Does it seem like we are doing better .....

law_bee

Dodd-Like
in recruiting this year than we did with O'leary?

For some of you all who have followed it closely for a few years I was curious what your thoughts are. Are is it still too early to tell?

Well, I think Lance Thompson was a fine recruiting coordinator under O'Leary.

We are recruting better right now than I thought we would.

Has anyone seen the early national recruting rankings? I know UGA is pretty high like #7.

If any one has these rankings, please pass along.

Rivals has UGAg #1, and Insiders has them #6 last time I looked.
frown.gif

It's got a totally different feel to me because info given out isn't the same. The way we're going about recruiting seems to be differnt. With that being said seems it's too early to tell.

Since internet days there really isn't as much info on our recruits this year. I believe a lot of that has to do with the staff and how they are recruiting keeping things as quiet as they can. Just my impression.

One thing to me that's important which both staffs did and have done is recruiting to needs in the program. Just an observation.
grin.gif

I've followed recruiting since really Curry years. Not like some do now like MasterB, who really takes recruiting as a serious hobbie.

Said this on Hive; Fitting the needs of your program which deals with on the field as well as off is what's important. To me, not trying to be pompous, we're not UGA, Miami, UT, Vandy, TX, OK, FSU, UVA, or UNC. We're Georgia Tech. Feel stongly that this is a unique place. Know that other schools are as well and all want the best athletes, but few with the rich history, great scholastics, onfield competition of a major confrence that can bring a national championship. It all depends on the young man and what he wants out of life as a football player and schooling. GT isn't for everyone. Believe wholeheartedly that this institution can give a great deal to a student athlete that see's the vision of what GT is all about.

O'leary and his staff did a good job of finding a lot of young men that fit here. As a staff they sold GT well. Sense this staff is doing the same thing.

One thing we've had in past is a good deal of players leaving the program. There will always be some in any program because it's not a perfect world, but this is something I believe we need to do a better job at.

Love what I see so far in this class although we've got a long way to go till signing day. The proof in the pudding will be years down the road.

On paper this class seems as good as any of the better classes we've had at this time. Have holes to fill though.

I don't get into the ratings and all that. There are just too many players that aren't ranked high or offered by many of the top schools that turn out to be great players. Some say that isn't the rule, but if you find the right players for your system and program it can be the rule in my opinion.
wink.gif

Law Bee, I think you know I have followed rec. closely since Pepper. This is a different kind of year as someone said earlier. The staff composier is totally different than anything in the past and that may be good. We are rec. the state of Texas very hard and it is great state to rec. A lot more div.1 players there than in Ga. which makes it more interesting. I think IYC being rated #8 in Texas is like #3 in Ga. This Moore kid might be like # 25 in Ga. if you know what i'm getting at. Right at this time of rec. year I think we are far ahead of where we usually are and the top 5 or 6 top recruits that imo that we have now are excellent for our usual bounty. Right now there are about 5 recruits that are still out there that are keys to how good of a class it will be. But keep in mind and this is VERY IMPORTANT that if we lose 1 or 2 of those keys Chan might make up for those losses with some very good surprises. We might even reap those surprises and keep my personal 5 keys. If we do that well then we may be looking at a ranking of say #10 to #15. That is a possibility. The Moore kid I believe is vastly underated and I think he will turn out to be a supurb player. That in itself in a few years make our group a lot stronger. Everything I have read about him is EXTEMELY positive and right now he is considered just a good prospect. Max Emfinger gives him a 4 star which is not great, but he knows Texas area recs. and that in itself is good news. The Grant kid is an UNBELIEVABLE pickup. I don't EVER recall us going head to head FL., MIA, and FSU for a single player and winning out. I think the Orlando Sentinal ranking of #32 for Grant in Fl. is a TOTAL INJUSTICE to the kid. I do about 5 known uncomitted recs. that I want more than anyone else and I would state their names, but in case we don't get anyone of the 5 I wouldn't want other commitments to recognize a fact on this board that there was someone else who was wanted more. I like what I see so far but there is still a ways to go! This is a good year so far so don't despair. Bobby Ross told me personally to me only that he would rather sign players with vast potential than one who is on every rec. experts list that has already reached a level that he would not grow further. I am beginning to believe that with Chan. Recruiting is the life and blood of a college team don't underestimate that utmost importance. Coach Ross DID NOT like the recruiting process of which he stated and that showed after his national championship year. Chan must understand the importance of and become at least fund of this part of the college game in order to be sucessful. I believe the jury is out on that , but the returns so far are very encoureging. I am sorry for the length of this post, but I believe this is the state of this recruiting endeaver. Also I have been in the Christmas cheer! Happy Hollidays to all and good night. ME

No, it is very nearly the same. We're getting good, solid players, but still only a coupla outstanding players.
The slight diff so far is that O'L hated being without a lot of OL & therefore would always take as many OL as would come here. Other than that, it is a basic, solid class that should barely break into the top 30 nationally & keep us with a winning record for 3-4 yrs.

The oddest difference is the number of visits with CG this year compared to GOL.I understand that less than half of visits allowed will be used?Either that means we are VERY choosy/conservative on use of staff time and AA money or CG has got this recruiting thing down to perfection.
Fairly elitist I would say.Sort of like the Beverly Hills fire station that is so exclusive it has an unlisted number.There can't be so many excellent players/ students out there that want Ga Tech that we can be that reserved,can it?
Very odd,I guess we will just have to see.

AlaGold, that is most interesting. If CG is not issuing but say only a small portion of visits it could be that we going to get our first tier of recruits. Or on the other hand because its still early that if we miss out on first prioritys then we may issue visiting invitations the last 2 or 3 weeks. But I believe the latter wouldn't be the case. By the way any news on the Thomas kid from Wisconsin?

I think that we are doing exceptionally well in recruiting this year i think we will pick up alot of players with good talent and win more games next season than this year.

Go Jackets!!!
wink.gif

Originally posted by AlaGold:
The oddest difference is the number of visits with CG this year compared to GOL.I understand that less than half of visits allowed will be used?Either that means we are VERY choosy/conservative on use of staff time and AA money or CG has got this recruiting thing down to perfection.
Fairly elistist I would say.Sort of like the Beverly Hills fire station that is so exclusive it has an unlisted number.There can't be so many excellent players/ students out there that want Ga Tech that we can be that reserved,can it?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Fairly elistist I would say.Sort of like the Beverly Hills fire station that is so exclusive it has an unlisted number.There can't be so many excellent players/ students out there that want Ga Tech that we can be that reserved,can it?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ala, please provide the basis for your comments? Who says that we aren't using all of the alloted visits. Any links.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't quite understand. Are you saying Tech is not bringing to campus half as many recruits as they are allowed or is it that Coach Gailey is not making half as many inhouse visits that he as the Head Coach is allowed? Please clarify for me.

Ramblinwise,
Law got his visit number from Jojatk's lunch bunch report posted a little down the page. Coach Wilson says we've only used about 22 visits this yr, so far. We are allowed 56 & can have 6 carry overs from last yr giving us a grand total of 62 visits if we want to use them. We will use a double handful on 1/10/02. Hope this helps & I'll put the lunch bunch report here for easy access.

Coach Wilson speaks @ Lunch Bunch

No, we are not doing as well as O'Leary. Recruiting was O'Leary's strongest area as a coach.

ramsting, any supporting evidence for either of your statements?

IMO we are about on par with where we usually are. Let's face it, most of our good classes are top 25-30, not top 10 per recruiting "experts". O'Leary did a good job of identifying kids who fit our needs w/o worrying about what the recruiting services said. So far Chan seems to be able to do the same.

ncjacket, no, my statements wre just superficial opinions based on no evidence whatsoever. I guess I should have labeled them as such in my post. Actually, no one will have any "evidence" on Chan's recruiting until we see how his first couple of classes turn out in a couple more years. I hope he turns out to be a great recruiter. I don't follow recruiting as closely as fans like Techrod. I just don't thinkwe are getting the bluechippers from Ga like O'leary did. [ I am grateful for every fine young man who has committed to Tech, however. Welcome!].

Back