Does this scare anybody

helluvaparamedic

Damn Good Rat
Has anyone read this article about RB in the Macon Telegraph?

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/georgia_tech/14312951.htm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekhair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekhair.gif

The part about him not having to learn any new wrinkles to the offense, does that mean that CCG is ultimately in control of the offense and NOT Patrick Nix? Does that mean that Patrick Nix' offense will not be turned loose? Does this mean that we can expect more of the same stagnant, lackluster offfensive production? I'm starting to get a queasy feeeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink2.gif

And the part about not having to beat out a young upstart for a job is bonechlling, considering his performance thus far, and the fact that there will be a huge question mark at QB for 2007.

Spring football is typically a time for working on fundamentals and taking a look at younger players. It is not a time for installation. Installation comes in the fall.

I may be worried, but I'll put if off until August.

It's a little early to tell. Earlier this year, Rivals wrote up a report stating that "BIG OFFENSIVE CHANGES WERE COMING." Essentially, the article said that Gailey had given up control of the plays to Nix.

But a week or so later, the AJC published an article where Gailey was quoted as saying: "I'll still have a big hand in the offense [in 2006]."

FWIW, I wouldn't get too excited about seeing a new offense this year. We might see a few new plays and a couple of different formations here and there, but overall I think it's going to be more of the same...

i'm not sure that there's much new that we could put into the offense to tell the truth. We've shown a wide variety of formations and plays over the past 3 years, we just haven't used many of them much. How much control Nix has remains to be seen, but the packages are already there, it's more of a commitment to using them than installing that much. Besides, this is a reporter saying there's no new wrinkles to learn, not Ball or any coach. It also doens't mean we won't add things in preseason practice.

Not so fast my friend. If you were facing Notre Dame in the opening game would you want them to know if you were making changes? Those of us who have been lucky or interested enough to attend practice might tell you a different story.

I think the overall philosophy of our offense is what has caused much of our problems in scoring. The offense has been designed with "playing not to lose" rather than "playing to win".

We demonstrated last year that we could indeed move the ball when the offense was aggressive, but the coaches' lack of confidence in Reggie and/or the offensive line kept the offensive philosophy in the "don't lose" mode much of the time.

Gailey has said that he now thinks the oline is a team strength, and that it's time for Reggie to step up as a senior. I think we'll see a more aggressive offensive plan overall, although in terms of specific plays there won't be much difference.

One thing to note- Nix has called the plays in the 2 minute offense which was most noteably effective in the late drives against NCS and UGA, not withstanding how they ended up. (of course, how those drives ended could well have influenced the confidence the coaches had in Ball/oline)

If Nix is indeed calling the plays, I'm certain we'll see a more aggressive O. Will Gailey still have his hands in it? Well, yes, he is the boss.

Whether you like it or not, CCG, has more offensive football in his sleep than this whole board collectively will ever know. He's conservative to a science but if the boys will start catching the ball he's a genius. My take is catch the ball. We win the conference. Or sumpin like that. Tashard runs for a hunerd! Grant runs wild! Reggie scores! Travis nails FGs. The dawgs go down!

Keep the faith!

Back