Don't forget to tune in to the ACC Network on Monday night at 7:30 pm...

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
ACC's a joke. Can't even have divisions like every other respectable conference.
Except that it does not box the conference in with respect to which team we send to the CFP if there is any unusual circumstance that could force the conference into sending the wrong team. There is an undisclosed reason they did away with divisions and I'm guessing it was for the good of the conference in some way. Why else would they have done it?

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
With a 12-team playoff, conference championship games may be a thing of the past. Put all teams in one division and the top team is champion (with a tie-breaker system in place). Most 2nd place teams in P5 conference will get one of the 12 slots anyway.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
PAC-12 led the way this past year. It's a better system.
3 Teams were tied for second place, there were 2 games played among the 3 teams. Ducks and Utes played. Ducks won. Huskies an Ducks played, Huskies won. Utes were 0-1, Ducks 1-1, Huskies 1-0. PAC picked the loser of the bunch. You can argue the Huskies had an easier schedule than the Utes, but Utes schedule was not as hard as the Ducks. Great system, they turned their conference championship selection into a popularity contest by voters that probably never watched any games any of the teams played. ACC is following the trailblazing PAC. Yeah!

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Having divisions is dumb, it's arbitrary. Look no further than how the cruelty of fate has blessed uga with the weak ass SEC East.
It’s cyclical though. Late 90s Tennessee and Florida were dominant and for a period South Carolina had spurrier

juraitwaluzka

Dodd-Like
It’s cyclical though. Late 90s Tennessee and Florida were dominant and for a period South Carolina had spurrier
True, those were better days, not much fun now though. uga fans are insufferable enough as it is, this doesn't help.

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer
Big10 and SEC still have divisions and are likely to continue leading in viewership/attendance and probably will get the most teams into a 12 team playoff. Although i'd sure miss our rivalry game, a better choice would have been to keep divisions and eliminate rivalry games and do scheduling of cross-division based on the prior years record so top teams play each other and the level of competition is increased.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Big10 and SEC still have divisions and are likely to continue leading in viewership/attendance and probably will get the most teams into a 12 team playoff. Although i'd sure miss our rivalry game, a better choice would have been to keep divisions and eliminate rivalry games and do scheduling of cross-division based on the prior years record so top teams play each other and the level of competition is increased.
I don't think they are eliminating divisions to increase the level of competition of regular season games, I think they're doing it to increase the level of competition in the title game. It's what they set the original divisions up to do (assuming it would be FSU-Miami every year) and failed miserably, so now they're trying something else.
As an aside, you really think eliminating division would change anything you said about the Big10 and SEC?

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer
I don't think they are eliminating divisions to increase the level of competition of regular season games, I think they're doing it to increase the level of competition in the title game. It's what they set the original divisions up to do (assuming it would be FSU-Miami every year) and failed miserably, so now they're trying something else.
As an aside, you really think eliminating division would change anything you said about the Big10 and SEC?
I agree with you about the 3 conferences rationale for change but the champ game is only one game.
I think those 2 conf make more money (tv viewership+ attendance) due to imbalance.
B10- OSU,Mich,Mich St,Penn ST in same
SEC- Bama,Aub,LSU,A2M in same division
I don't know how they will distribute the newbies upon arrival but think they will optimize revenue.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I agree with you about the 3 conferences rationale for change but the champ game is only one game.
I think those 2 conf make more money (tv viewership+ attendance) due to imbalance.
B10- OSU,Mich,Mich St,Penn ST in same
SEC- Bama,Aub,LSU,A2M in same division
I don't know how they will distribute the newbies upon arrival but think they will optimize revenue.
From that logic then, here is my counter. There aren't enough rich/competitive/high attendance teams in the ACC to make a division like you are talking about. Who would you stack? FSU, Clemson and who? Maybe Miami, in the years they don't suck?

If anything, the ACC already has been trying that since the whole issue from the standpoint of the championship game is the Coastal has been so öööö for so long that the title game has been a blowout more often than not for the past decade. In fact, in the past 12 years a Coastal team has won it once (one of those was 2020, where a Coastal team wasn't even in it).

I would still argue that the Big10 and SEC could drop division and still meet what you said in that sentence. Even if their viewership/attendance dropped as a result, it would still probably be more than everyone else.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
GT - Clemson Nov 11. I just turned it on.