Disscussion Only: Adams response to athlete special admits

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
For Dissussion Only
Athens Banner Herald/Daily News
A vocal demonstration of an administration committed to winning first.
The widening gap between admissions requirements for students and those for student-athletes reveals sticky issues at UGA and other universities across the state and country.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
''I don't like them, and I voted against them,'' said Adams. ''It doesn't mean that we're required (to accept the lowered standards), but it does mean that you have to take into consideration all of the competitive issues that go into being a member of the SEC.''
Dooley said UGA could still require standards for athletic recruits more in line with the university-wide admissions standards, ''but then you're going to put yourself at an extreme competitive disadvantage - to go it alone, so to speak.''
Both Dooley and Adams recognize the tension between declining admissions standards for athletes and the university's rising admissions standards.
''I do know it's challenging to bring athletes in to compete in an atmosphere in which the standards are going higher and higher here,'' said Dooley. But he added that if athletes are held to the same admissions standards as other students, ''then we can't have an intercollegiate athletic program.''
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just thought you'd enjoy seeing how the other half lives.

Studies have revealed that smokers tend to have a lower IQ... this being said I suppose someone has to be the drug dealers on the UGAg campus... may as well kill 2 birds with one stone and let the SA's be both...
tongue.gif

Well, there it is, hivers. Ugag clearly saying that athletes must have a different admissions policy.

Ugag must have one set of standards for students and another set for athletes. In other words, no "student-athletes" required at Ugag to compete athletically.

Why shouldn't the Ugag players be paid? That would be more honest than pretending they studied, took tests, attended the classes and participated in academics.

F$U is spouting the same crap. It will be interesting to see if the standards really do change for college football.

If every one lowers their standards then Tech will be in the same category as Army, Navy and the AF. We would have to add PE or something like that just to be able to compete. I think the colleges and Univ. should be raising standard not lowering them.
pat.gif

Amen, Oldfoggy, the schools should be raising standards. Every other effort, discipline, business, performance in America is striving for progressive betterment. Only the schools of America are dumbing down. Rather than a synthesis of "student" and "athlete" the schools are taking the unilateral side of "athlete" while jettisoning "student." This is IMO professionalism in the "athletic" ranks in the schools. Why, because the athlete is not there for academics, they are there for credentials alone. The school gets an athlete, and the athlete gets either a diploma which has only pretend academics associated with it, or he gets a pro career.

Back