Dr. Clough's response

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
Dr. Clough\'s response

I have decided to share this with the stingtalk community because the issue is a Tech community one and the response reveals the administrations overall direction and view of this issue. So without any personal opinion or comment here is the letter I received today from Dr. Clough:

Your concern over the recent academic struggles of certain members of our football team is understandable. When any student is dismissed, it is the concern of everyone at Georgia Tech. Of course, you understand that these student-athletes are by no means the only Tech students to endure that fate, but that does not lessen the sting of recent news coverage.

It is important not to lose sight of the big picture, most notably that of our nearly 300 scholarship student athletes, the vast majority are effectively balancing their academic responsibilities and their athletics commitments. And I'm not speaking only of the Olympic sports. Unfortunately, the focus on these 10 football players has overshadowed the many exemplary student-athletes that we have, including the 16 football players who earned Faculty Honors or Dean's List recognition last semester.

We have worked very hard over the last several years to improve our graduation rates, for student-athletes and for the general student population, and both have shown improvements. Our next reported graduation rate for student-athletes and for football in particular will be the highest that it has ever been, proof that our efforts are bearing fruit.

Every negative situation presents an opportunity to derive some positive result. This particular incident represents a setback that will ultimately help us do a more effective job in our academic support programs. We are actively working to address the issues that arose and are confident in the Georgia Tech “can do” tradition, we will find the best approach. In the long term, we are positioning our student-athletes to comply with upcoming stricter NCAA academic regulations regarding progress to graduation.

Because of my role on the NCAA Board of Directors, I am very well acquainted with the stricter academic requirements, which will present new challenges for everyone in college athletics, especially in the beginning. The term-by-term management of student-athlete eligibility that is already in place at Georgia Tech, unlike most other institutions, places us in better position with regard to the upcoming standards.

Sincerely,

Wayne Clough
President

Re: Dr. Clough\'s response

Nice dodge......or duck and cover...

Sorry - I thought that was as lame as it gets

He deftly evaded the real issues. This guy could be called DR. POISON.

71Bee ... I got one as well, same message - disappointing for me.

Ask Clough to prove that this is the highest graduation rate ever. Secondly, he is speaking of the 97 class, well, the 98 class currently stands at 20% graduation rate, the lowest ever. Why not lay all the facts out there for once Dr. and quit showing just the ones that are beneficial. Ask him as to why the Athletic Association has not shown a profit since Braine has been there, and they are currently over 50 million dollars in debt. After all, we are one of blahblahblah schools that has played in six consecutive bowl games. If these numbers are not true, I apologize, but these are some of the things floating around. It is time for a house cleaning.

Originally posted by General Wood:
Ask Clough to prove that this is the highest graduation rate ever. Secondly, he is speaking of the 97 class, well, the 98 class currently stands at 20% graduation rate, the lowest ever. Why not lay all the facts out there for once Dr. and quit showing just the ones that are beneficial. Ask him as to why the Athletic Association has not shown a profit since Braine has been there, and they are currently over 50 million dollars in debt. After all, we are one of blahblahblah schools that has played in six consecutive bowl games. If these numbers are not true, I apologize, but these are some of the things floating around. It is time for a house cleaning.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">thanks for shooting holes in the fart balloons General. It's amazing what a few facts will do.

Frightening! Scary! Disappointing! THWG

With him on the committee,Tech will be the "poster school" for the unintended consequences aspect of the great new NCAA program.
Reminds me of the British fighting the Indians in the woods in 1763,they sure looked good in their bright red unis(it was in the regulations) while they were getting massacred.

Sorry, but what a pile of VOMIT!!!! He obviously does not give a keyrap what a LOT of us think. He has not, and will not, answer specifics. 6 straight bowl games - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Carquest. OH BOY! It is time for some BIG money folks to start talking with $.

The grad student who taught my first course in statistics quoted the British statesman Benjamin Disraeli who said, "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics." Granddaddy just said"figures can lie and liars can figure."

We need to remember in dealing w/ our esteemed president that "those who can do and those who can't teach, or run tradition-rich college programs into the ground!"

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

This letter confirms everything I had previously suspected of Clough. Notice that in the 2nd paragraph he brings up "Olympic sports". To an elitist snob the olympics are the ultimate, and Clough out of nowhere, brings that up. He brags about Tech being out in front of everybody else in toughening academic standards, as if Tech was not already at enough of a disadvantage. H e wants Tech to lead the way in making academics tougher for athletes.

Without knowing if your letter only mentioned the "academic" situation, this response is another "up yours" coming from a politically correct, turtlenecked pipe smoker who should be in D.C. as a spin artist.

Uh, Mr. Clough, nowhere do you mention any commitment to the other part of the Total Person - athletics. The subject is FOOTBALL. If football fails and the seats are empty you can compete vs. Emory and Oglethorpe in all the swimming events you like. But then again that is your point, isn't it?

Father Wasp

Exactly...I couldn't have said it better myself..

I think its starting to become clear, where the problem started in the first place.....

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Without knowing if your letter only mentioned the "academic" situation, this response is another "up yours" coming from a politically correct, turtlenecked pipe smoker who should be in D.C. as a spin artist.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Father WASP,

My letter only addressed the eleven SA's. Based upon what I have heard from others, Dr. Clough's response was a form letter.

On the minus side, a form letter w/o much in the way of specifics. On the plus side it's a communications start. So far, not followed up on.

Form letter or not, it really chaps my bottom. If he wants to focus on the "big picture", how about this. WE'VE NEVER HAD 10 FOOTBALL PLAYERS FLUNK OUT AT ONE TIME! And with potentially 7 or 8 more to follow if you believe what you hear. And since he wants to toot his horn about grad rates, how are they going to look a few years down the road now that 12% of our team is gone. Don't give us a bunch of BS about how our football rate is the highest it's ever been. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore.

Back