DT situation is downright scarey.....Any rumors regarding

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
DE players who may be bulking up to switch to DT ?
Or maybe an OL players switching to DT ?

I think its obvious that one or both of the above HAS to be done..We simply cannot get through the season with the DT situation as it stands. 1-2 injuries there, and we'll be playing a 230 lb linebacker at DT...Seriously. This is, to me, what the season could hang on....People will run it up our gut unless we get creative at the DT position....We may have no choice other than to switch to a 3-4 alignment too.

My favorite is when teams run it up the middle and the RB gets his teeth thrown in the back of his throat due to Daryl Smith. I love it. Nothing makes me happier.

I understand your concern with injuries, but Parker and Brezina arent anything to play around with. They have bulked up this summer. The best thing is that both play with excitement. I have a feeling our DL will be playing for each other this season instead of for the numbers.

Relax guys we will be fine! We have got some outstanding talent and with Wrotto and Newberry we have two huge guys to plug the middle.

We won't have much depth so praying to the football gods for us to have no injuries would be a good idea
wink.gif

Gold,

I feel your pain, but we really don't have that many options. DE position is almost as scary. We have to hope that Gathers can be a factor. If so we have Henderson and Gathers at DE, but after that we have to hope that one of the true frosh or D. Williams really surprises.

As far as moving an OL, I don't see it happening. There is probably only one that could be a real factor there and he is too good to move to defense. We will have to go with the guys we've got and they have to stay healthy. Parker is a very good player, hopefully he is bigger this year. Brezina has a motor and Billy has some natural strength and good quickness, but has a limited frame. We need Newberry and Wrotto to be effective in certain spots so that we can spot Brezina and Billy. There are plenty of ifs there. The most important thing is that Gathers is effective. If he is we have some options.

Hey, remember 2001. We were pretty thin back then. We had Malone, Johnson, a banged up Watson, Fred Wright, Loesch, and Koon. We've probably got more talent than we had back then. Although, that isn't saying much.

The talent is far greater than that of 2001. We will be ok. I promise.

I don't know that we'll be okay, but we haven't been okay for a while anyway on the DL. Tenuta will have to find some bodies to plug the holes (read freshmen) and devise some schemes to cover our weaknesses. Just hope we can get some pass rush from somewhere because we can't cover weaknesses on the line and leave our DBs on an island too.

Hope Smith's eternal shoulder injury doesnt keep hurting him. Having a shoulder injury as our main run plugger is tough. You can also put Key Fox on end with his rush capabilities. Worked well last year. Of course we had more linebacking depth as well. Who knows. All I know is I would run up the middle as UGA did to us on first play last year until we prove we can stop someone without having to put 10 in the box.

I think the two freshmen (wasn't one of these two projected to become an OL player anyway?) will be good players, but I have a hard time counting on a true frosh to step up and really make a big contribution.....I hope we'll see an exception to the norm.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
I don't know that we'll be okay, but we haven't been okay for a while anyway on the DL. Tenuta will have to find some bodies to plug the holes (read freshmen) and devise some schemes to cover our weaknesses. Just hope we can get some pass rush from somewhere because we can't cover weaknesses on the line and leave our DBs on an island too.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">___________________________________________________

ncjacket

Normally I'd agree, but your comments above "haven't been ok for a while...devise schemes to cover weaknesses", etc, would have applied to our situation prior to the academic casualities....Now the situation is more desperate IMO, and I can't see schemes as covering it this year...Especially if we have ANY injuries....Hope I am wrong on this one

Gold Rush, you're probably right that we were going to have trouble enough before the academic casualties. OTOH one of the things I've always been confused about is that we haven't used many players on the DL. I understand wanting your best in as much as possible, but we also seem to wear down pretty badly in the late going. Maybe this will force the coaches to give everybody some time and maybe that alone will help. At least this seems to be one position that brute strength and size can help overcome lack of experience and technique, at least to some extant, so it's better to be young and thin on the DL than say the OL.

If the two freshmen turn out to be good at the college level, it will certainly ease the pain.

However, at this particular time, it would seem obvious to me, most teams will test our middle extensively until we prove we can handle the runs up the middle.

When Wrotto and Newberry are not on the field, we will be small. That might not be a killer for a few series of plays, but as all have said, it sure would wear us down quick up the middle.

It seems we need to rob a couple of players from other positions to strengthen the numbers at this position. We will probably need a lot of substitution at this position.

As some have already said, heck, let's go with three DTs if they are smaller. In fact we could mix it up. Use two DTs when the 300+ pounders are in the game, and three DTs when the smaller DTs are in the game.

Spencer and Tenuta will earn their money finding a good solution to this problem area.

Father Time

Ahso, why have you taken to signing your posts "Father Time"?

Do you feel like things are catching up on you?

My advice is not to worry; if you're still interested in something as gleefully youthful as college football, you ain't old!

That goes for some of you young guys too.

BellySeries, it started with a long time friend who retired from the same place as I. We both communicate via Email. He is normally the one who sends me the clever jokes.

He Started signing all of his Email with The Old Guy. I liked his signature, so I decided I would come up with one similar.

I was the first baby born in Atlanta in 1936. Each year when the first of January approaches, you see the young baby coming in and the old man "Father Time" leaving. This has come to symbolize the changing of the year on New Year's day.

Since I am one of the older guys on the board and their are so many younger guys on the board, I decided to start using the signature here. I already use Father Time as a signature between many Email friends.

drinking.gif

Would it surprise anyone if Matthews moved to DT with his size, strength, and quickness?!

Wasn't he at DE before moving to FB? At 270 he's still on the light side for a DT, I don't know anything about his relative stength. FWIW, if he really fit in at FB I'd rather see us keep him there. It's been awhile since we had a real threat at the position, somebody who can crush people with blocks and still catch the ball out of the backfield. If he can fill that role, I'd rather see us go with the young guys and use them all to keep players fresh.

Back