sure I'll catch flack from some of the youngsters on here that Looooooove CGC's approach and the fact he's bringing in a staggering number of 4 stars (but yet to game plan or coach up the one behind center).....

I thought we have been last or near last in the ACC in penalties since CGC got here. It appears to me that discipline has been a consistent issue. Fear may not be CGC’s motivator of choice but sometimes it’s the best tool e.g. ingraining proper mental preparedness

Is there a stat-keeper anywhere that shows WHO gets the penalties each time? Curious to see which players cause the most penalties.

I remember coach getting asked about this and he basically said they get on em in practice but they don’t want to humiliate the kids on national tv.

I remember coach getting asked about this and he basically said they get on em in practice but they don’t want to humiliate the kids on national tv.
We had plenty of untimely penalties under CPJ. The late hit by Cooper Taylor against VT was BS. Sneezy threw the punch heard around the world against them on a game we almost certainly would have won without the penalty. We had the infamous lip reading on a false start where CPJ says "are you just stupid?" to one of our tackles on what would have certainly been a QB sneak for a first down near the goal line.

We need to clean things up, for sure, but it isn't like we had no penalties before.

We had plenty of untimely penalties under CPJ. The late hit by Cooper Taylor against VT was BS. Sneezy threw the punch heard around the world against them on a game we almost certainly would have won without the penalty. We had the infamous lip reading on a false start where CPJ says "are you just stupid?" to one of our tackles on what would have certainly been a QB sneak for a first down near the goal line.

We need to clean things up, for sure, but it isn't like we had no penalties before.

Agreed....it just appears that Personal Fouls are more often than not. I can handle others....yes still undisciplined but the happen....but personal fouls are ridiculous and when you get 3 or 4 that kill drives....it's an issue

It’s almost as if, the younger the player is, the more undisciplined? Weird. Who woulda thought playing underclassmen could possibly produce such results?
Pretty much you get a veteran team, like ND, and the team has jelled. They are all on the same page. Younger players probably get frustrated. Maybe jump a bit trying to make a play. Maybe take out frustration for not making a play. Perhaps hold because the bigger, stronger, 23 year old across the line has been in an S&C program for 4-5 years and is just stronger and better.

Pretty much you get a veteran team, like ND, and the team has jelled. They are all on the same page. Younger players probably get frustrated. Maybe jump a bit trying to make a play. Maybe take out frustration for not making a play. Perhaps hold because the bigger, stronger, 23 year old across the line has been in an S&C program for 4-5 years and is just stronger and better.
Agreed. Muscle memory is the way, that’s why one practices. There is group “muscle memory”, as well. Gonna pay off in four years.

Yes, we had some penalties under CPJ, but I would imagine less. Partly because we had few snaps on which to get penalties and partly because penalties are more damaging to an option team.

On D, we are more aggressive than before, so we should expect more penalties.

And CGC’s philosophy of pumping up the players is going to lead to more penalties.

So having more penalties is part of the philosophy. The key is balancing the penalties with big plays because your hyped. Getting back the 5 yards from a false start because your playing up tempo. Making up for the PI by picking up an additional interception because you’re playing aggressive.

Right now, we don’t seem to be good enough to offset the penalty yards. We are on the reckless side of playing with an edge, but we aren’t that far over.

However, with the product we've had on the field is basically rewarded with a kickball, homerun derby, etc instead of FOOTBALL PRACTICES because you've had free time..... that leads to bs like what we're seeing....not to mention injuries, etc
...you do realize the NCAA sets a weekly limit on organized team practice, right? Coach can’t just call everyone up and tell em to throw on pads.

Don't forget, when Beamer was at VT, there was always the first quarter, let's get this out of the way, chop block call against us to placate Beamer

It could be discipline and there probably is some of that, but there is also a tremendous amount of youth on the field. So even if CGC is teaching discipline, the kids just haven't been coached by him for very long.

I think the youth explains a lot of the non-personal foul penalties... false starts, holding, etc. The personal foul stuff better get cleaned up next year.

It could be discipline and there probably is some of that, but there is also a tremendous amount of youth on the field. So even if CGC is teaching discipline, the kids just haven't been coached by him for very long.

I think the youth explains a lot of the non-personal foul penalties... false starts, holding, etc. The personal foul stuff better get cleaned up next year.
We also have blocking assignments that need cleaned up. It seems teams are pretty successful against us using a slightly delayed blitz package (count to 2 Alligators and go).

I thought we have been last or near last in the ACC in penalties since CGC got here. It appears to me that discipline has been a consistent issue. Fear may not be CGC’s motivator of choice but sometimes it’s the best tool e.g. ingraining proper mental preparedness
We were one of the least penalized teams last year. 3rd in conf on number and yards. Basically we had 2 poor games (one of those games I think we had a bad half) and everyone remembers it, has made up their mind and no evidence will change it. Very typical.

This season we have had 3 awful games but 2 of them were more recent where we are playing a lot of young players. FWIW, we are 3rd worse in the conf but basically 6 teams are all about the same so we aren’t some outlier in this regard.

We are an inexperienced team where practiced was screwed up by COVID. Using this season as proof of anything is silly. Time will tell.

Actually, last year our rate of penalties was very low which surprised me. Think many of them came at very inopportune times (Citadel) or were repeats (illegal participation). This year though, we are, last I looked, 124th out of 130 teams. Not good and costing us opportunities to potentially win games. Personally, I view it as a lack of discipline that comes from the coach. Others will disagree.

Seems we have committed several unnecessary pass interferences - especially against NC State last week - although one was a phantom call.

Sometimes if the defender gets out of position it might be better to commit the penalty than allow the catch, but a lot of them seem to be on balls that would be difficult to catch or are fairly uncatchable.

Back