Duke in perspective

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
There are more than a few reasons not to play freshmen, but you just saw one at Duke and Clemson.

Clemson because of FSU and Duke because it was Duke.

This was not a lack of talent. Duke prepared and Duke got what it deserved. We didn't and we got what we deserved.

I have been mad and upset at a lot of losses. This one, I'm over. I'm mad at the kids who quit on us and their teammates. Part of the reason I get upset over a loss is that I hate seeing a group of guys that committed to Tech fight to the last inch and not get the respect they deserve.

That part is settled for me. Most of these kids don't deserve a lick of respect until they earn it back. Losing is one thing, arrogance is another.

Did they really think that Duke is so bad that a Duke player would not tackle a runner if he's not blocked? Did they think that Duke was so bad that they can't even run down the field when not tackled? Did they think that Roof was so inexperienced that he couldn't throw any curve balls?

People forget that every kid on that Duke team was STUD in high school. Not as many were as good as the same amount of guys we have, but guess what? Some were better than a lot of guys we have. That's college football.

Pick the worst DII team in America and there are some studs. Much less any DI team.

On a negative note - I have no sympathy for any person on the team that didn't take this game seriously.

I also don't really mourn this loss on their behalf. If they don't care, I don't either. They don't deserve for me to be there.

On a positive note, I have made a commitment to once again love this team, win or lose, (as long as they TRY), on Saturday at 12:00.

Proably we will see what we saw after the Clemson game. Resolve, and am understanding of what happens with little preperation.

If we get that we will do fine from here on out.

I would bet that for the next two or three years, this doesn't happen again. We've been a victim of overconfidence two ways:

1. Thinking we were better than we are (Clemson), and

2. Thinking our opponent was worse than it is (Duke).

Both rookie mistakes and the second should have NEVER happened. I will give these young guys the benefit of the doubt and hope that the stage has been set for not tolerating any lack of preperation until this group graduates.

It doesn't mean I'm not angry at them, it just means that if it ceases, all is forgiven. They don't have to win, they just have to fight until the buzzer.

Good points and spread the blame between the SRs and the coaches.After 3+ wks and 1 game you would think they would be hungary not bored,rusty, and stale.

Too often, we heard the term "Taking care of Business" before the Duke game. The problem with that attitude was that Duke didn't get the memo. To them it was personal.

Back