Do you think any school in the SEC

texstinger

Dodd-Like
would leave to join the ACC? (Hell no). Do you think any school in the ACC would leave to join the SEC? (in a darn heart beat) Disagree/Agree?

Up until North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia tarnished the image of the ACC, I would give a definite yes to some SEC teams that would have considered the ACC.

I think Vanderbilt and South Carolina could have been tempted if it were for expansion of the ACC.

I can see only two possibilities of anyone in the ACC that would even consider the SEC. One might be FSU. They fit right in with the cheaters.

The other team might possibly be GT, but it would cause a big split between the Tech fans. Personally, I would not want to be back with the SEC, although I would like to play some of the teams via the OCC route. I don't believe Tech will ever be in the SEC again.

I believe some of the big money backers at Tech would balk about returning to the SEC, because of the SEC's previous attitudes. A lot of the big money backers were close to Dodd and remember how they treated him in the voting.

I do not think any other school in the ACC would have any desire to be in the SEC other than the two mentioned.

I believe Clemson, NCSU, and Maryland had rather be in the Big East rather than the SEC. I believe Clemson, NCSU, Maryland, Georgia Tech, and FSU had rather form a new conference than be in the SEC.

I believe Virginia and Virginia Tech had rather be in the Big East, ACC, or form a new conference rather than be in the SEC.

I do not believe the SEC is well liked by many of the other teams in the Eastearn Leagues.

There is no way North Carolina, Duke, nor Wake Forest would want in the SEC.

drinking.gif

I personally believe the SEC doesn't have anything on the ACC at this moment in time. Football is very comparable (think about it). Basketball and Baseball are superior. Fill in the blanks. The SEC is yesterday's news.

Original Question: "Do you think any school in the ACC would leave to join the SEC?" (in a darn heart beat) Disagree/Agree?

Yes, a hundred times yes. My only problem is one that is associated with rejection. If I remember correctly the SEC rejected us at one point (glad to be corrected) and I have trouble with that. I would gladly see us re-join the SEC, but I do not think we will ever have the opportunity. I surely
do not want us to approach them with "hat in hand".

Pure speculation obviously, but I think Clemson would seriously consider SEC membership if it were an option. I think both Tech and FSU would if the money, etc. were right.

As for SEC schools looking at the SEC, I think Vandy might consider it, and KY could be a decent match. I'm not so sure SC would come back, there were some serious hard feelings both ways when they left.

I can't find the link but it's interesting that both conferences have similar out clauses for teams leaving which make it a very expensive proposition. So as a practical matter don't look for any moves unless things become critical with conferences.

NCJ - I don't think you will find a link but the out clause of the ACC is that a school must pay 75% of the last years check from the conference. As of right now I think last year's check was $9.7 M leading to the $7 M (or so) figure you have quoted elsewhere as the cost to leave.

Long winded way of saying that I agree with you - any talk of us leaving the ACC is just that talk. The only ACC school that could possibly do that is FSU but in reality given what is going on down there in their athletic association there is no way the president is going to allow that. Maybe in 5 years or so but not now.

Originally posted by Y Jacket:
NCJ - I don't think you will find a link but the out clause of the ACC is that a school must pay 75% of the last years check from the conference. As of right now I think last year's check was $9.7 M leading to the $7 M (or so) figure you have quoted elsewhere as the cost to leave.

Long winded way of saying that I agree with you - any talk of us leaving the ACC is just that talk. The only ACC school that could possibly do that is FSU but in reality given what is going on down there in their athletic association there is no way the president is going to allow that. Maybe in 5 years or so but not now.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Then change the by-laws. This 'opt out' is financially destructive for any team! It's obvious that the ACC has not made much movement since 1953 in changing the way they do business. You get in and then your held as a financial prisoner - it's funny what you find out when things are less peaceful.
shocked.gif

I would not want to see GT go back to the SEC and I don't think Clemson and FSU would, they could have done it a long time ago. I really believe because they have been advocates for ACC expansion for years with Tech - they want to see this (their league) move into the 21st century.

IMO opinion, I'd doubt any SEC schools would want to leave with the exception of Arkansas (to the Big 12). Arkansas fits much better fan base wise with the Big 12. Plus eastern bowls never like the idea of inviting an Arkansas team that has such a small fan base in SEC territory.

Larry Munson, a former Vandy announcer, was appointed to a committee dealing with the future of Vandy's football program. They simply cannot compete and with a pro football team, their attendance numbers are down. They have a smallish (42,000) stadium but they used to be good at filling it.

SEC basketball, mens and womens, as well as baseball are as good as anyone else's. Through sheer numbers (12 members vs. 9) the SEC puts forward as many quality teams as the ACC.

But I like the ACC and I like the idea of expansion. The ACC could well be on its way to equaling the SEC and BIG 12 as sports power conferences. Soon, the PAC 10 will need to make a move as well just to keep up. The BIG 10 (can't count 11) has also got some catching up to do.

The ACC has such a great academic reputation and has, for the most part, been scandal free (F$U excluded). I think with expansion, the ACC is going to be a truly great conference. I hope that the next TECH ACC football title is coming soon. It will really mean something. GO JACKETS!!
drinking.gif

I love the ACC, but the SEC's sports programs overall are better. You say their football is comparable to ours. Top to bottom they have higher caliber teams. Basketball? We certainly have the reputation, but they've made great strides lately. The SEC's RPI the past few years was higher than the ACC. Baseball...Our beeball and the noles are always good, but they have LSU, MSU, and SC which seem to always up there, too.

It all comes down to money, and like it or not, the SEC makes alot of it.

Back